If I wanted the most "traditional" cruise at sea...

Ladydee

... where should I be looking?  I want the formal nights with long gowns and tuxedos, the midnight buffet (if that even exists anymore), etc.  I can appreciate all the modern marvels of floating at sea, and enjoy them, but I also would like to take a traditional voyage now and then.

9 minutes ago, Ladydee said:

... where should I be looking?  I want the formal nights with long gowns and tuxedos, the midnight buffet (if that even exists anymore), etc.  I can appreciate all the modern marvels of floating at sea, and enjoy them, but I also would like to take a traditional voyage now and then.

You could try a line like Cunard but it would come at the cost of missing out on the far better food, crew and space ratios, and increased availability of unusual itineraries you’d find on contemporary premium/luxury lines like Oceania or Regent.

FWIW: we prefer Oceania which promises “country club casual” decorum. Though you’d not find many gowns and tuxes at dinner, you will find folks dressed for dinner at higher end restaurants in SF or NY. Most importantly, however, you’ll not see the dinner time “wife beater” tee shirts, shorts, baseball caps, etc you’d have to contend with on many mass market ships where attempts at “prom nights” often fail.

We find on Regent that many people still like the formal nights.    I think midnight buffets are gone altogether.   

Seabourn does a lovely poolside event where they have stations with caviar, champagne, seafood, desserts, freshly sliced prosciutto.   A little less formal because of the time of day, (usually 5 ish) but very well done.  

Good luck in your search. 

Cunard is probably the best approximation of the cruising experience of days past, especially on their Atlantic crossings.

If you are in the Grills, your food will be very good, notwithstanding what others may suggest.

• Like 5

Perhaps some of the PPs were confusing their preference for modern luxurious cruises, with the OPs stated request for traditional cruises with observed formal nights. And that distinction now falls squarely with Cunard. Many may find it anachronistic, but there you are. As for the old, lavish midnight buffets, those have pretty much disappeared, although most lines will still have some food available for late night snackers.

Edited by mom says

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Cunard is probably the best approximation of the cruising experience of days past, especially on their Atlantic crossings.

If you are in the Grills, your food will be very good, notwithstanding what others may suggest.

And, even in the commoners’ Britannia restaurant, you will find a quality of food and service at least equal, if not somewhat superior, to that found in the MDR of any mass market line.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

And, even in the commoners’ Britannia restaurant, you will find a quality of food and service at least equal, if not somewhat superior, to that found in the MDR of any mass market line.

But that's the problem. The Britannia class passengers often have expectations that because of the Cunard name and reputation the food will be superior, not at most "somewhat superior" to what they would find on a mass market line. After Cunard was purchased by Carnival Corp. years ago the food deteriorated to being barely distinguishable from mass market quality.

The Cunard I cruised on ("one and done" I might add) was not the Cunard my parents cruised on and I certainly wanted no part of getting dressed up for dinner to eat food that I found to be effectively indistinguishable from  Carnival's.

• Like 1

My grandparents went on the preview world cruise on QEII and a further 2 world cruises on her. I have such a beautiful photo of them from the preview cruise. They were in the grills. Every time I told to my grandma where I was travelling to, she’d pipe up ‘I’ve been there!’ I’m sure i get my love of cruising from them. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ladydee said:

Definitely Cunard  Queen Mary 2  Queen Victoria  Queen Elizabeth 2 and in 2024 Queen Anne

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SPacificbound said:

Definitely Cunard  Queen Mary 2  Queen Victoria  Queen Elizabeth 2 and in 2024 Queen Anne

Please, please…Cunard have Queen Elizabeth.  Queen Elizabeth 2 (QE2) has been retired to Dubai since 2008.  EM

18 hours ago, njhorseman said:

… After Cunard was purchased by Carnival Corp. years ago the food deteriorated to being barely distinguishable from mass market quality.

“Barely distinguishable” is still distinguishable.  While virtually all providers of goods and services are continually attempting to better their bottom lines by raising prices and reducing costs, Cunard has not yet plumbed to the depths of NCL and Carnival, for example. And at least some effort is made to create an atmosphere more attractive than that of a high school cafeteria.