Comparison of Princess Platinum and Elite Benefits Between 2019 and today

Guest ldtr

2 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Do Elite benefits kick in on your 16th cruise, similar to NCL and RCI or on your 15th cruise, similar to Carnival?  Currently have 4 under our belts and an additional 9 booked over the next 2 years.

Elite starts on 16th cruise or 151 days.  !

16 hours ago, Barry H said:

On our recent Alaska cruise on the Crown Princess the Captain decided that he wanted a cocktail party for the most travelled passengers rather than a luncheon.

This is not a change.  The location has always been the captains choice - at least in recent memory.  In 2018 - also on an Alaska cruise - it was a cocktail party held in the Adagio lounge.  It was our first invitation but I wasn't surprised because I had read of the possibility of a cocktail party instead of a luncheon here on cruise critic.  We still enjoyed it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Thank you.  So, we should reach it in January of 2026 on the Sun or Star.

It is the first cruise after the 15 or 150 so if you reach 151 in the middle of a cruise you do not get the benefits until the start of the next.

If you are on a cruise that is also sold as segments you can often get the benefits at the start of the next segment by talking to the Captains Circle Host on board.

11 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Do Elite benefits kick in on your 16th cruise, similar to NCL and RCI or on your 15th cruise, similar to Carnival?  Currently have 4 under our belts and an additional 9 booked over the next 2 years.

Good luck with their being any when you get there.  They are fading fast. 

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

As shown above there is very little fading in spite of people trying to claim it. When it comes to Captains Club benefits  3 have changed in varying degrees and 1 going away is not exactly fading fast. Not to mention 6 added.

Edited by ldtr

1 minute ago, ldtr said:

It is the first cruise after the 15 or 150 so if you reach 151 in the middle of a cruise you do not get the benefits until the start of the next.

If you are on a cruise that is also sold as segments you can often get the benefits at the start of the next segment by talking to the Captains Circle Host on board.

Will be on 13 on our 14 day repo cruise in August of 2025 on the Enchanted from FLL to Brooklyn.  14 & 15 will be in November of 2025 on either the Sun or the Star and 16 will probably be in January of 2026 once again on either the Sun or the Star.  Obviously don't know the itineraries, but I assume one ship will do 7/14 and the other 10/20 both based out of FLL, but only the powers that be know the answer.

3 minutes ago, ldtr said:

When it comes to Captains Club benefits  3 have changed in varying degrees and 1 going away

That is the definition of fading.  Sorry.  I know you have chosen this as a hill to die on by starting your own thread defending the cutbacks, and posting in many others, but since I have been elite we have lost all benefits we see as useful with the exception of the laundry, which we rarely use. Those cuts in benefits cost me over $200 now per 7 day cruise.   I've already post that multiple times, so I will leave you to your thread.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Mini bar set up is a nice start.

Yes.  for us it used to be a way better deal when we could trade it for coffee.  At least then, it was similar price point exchange.  Now you aren't getting near the value if you trade it.  But it is what it is.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

That is the definition of fading.  Sorry.  I know you have chosen this as a hill to die on by starting your own thread defending the cutbacks, and posting in many others, but since I have been elite we have lost all benefits we see as useful with the exception of the laundry, which we rarely use. Those cuts in benefits cost me over $200 now per 7 day cruise.   I've already post that multiple times, so I will leave you to your thread.  

You used the term fading fast.  Not really more added then removed.  The only change of any consequence is the change in the Internet.  Out of those impact by that one a number buy packages so now impact, a number would have purchased unlimited Internet even if some minutes were an option (unlimited was not available when minutes was offered).  That only leaves a percentage that still are still grieving about their free minutes.

20 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Hey they do all my laundry which is awesome on long cruises and saves tons of money   Also mini bar setup   These alone are worth getting to Elite for. I have always been shocked that we get free laundry 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, ldtr said:

The only change of any consequence is the change in the Internet. 

Maybe to you.  Change are changes, and the cruise line can do what it wants.  When I earned elite, there were benefits to it that I could take advantage of because I had attained that status.  Now, some of those benefits have been changed or removed all together.  It it what it is.  

Someone might view the internet as a big deal, someone might view the coffee as a big deal, someone might view the boutique sales items as a big deal.  You can't make a blanket statement, you can only comment on how it impacts you.  That has been my point all along.  From my perspective, I have lost a couple of hundred dollars in benefits per cruise that I used to have access to, but no longer do.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

Hey they do all my laundry which is awesome on long cruises and saves tons of money  

It's the one benefit that hasn't changed since I got to elite.  With that said, on two separate occasions they lost items of ours, presumably gave them to another passenger, so unless we are on a longer than 7 day cruise, we don't use it. Or I just send stuff that if it doesn't come back, I won't be bothered by.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Maybe to you.  Change are changes, and the cruise line can do what it wants.  When I earned elite, there were benefits to it that I could take advantage of because I had attained that status.  Now, some of those benefits have been changed or removed all together.  It it what it is.  

Someone might view the internet as a big deal, someone might view the coffee as a big deal, someone might view the boutique sales items as a big deal.  You can't make a blanket statement, you can only comment on how it impacts you.  That has been my point all along.  From my perspective, I have lost a couple of hundred dollars in benefits per cruise that I used to have access to, but no longer do.  

Fine.  As you note, everyone is an individual and whether the elite benefits continue to work for them or not will depend on their own individual circumstances.  LDTR in their excellent post that started the thread has demonstrated categorically that, despite the myriad posts about the erosion of benefits, the only real changes have been the loss of a few free (useless) internet minutes and no longer being allowed to swap a minibar for a coffee card.  If those are the straw that breaks the camel's back for you because of your individual circumstances, so be it.  But that doesn't justify multiple posts across thread after thread on this board making 'blanket statements' telling everyone that elite benefits are being eroded, fading fast or that they won't exist in a few years, because the reality is that they are not fading fast and they will likely endure.  And, many on here, given their individual circumstances and experience into account, are more than happy with the benefits that they get.  

Edited by cruising.mark.uk
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

But that it an entirely different arguement. You have been making  statements about the program going away, that all of the benefits are gone etc.  This does a disservice to others reading that may not be familiar to it.

Talking about value to you is a different thing. The value of the program is different to different  people. The impact on you is up to you. Totally different than the status of the program.

The Elite benefits have a value to me of about 30 to 35 dollars per cruise day. Down by about $5 per day since 2019.

The loss of loyalty obc had more impact in what would have been $10 to $15 dollars per cruise day.

Isn't that the point though, benefits are only benefits if you believe them to be and they are useful to you.  When I attained elite status, benefits had value to me, and I used them.  Now, the removal/downgrade of certain benefits has lessened that value to me.  I said that in almost all of my posts.

Priority tendering was not a benefit I ever used or needed.  Had no value to me.  I never said it wasn't a benefit, but it wasn't a benefit to me.  I have seen, for the benefits I care about a reduction in their benefit/value.  I'm sure if you were to ask those who used to be able to stack shareholder and military benefits, who can no longer do that, they would tell you the benefit still exists, but it's value is diminished.

Anyone can read the list of benefits, but benefit value is individualized to each person.

45 minutes ago, ldtr said:

The Elite benefits have a value to me of about 30 to 35 dollars per cruise day. Down by about $5 per day since 2019.

And as I have said, they have eroded by similar amounts for me.  If someone is new today to elite benefits, they have benefits they never had before, so that is great for them.  For loyal cruisers who have had benefits reduced/taken away, well, that story is different.  That's all I'm saying.

• Like 3

Stacking OBC is not an Elite benefit but will impact everyone who has both and thought exchanging the mini bar for a coffee card was a goodie given and not a guarantee written in the Elite benefits. If it is, I totally looked over that statment.  Not saying paying the $7.50 per day for internet or having it included in the Plus package wasn't a change.  Pre pause I do know from personal experience and waiting in the internet cafe, the cruises I was on had more than a few coming into the cafe with a sob story of "all my minutes are gone' from not signing off properly.  I was one of those.  I like the unlimited minutes now as I don't have to worry about signing off. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ldtr said:

The only change of any consequence is the change in the Internet. 

That's a big deal to me.  I don't need to spend much time online each day , but the better the Internet works, the more quickly I can be done and get back to my vacation.

When the Internet was priced like a luxury item, it worked like a luxury item. 

Now that it's free, it works as well as you'd expect from a free product....and sometimes worse.

One useful thing - our most recent cruise was to Antarctica, and we were warned that the Internet would likely be out for 5-6 days between Ushuaia and the Falklands.  Actually, service was quite good during that period of time and it never went out  Then I discovered why it kept working - the ship cut off access to  social media sites during that time.

It's amazing how well the Internet works when everyone isn't trying to stream penguin videos to Facebook.

I know I'm largely alone on this topic, but there are only two ways to make the Internet work better:

1. Launch more satellites
2. Have fewer users

#2 is the only one Princess can do.

Internet aside, I'm OK with the current status of Elite benefits. 

We earned Elite status right after the upgraded toiletries went away.  On our first cruise as Elite, we asked about them because the Princess Website still listed them as a benefit.  Our steward said they don't do it anymore, but we asked at the Captain's Circle desk and she saw to it that we got them...that one time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Yes.  for us it used to be a way better deal when we could trade it for coffee.  At least then, it was similar price point exchange.  Now you aren't getting near the value if you trade it.  But it is what it is.

Obviously it is what it is, and of course value is perceived via the end result of the perk.   Since you can no longer get the coffee trade out, that perk is low on the totem pole for you.   I will assume the set up is a handful of airline alcohol bottles with mixers and soda.  When we're finally eligible the value to us will be what is initially given and what can they be swapped for.  This dilemma for us is 29 months in the future.  A lot can change between then and now.

50 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Isn't that the point though, benefits are only benefits if you believe them to be and they are useful to you.  When I attained elite status, benefits had value to me, and I used them.  Now, the removal/downgrade of certain benefits has lessened that value to me.  I said that in almost all of my posts.

Priority tendering was not a benefit I ever used or needed.  Had no value to me.  I never said it wasn't a benefit, but it wasn't a benefit to me.  I have seen, for the benefits I care about a reduction in their benefit/value.  I'm sure if you were to ask those who used to be able to stack shareholder and military benefits, who can no longer do that, they would tell you the benefit still exists, but it's value is diminished.

Anyone can read the list of benefits, but benefit value is individualized to each person.

And as I have said, they have eroded by similar amounts for me.  If someone is new today to elite benefits, they have benefits they never had before, so that is great for them.  For loyal cruisers who have had benefits reduced/taken away, well, that story is different.  That's all I'm saying.

However, you have not been talking about that.  You have been making blanket statements about the entire program.  As a result it creates the impression that the program is going away.  In reality the Captains Circle Program itself is pretty stable.  What I have been responding to is blanket statements about the program going away, or no benefits left.

The responses I have made have been about what is the status of the program.  When I have talked about value I have talked about the value to me, based upon I would actually spend if the program did not exist.   What others get out of it is up to them.  Some choose to use it, some choose not to.

In my case it still yields substantial value with minimal impact from the Platinum/Elite benefits.  Financially price increases have far more impact than the minimal changes to the Captains Circle Program.

6 minutes ago, essmeier said:

That's a big deal to me.  I don't need to spend much time online each day , but the better the Internet works, the more quickly I can be done and get back to my vacation.

When the Internet was priced like a luxury item, it worked like a luxury item. 

Now that it's free, it works as well as you'd expect from a free product....and sometimes worse.

One useful thing - our most recent cruise was to Antarctica, and we were warned that the Internet would likely be out for 5-6 days between Ushuaia and the Falklands.  Actually, service was quite good during that period of time and it never went out  Then I discovered why it kept working - the ship cut off access to  social media sites during that time.

It's amazing how well the Internet works when everyone isn't trying to stream penguin videos to Facebook.

I know I'm largely alone on this topic, but there are only two ways to make the Internet work better:

1. Launch more satellites
2. Have fewer users

#2 is the only one Princess can do.

Internet aside, I'm OK with the current status of Elite benefits. 

We earned Elite status right after the upgraded toiletries went away.  On our first cruise as Elite, we asked about them because the Princess Website still listed them as a benefit.  Our steward said they don't do it anymore, but we asked at the Captain's Circle desk and she saw to it that we got them...that one time.

Last year on an Alaska cruise it was running about 40kb during the day on a 65% capacity load of passengers.  This year with the new system it was running at 3.5MB with 3800 passengers on the Majestic.

Not a bad speed for Internet on a cruise line. 

My TA a couple of months ago ran at about 4.5 except for a 1 day dead zone just before the Azores.

I certainly find value in the mini-bar swap.  I get whole bottle of beer for a measly sip of a liquor I don't want.  10 beers is a $70 current menu value - not counting the 18% gratuity.  Then 10 Perrier is another chunk of value.  With today's prices, I wouldn't be surprise to find that over $30 easily.  So my mini-bar rings up at plenty enough over $100.  Even if they still had the coffee program, I'd just have my wife buy it for herself and keep the mini-bar.

• Like 3