OBSERVATIONS FROM THE POOP DECK AUG 6-13,2023 SEASCAPE

morpheusofthesea

47 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Not quite. We were informed this morning that due to the past abuses perpetrated by Yacht Club guests inviting their friends and family into the YC venues where they do not belong and aggravated by the interloper situation into the YC there will no longer be any Seafood Extravaganza. It is relegated to the 'ash heap' of history.

Really? 

Seems much easier just to make sure people in the YC area are true YC'ers. Check cards or wristbands if faces unfamiliar. If crew have approved invited guests have a special "day pass". Taking away what for many is an eagerly anticipated experience is not a great idea.

As from the financial aspect, it makes sense to not have the seafood buffet on the 3-4 night cruises as I suspect there is an amount of (very expensive) food wastage - that may be more of the driving factor than interlopers. 

Warmest Amy

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, amygutman said:

As from the financial aspect, it makes sense to not have the seafood buffet on the 3-4 night cruises as I suspect there is an amount of (very expensive) food wastage - that may be more of the driving factor than interlopers. 

Never read any report of lobster being wasted. 

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

What about all thoseYC guests that give their wrist bands to friends and family residing outside the YC? Then there are those that intimidate their friends and family into the YC when they have multiple cabins inside and outside the YC. 

giving your bracelet away is even worse!

but you got a point. That is harder to check.

however having worked in the industry, let me tell you one thing: when they can automatically route your photos to your account with the help of  biometric analysis, do not make the mistake of thinking they are not using it for more.

this means basically whenever you pass by a camera (and there are a lot of them) they know exactely who you are and WHERE you are.

it is easy for them to know that there are people coming in. The reason for msc to not act differently must be any other reasons…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

DW's words as well.

Exactly my thoughts too.

Is there at least shrimp on the TC buffet sometimes? My husband and I aren't lovers of seafood anyway, but my husband does love shrimp. I know he's looking forward to at least that next month.

It really is a shame they had to do away with the Extravaganza.  I know it was a big hit with seafood lovers.

4 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Not quite. We were informed this morning that due to the past abuses perpetrated by Yacht Club guests inviting their friends and family into the YC venues where they do not belong and aggravated by the interloper situation into the YC there will no longer be any Seafood Extravaganza. It is relegated to the 'ash heap' of history.

Wow.  Is this just for Seascape or for all ships that have this?  

We actually just cancelled our Seascape YC sailing for next April as we weren't fans of the itinerary change of OC to Nassau.  Probably doing a luxury line instead.  It's for my husband's 60th so we want to splurge a little for ports we haven't been to (south Pacific, Galapagos...) instead of Jamaica and Nassau.  We luckily get our deposit back even though we were past the deadline to cancel (as one of our options).  I was looking for to the Seascape and will definitely try again in the future.

4 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

We were informed this morning that due to the past abuses perpetrated by Yacht Club guests inviting their friends and family into the YC venues where they do not belong and aggravated by the interloper situation into the YC there will no longer be any Seafood Extravaganza.

This is disappointing to hear, I was looking forward to experiencing the Seafood Extravaganza on our Seascape sailing next January. It does seem like a rather lame excuse though. I’m sure the Seafood Extravaganza is way more costly and time consuming than preparing a suckling pig so maybe just a convenient reason to get rid of an expensive extra.
After seeing your pictures of cones holding open various gates into the YC, it seems like some of the problems with interlopers” could be dealt with quite easily if they wanted to. 

I’m seriously considering cancelling this cruise even if it means losing my deposit. I’m not loving what I hear and we recently snagged a great deal on one of the extended Mera sailings next April and basically got 11 nights in YC for the price of 7.

Well, DW has just 'worn out' our welcome with the new YC director. He was kind enough to come over to our pergola to say hello and point blank DW asks what is he going to do about all the passengers that get into the Yacht Club that do not belong ? He said he noticed it was a problem that the doors take too long to close and outsiders piggyback on YC guests. He felt that a few are innocently "wandering" in. Then he noticed from our pergola vantage point we can see the Top 19 entrance being abused. He discounted that there was a real problem and made a quick exit. @surfrider34 'hit the nail on its head', there "must be... other reasons".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mackfam said:

This is disappointing to hear, I was looking forward to experiencing the Seafood Extravaganza on our Seascape sailing next January. It does seem like a rather lame excuse though.

I think you are correct. It is "a rather lame excuse" to cancel an entire cruise vacation because of one Seafood Extravaganza. How many times in the past have the Seafood Extravaganzas been rained out and moved indoors to the YC restaurant instead? Where the entrance is well guarded by restaurant staff. 

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I think you are correct. It is "a rather lame excuse" to cancel an entire cruise vacation because of one Seafood Extravaganza.

I’m not considering cancelling because of the lack of the Seafood Extravaganza but rather because of the other issues that have been reported on this ship. The complaints of rude passengers on Miami sailings, interlopers, and seemingly disinterested officers, plus the fact that I now have a previously unplanned 11 day cruise booked to much more interesting ports in April are why I’m considering cancelling. Unlike you, we unfortunately have to fly to the port, and as we are still part of the working masses, vacations are not unlimited. 

1 hour ago, mackfam said:

I’m not considering cancelling because of the lack of the Seafood Extravaganza but rather because of the other issues that have been reported on this ship. The complaints of rude passengers on Miami sailings, interlopers, and seemingly disinterested officers, plus the fact that I now have a previously unplanned 11 day cruise booked to much more interesting ports in April are why I’m considering cancelling. Unlike you, we unfortunately have to fly to the port, and as we are still part of the working masses, vacations are not unlimited. 

I understand. Can only say that the rudeness has abated. Have to agree with the rest. The other two complaints, interlopers and disinterested officers will not affect your cruise experience.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Sounds very much like an agency I worked for early in my career. Whenever someone would screw up egregiously, the entire unit would be penalized rather than singling out the offender (or in the case of this discussion, the interloper).  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Say it ain't so....

My dreams of going homer simpson on the seafood extravaganza are dashed, damn you interlopers!!!!!!!

• Haha 2

A 19 second clip of Bruno Vincenza and the Jazz Quartet in the Loft Cafe last night for their 10:30 pm "Sinatra Tribute". Sang 11 of Sinatra's most popular songs. Did a 'stunning' rendition of "My Way". Will have to whip out phone next time to catch a clip of this one. He told us that on the itineraries that stop in Cozumel the group does this tribute in the Chora Theatre for a matinee.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Thought this was an innovative way to prop a cabin door open using a door stop above the door and ceiling. Found it useful especially on embarkation day as the hallway was much cooler than the cabin.

IMG_3080.jpg

Any noise from the pool deck above in this cabin?

we have our first MSC cruise on the Seascape on the 27th of this month in Yacht Club and I am starting to get concerned about all the negatives. We chose YC for a higher level of service, ability to hang by the pool with the kids without the stress of worrying about getting lounge chairs and great food. Are "interlopers" really that intrusive? Im worried we are going to be disappointed. We are pretty easy going people but we are also have a certain expectation based off of what we are paying for and whats advertised. 

1 hour ago, awatt said:

Is YC full this sailing? Is it difficult to get a sun lounger? I know you have the cabana but was wondering  what the rest of the deck looked like.

Yacht Club is full. Have a well-known seasoned couple familiar to many on FB on board and they told us they could only get an inside and tried to upgrade to any balcony immediately upon boarding at the concierge desk. Fortunately for them it was booked. I say "fortunately" because this cruise it has been so hot that a breeze turns a pergola into a convection oven. We do not recommend this this cabin either for this hot weather. The beautiful view is marred by the intense sun light that filters and turns the living area into a stuffy dry sauna. Thank goodness the bedroom air conditioner keeps that room comfortably cool.

At the present time on the OnePool deck one can find plenty of available loungers and pergolas. The only ones occupying anything on the sun deck are the interlopers. They know how to appreciate their ill gotten gains. I have made a 4 minute walk around ( a 360 degree) video when in port, but can not upload it now.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, tori0417 said:

we have our first MSC cruise on the Seascape on the 27th of this month in Yacht Club and I am starting to get concerned about all the negatives. We chose YC for a higher level of service, ability to hang by the pool with the kids without the stress of worrying about getting lounge chairs and great food. Are "interlopers" really that intrusive? Im worried we are going to be disappointed. We are pretty easy going people but we are also have a certain expectation based off of what we are paying for and whats advertised. 

You WILL have a great time. The service is 'over the top' excellent. DW says we have to increase our already (I think) generous tipping at the end of the cruise. 

What are "all the negatives" you are referring to?