MDR menus and Specialty Dining on Vista Question

suzcruz3

It will be my first time on Oceania, sailing in the Carribean (Dec. 1- 11) and wanted to know if I could see what each night's MDR menu would be in advance so I could book specialty dining on nights the MDR menu was less appealing to us. If not, how do you decide what nights to choose for specialty dining? Thanks for your help!

19 minutes ago, suzcruz3 said:

It will be my first time on Oceania, sailing in the Carribean (Dec. 1- 11) and wanted to know if I could see what each night's MDR menu would be in advance so I could book specialty dining on nights the MDR menu was less appealing to us. If not, how do you decide what nights to choose for specialty dining? Thanks for your help!

Unfortunately, the GDR menus are not available before the cruise.

My strategy involves looking at the itinerary then ranking my preferred days and times for specialties; I also rank which restaurants I expect to be my favorites. When I go to book, I try to book my 1st choice restaurant on the highest ranked day/time available, then go to my 2nd choice, etc.

If you are in a suite, you will probably be able to get the day, time, and private tables that you want.

If in concierge, you'll probably get the day and time, but maybe need to share (especially on sea days).

If in B-G, sea days may be difficult to book (except sharing and very late , like 9 pm). Even port days will probably have some of the earlier spots unavailable, and you will almost surely need to share.

Oh, and book at 12:01 am ET on the first day reservations are available; do not logon before midnight or you will need to logoff the back on.

Edited by AMHuntFerry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, suzcruz3 said:

I just book what ever nights  that are available  for the time slots we want for the Specialties

Then the GDR   for other nights

Sometimes you will see some offerings again on the GDR menu  during the cruise  if not  it is another  reason to book another cruise  😉

Enjoy the cruise

10 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I just book what ever nights  that are available  for the time slots we want for the Specialties

As we do. 

On our recent Nautica cruise, GDR menus were only available same day. 

I base my specialty nights on what else is going on. I know the second night of the cruise is generally Captain's Welcome so I try not to book on that night, don't want to limit my free drink time to just 30 minutes or so if I have a 6:30 reservation. If I have a long tour that gets in late I try not to book one on those days. I also base it on what nights are available at an early time. We're early eaters.  I don't worry about what the GDR has to offer as I can get the same food at Terrace. There is usually not anything I worry about missing, unless it's a souffle I really like. Sometimes we go to the GDR to see what the Souffle of the day is for dessert after eating in a specialty.  We don't go hungry. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The GDR and specialty menus are on the TV for that particular day.  We check the GDR menu, if we don't have a specialty reservation (the menus for them rarely change).  If we don't see something interesting, we go to the Terrace for dinner.  On some sail away evenings we go to the Terrace, hopefully grab a nice table, and just, sit, drink, eat, and watch.  Sailing out of St. Petersburg in the evening on the Terrace was fascinating.  Same with Stockholm.  Enjoy!

Wish there were printed menus for GDR included with each day's issue of Currents. The TV menu shows one category at a time (appetizers, main courses, desserts, etc.), but sometimes they change before you can look at all the options and you have to watch the whole cycle again. We ended up taking photos of the screens.

10 minutes ago, kreastman said:

Wish there were printed menus for GDR included with each day's issue of Currents. The TV menu shows one category at a time (appetizers, main courses, desserts, etc.), but sometimes they change before you can look at all the options and you have to watch the whole cycle again. We ended up taking photos of the screens.

OR you could  walk to the  GDR  about 2 pm & the menus are usually posted  outside  the entry

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, kreastman said:

Yes, of course, and we sometimes did that. Just saying it would have been convenient to have something printed in our cabin to refer to.

Before it was on the TV you had  to go to the GDR  to see the menu

People are complaining about the waste of paper you get in the cabin  & want apps

You cannot please everyone

JMO

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Before it was on the TV you had  to go to the GDR  to see the menu

People are complaining about the waste of paper you get in the cabin  & want apps

You cannot please everyone

JMO

Can’t Please everyone?? How about anyone!!! 

Don't worry.  Lots of good menu choices in all dining venues.  On some cruises, we book ahead. On some, we wait and see what's available on the ship.  Not all reservations are given out online. People often change reservations.  On some cruises we decided not to use a reservation.  We always call and cancel.  Sometimes we get an extra reservation. Jacques is my first choice on any cruise. On cruises with warm weather, the outdoor deck at the Terrace Buffet is often my favorite choice.  

• Like 2

Sounds like the system has been upgraded—good to know. My comments were based on our cruise on Sirena a few years ago. Looking forward to Alaska on Regatta in a few weeks (there probably won't be many outdoor Terrace opportunities on that one, though).

34 minutes ago, kreastman said:

Sounds like the system has been upgraded—good to know. My comments were based on our cruise on Sirena a few years ago. Looking forward to Alaska on Regatta in a few weeks (there probably won't be many outdoor Terrace opportunities on that one, though).

We ate out on Terrace many times on our Alaska cruise a few years ago - they put heaters out.  We had amazing service since it was nearly empty for dinner!   Put on your warmer clothes and enjoy the magnificent scenery and see a whale or two....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Just tried to book specialty restaurant at 12:01 tonight (immediately after I was able) for my upcoming cruise & only times for both restaurants was  9pm every day. Will I be able to possibly be able to change to earlier once onboard?

When you board, if you have a butler, ask him to make the changes.  If no butler, then go and see the Executive Concierge (desk usually located near Reception) and also see the restaurant manager that evening once the restaurant opens.  (A good source for getting a second booking too...). Just ask at the podium at the entrance to the restaurant.

• Thanks 1

I believe what was meant was go to the Restaurant Reservations Desk on Deck 5 or 6 depending upon ship and enquire there.

The OP didn’t indicate which cruise they are on, and most importantly its length. Getting changes for short (7) day cruises are much harder than longer ones (14 day+). 

8 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Just tried to book specialty restaurant at 12:01 tonight (immediately after I was able) for my upcoming cruise & only times for both restaurants was  9pm every day. Will I be able to possibly be able to change to earlier once onboard?

just  go in  again & see if you can change  them    sometimes that works once the dust  settles

You can also try once onboard

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I believe what was meant was go to the Restaurant Reservations Desk on Deck 5 or 6 depending upon ship and enquire there.

The OP didn’t indicate which cruise they are on, and most importantly its length. Getting changes for short (7) day cruises are much harder than longer ones (14 day+). 

I'm on a 7 day on Sep 27 on the Regatta. Is there any chance of getting something earlier? We can get earlier if we share but really don't want to.

9 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

I'm on a 7 day on Sep 27 on the Regatta. Is there any chance of getting something earlier? We can get earlier if we share but really don't want to.

It is the luck of the draw     but  on 7 day cruises  it may be better to share or just  eat in the GDR/Terrace

JMO

• Like 1