New dress code on the Silver Nova!!

A Tucson Guy

2 hours ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

For those that are objecting to the attire on Nova and are already booked: I'm sure they will waive the cancellation policy if you explain your rationale.

I would be quite surprised if Silversea waived the cancellation policy under these circumstances.  I would expect that it is not required under its Terms & Conditions.  Perhaps if someone at Silversea reads this Board they can comment on that.

As I see it all that the new dress code on Nova has done is remove the Informal night. I say hooray!

It has been Formal Optional for awhile now and no one is saying you can not, under any circumstances, dress up if you want to. If that is what you like, do it!

We have just completed a cruise on Dawn and Seabourn Ovation and for the first time, we felt like the old people ( mid 70’s) onboard. It was wonderful to see so many people in their 40’s and 50’s and yes, heaven forbid, they had children with them!

This is the future and we oldies have to accept it. Personally I love it.

I will never understand why it ruins a cruise if someone is not wearing something you think is acceptable. My goodness, I have seen many formal outfits which have made me wonder if the wearer looked in the mirror before they left their suite!

Does it really matter? NO!!!! (or it shouldn’t)

Why on earth do people think everyone will wear shorts and flip flops is dress code is relaxed?

Rant over

We have to be better than this 

• Like 11

8 hours ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

For those that are objecting to the attire on Nova and are already booked: I'm sure they will waive the cancellation policy if you explain your rationale.

I would be very surprised if SS waived the cancellation policy. There is no basis since you can now dress exactly as you did on any other cruise with them. 

Maybe travel insurance would cover the cancellation 🙂 can you imagine the claim: I want to cancel because I fear the person next to me at dinner may not have a tie on. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 12:40 AM, ronrick1943 said:

I’m only specking for myself, it’s all about demographics and money, People should dress nicely where ever you are——but formal isn’t for everyone and one small segment shouldn’t rule for everyone.  If others want to dress formal - no problem and if they don’t want formal no problem.

at least most people on here are being respectful - some on Facebook are so abusive about saying people should get super dressed up, I'm actually dreading our cruise (not because of what we are expected to wear, but because of the elitists trying to push their personal agenda).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2023 at 4:31 AM, canderson said:

Largely because that's what they signed up for when booking.  It's part of what SS is selling, and if that's the crowd they want to attract from other lines who are dismayed by ever more lax dress standards elsewhere, it seems inappropriate to make a point of bucking their marketing concept as some occasionally do.

Cruise lines all sell 'vacations', but some sell very different 'experiences'.  Part.of the SS 'experience' remains a certain level of dress on formal nights in most venues.  Nobody is forced to 'dress up' since they have choices about what kind of vacation they book.

The advertising campaigns in Australia don't sell this idea at all, and neither do the travel agents! the current campaign shows exotic and adventurous locations. I'm guessing they are now seeking new markets and new 'experiences' for their cruises.  With their smaller ships they can offer this.

I paid a lot of $$$ because of the promise of feeling like I was going on an 'expedition', but some posters on FB have made it sound like it's only for those who feel they are "better than everybody else".  I was hoping to be joining people who want to see the Arctic because they are intelligent, adventurous and care about the environment.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2023 at 4:36 AM, A Tucson Guy said:

Just to repeat my starting post, now on the Silver Nova, men can wear slacks with a jacket (sports coat) and no tie. Some people may not consider this dressy but the times are a changing!! What SS is "selling" seems to be evolving.

My husband is an accountant in one of the more traditional business districts of Perth. When he first graduated he wore a suit and tie every day, then he eventually got rid of the jacket.  It's now so unusual to wear a tie in his industry, they have become more difficult to purchase.  He is still a bit more traditional, and will often wear a tie.  In a firm that now has 40 accountants, he is the only one.  Most men are opting for a nice dress shirt.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cashmeremypuppydog said:

Good grief, I am not sure we will enjoy our upcoming cruise on SS. 
You all sound like little children. I am done reading CC for tonight, too negative… Get a life!

Chantal 🦍🦏🦛🐘🦓🦒🦁🐒

Don't worry, the people posting here represent a tiny fraction of actual cruisers.

When you get on an actual cruise, with all the actual non-CC posters, none of this soapboxing will be apparent.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Don't worry, the people posting here represent a tiny fraction of actual cruisers.

When you get on an actual cruise, with all the actual non-CC posters, none of this soapboxing will be apparent.

100% agree. I always tell my friends and family considering SS don’t go by what you read here and the group on the unmentionable website which is even harsher. You will experience none of it on the actual cruise.  If anything, I found everyone we met to be exceptionally friendly and welcoming and I travel with kids which is even more polarizing than the dress code.  

I’m here for the info but I wonder if either site helps or hurts their reputation and business 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gcornell said:

100% agree. I always tell my friends and family considering SS don’t go by what you read here and the group on the unmentionable website which is even harsher. You will experience none of it on the actual cruise.  If anything, I found everyone we met to be exceptionally friendly and welcoming and I travel with kids which is even more polarizing than the dress code.  

I’m here for the info but I wonder if either site helps or hurts their reputation and business 

Some people also forget that SS is an 'international' cruise line and different countries (even US states) have different fashion beliefs, which we really shouldn't judge.  

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 12:44 PM, Ross4356 said:

Finally!!  Silversea got the message that other Ultra Luxury Cruise Lines, Luxury Hotels and Fine Restaurants got a long time ago. Great news for us guys that still Dress up but can be a bit more relaxed if we choose to. Very happy!

On our last Regent, Ponant, and Seabourn cruises some people were in shorts during evening hours every day.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

I presume that you still had a lovely time otherwise you wouldn’t keep booking, no?

Not at all! It was lovely time for many many reasons!  My comment was neither a complaint nor criticism, and not a protest in any form, just an observation.  I prefer a little more formal than shorts at night; however, for those who like it, let it be, it's not an offence to anyone.  As a matter of fact, we just put on hold 3 leg-quote of 2026 world cruise on Dawn.

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Not at all! It was lovely time for many many reasons!  My comment was neither a complaint nor criticism, and not a protest in any form, just an observation.  I prefer a little more formal than shorts at night; however, for those who like it, let it be, it's not an offence to anyone.  As a matter of fact, we just put on hold 3 leg-quote of 2026 world cruise on Dawn.

I like your perspective. 

1 hour ago, AusMum said:

Some people also forget that SS is an 'international' cruise line and different countries (even US states) have different fashion beliefs, which we really shouldn't judge.  

So true.

In my home, shorts are formal wear.

Proper shorts of course - years ago the police were equipped with cards to measure the height of the hem of the shorts above the knee - had to be 4 inches - if the shorts were too short the wearer was reprimanded and told to dress properly.

Times do change, I have no problem changing with them.

I people watch and am frequently surprised (in general, not just on cruise ships) by what garments some people feel fit them and are suitable for wearing in public - it doesn't detract from my cruise enjoyment, quite the reverse, it gives me much amusement.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

I people watch and am frequently surprised (in general, not just on cruise ships) by what garments some people feel fit them and are suitable for wearing in public - it doesn't detract from my cruise enjoyment, quite the reverse, it gives me much amusement.

Great comment and I agree - times change and we need to move forward: A good looking casual elegant outfit looks so much better than an out of style evening gown that no longer actually fits the person wearing it.....  People/garment watching can be very amusing, my mom (who is no longer with us) would always say: it is amazing how many people live in homes (or cruise ship cabins in this case) that do NOT have mirrors.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

As far as dress codes go, I go along with whatever that may be. I never minded wearing a jacket or tie, but things are changing. Cruise lines do a lot of marketing research. Baby boomers like myself are either in their 70’s or approaching their 70’s. Gen X are entering their 50’s and are more individualistic than the boomers or silent generation. As boomers and silent generations began to pass on, the greatest transfer of wealth is beginning. Most of the recipients of this wealth will be Gen X and Millennials. They’re definitely a different type of cat than us.I believe cruise lines as well as other travel related businesses are aware of this and planning accordingly. 
  BTW, I’ve been reading a newly released book, “ Generations” by Jean M. Twenge. Very insightful about the changes we’re seeing. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nfcu said:

Love it when posters on here say they will no longer sail on Silversea if the dress code is changed.  Where will they go?  Cunard? They aren't going anywhere and Silversea knows it.

As I mentioned earlier, with the dress code change there is less reason for me personally to sail Silversea rather than sailing Regent, which has been more casual all along.  So it's not so much going to Cunard instead (although we will still enjoy our transatlantic crossings), but rather eliminating an aspect that had been appealing to me as a reason to choose Silversea over other otherwise comparable cruise lines.  Obviously, as stated by others, to each his/her own, but this is from my personal perspective.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

As I mentioned earlier, with the dress code change there is less reason for me personally to sail Silversea rather than sailing Regent, which has been more casual all along.  So it's not so much going to Cunard instead (although we will still enjoy our transatlantic crossings), but rather eliminating an aspect that had been appealing to me as a reason to choose Silversea over other otherwise comparable cruise lines.  Obviously, as stated by others, to each his/her own, but this is from my personal perspective.

Does this mean that you don’t cruise based on dress code? You mentioned that you stopped cruising Regent because it was too casual. Now you are going back more than likely even though it is still more casual than SS? Trying to understand your perspective. 

15 hours ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

A truck stop is grungy, with decor falling apart, and food that is often generous to call food.

Personally, I find truck stops fascinating, and I "dress" every night for dinner while cruising.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

Does this mean that you don’t cruise based on dress code? You mentioned that you stopped cruising Regent because it was too casual. Now you are going back more than likely even though it is still more casual than SS? Trying to understand your perspective. 

It seems to be the same as ours.  Without the differentiation, we might as well consider Regent vs. Silversea for future cruises.  We have planned our first SS cruise looking for a different experience, but if the difference disappears, so does our reason for specifically choosing SS.