Celebrity reflection - evening dress code

cocosmum

Hi everyone,

My husband and I (60's) are booked on a 6 night Caribbean cruise out of Fort Lauderdale early April 2024 on the Reflection.

This is our first sailing with Celebrity but have been on many other cruises before (Carnival, P&O, Norwegian etc.)

I read recently that long pants are to be worn in the dining room, specialty restaurants etc. How strictly is this enforced?

Hubby prefers nice shorts and a button down shirt when it's hot with closed in shoes, so we're not talking about the casual shorts and tee shirts you'd see by the pool!!  Will this be OK or does he absolutely need to pack extra long pants?  

Thanks

As per Celebrity’s FAQ (below), it’s long pants at night in the dining rooms. I have heard that sometimes it’s not enforced. Depends if you want to take the chance. However you can always dine at the ocean view cafe if it’s imperative that he wear shorts. 

AT NIGHT

SMART CASUAL 

Smart Casual attire is required for entry to main dining, specialty dining, and the Celebrity Theatre. Smart Casual means you look comfortable yet tasteful in a dress, skirt, long pants, or jean, and stylish top or button-down. Shorts and flip flops are not considered Smart Casual. 

Edited by peterde
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, cocosmum said:

Hi everyone,

My husband and I (60's) are booked on a 6 night Caribbean cruise out of Fort Lauderdale early April 2024 on the Reflection.

This is our first sailing with Celebrity but have been on many other cruises before (Carnival, P&O, Norwegian etc.)

I read recently that long pants are to be worn in the dining room, specialty restaurants etc. How strictly is this enforced?

Hubby prefers nice shorts and a button down shirt when it's hot with closed in shoes, so we're not talking about the casual shorts and tee shirts you'd see by the pool!!  Will this be OK or does he absolutely need to pack extra long pants?  

Thanks

I’ve seen people turned away who showed up in shorts and tee shirts.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, cocosmum said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Expect to be turned away if either of you try to enter the MDR in shorts.  

There may be some leniency on the first night because some people have not received their luggage yet but after that, the dress code is the dress code.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peterde said:

As per Celebrity’s FAQ (below), it’s long pants at night in the dining rooms. I have heard that sometimes it’s not enforced. Depends if you want to take the chance. However you can always dine at the ocean view cafe if it’s imperative that he wear shorts. 

AT NIGHT

SMART CASUAL 

Smart Casual attire is required for entry to main dining, specialty dining, and the Celebrity Theatre. Smart Casual means you look comfortable yet tasteful in a dress, skirt, long pants, or jean, and stylish top or button-down. Shorts and flip flops are not considered Smart Casual. 

He would not like sailing on Silversea.

We just did 
an Oceania cruise and they say no sandels in the dining room so even though I avoid shoes due to arthritis deformation of my feet I conformed to their rules.

1 hour ago, Boatharbour said:

No comment. No judgement, just responding to above.

On Apex two weeks ago a woman walked into Fine Cut for dinner in collarless tee shirt, denim shorts and wearing rubber flip flops. She wasn’t turned away. 

We have probably all seen one or two blatant scofflaws over the years but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t a dress code which is followed by the vast majority of passengers.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

We have probably all seen one or two blatant scofflaws over the years but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t a dress code which is followed by the vast majority of passengers.  

Absolutely agree. Indeed the vast majority of guests on this cruise followed the dress code. 

8 hours ago, cocosmum said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Yes, pack some khakis and  collared polos.

16 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I go with nice golf slacks in the evening…the nice stretchy kind..Greg Norman or the like, very comfortable. 

Something like that has become my go-to for nearly any "dress" at all.  Believe it or not, I've found the "Amazon Essentials" to be at least as good as just about anything else, and they are $30/pair.  No one was more shocked than I.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCPIV said:

Something like that has become my go-to for nearly any "dress" at all.  Believe it or not, I've found the "Amazon Essentials" to be at least as good as just about anything else, and they are $30/pair.  No one was more shocked than I.

No way Kirkland Signature is the brand to get , unless you are in Retreat 😁😉 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCPIV said:

I’ll check that out, Stein Mart used to be my go to, they closed nationwide a while back. 

29 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

No way Kirkland Signature is the brand to get , unless you are in Retreat 😁😉 

I have found some nice ones at Costco..their clothing selection has gone very casual, sign of the times I suppose. 

2 hours ago, DCPIV said:

UA has great golf pants. Lightweight and just the perfect type of fabric to pack for cruises, especially longer ones where you need some more clothes and can pack two golf slacks in the space of 1 pair of denim jeans..  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I’ll check that out, Stein Mart used to be my go to, they closed nationwide a while back. 

20 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

UA has great golf pants. Lightweight and just the perfect type of fabric to pack for cruises, especially longer ones where you need some more clothes and can pack two golf slacks in the space of 1 pair of denim jeans..  

I don't know the extent to which it applies to y'all or anyone else, but something I like about the Amazon ones is that they come in 29" inseam (which tends to be my size).  UA and many others don't come shorter than 30", and I'd just as soon not have to get something altered if I don't have to. 

Haggar also makes some great no-iron, breathable trousers with a bit of stretch and a 29" inseam (usually around $25-45/pair).  I had a glass of red wine spilled on a pair of those--stone colored, nonethess--and all it took to clean that up was a napkin.  That was on the first night of a two-week trip, and I was able to wear them a good 3-4 times more on that trip.  I survived something similar with the Amazon ones, too.  It's a kind of magic.

ETA: I completely agree that these sort of trousers pack so much more easily than jeans, even lightweight jeans.  Frankly, they also are more comfortable, and that's coming from someone who would've laughed at such a thought about five years ago.

Edited by DCPIV
  • Like 2