Earth and Ocean Cold Weather Cruises

aliaschief

20 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

New to Seabourn. Does.Earth and Ocean specialty dining still operate during cooler weather? We are booked on Quest late October from Montreal to Miami. Thanks.

Yes, they do operate in cool weather.  We were on Ovation in June above the Arctic Circle and dining at Earth and Ocean.  There are blankets and of course we dressed warmly with our stocking caps on.  It was fun!  We chose one of the more protected tables of course.  Ovation has NO outdoor heaters!  Don't ask me why--they should be installed. There ARE heaters outdoors for Sojourn--but they only cover one area and not entirely adequate.  I am assuming Quest has heaters.   I say go for it!  Earth and Ocean is our favorite restaurant onboard.  

IMG_5803 (1).JPG

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Thank you for your prompt replies. Brr!

We were quite comfortable this last June above the Arctic Circle.  Way back in 2019 we sailed on Seabourn's Sojourn from Kobe Japan to Vancouver.  At some point along the way, we TRIED to dine at Earth and Ocean under heaters--but we only got through one course--because it was too cold.  It wasn't nearly that cold this summer in the photo I posted here.  We had a great time--and I expect you will as well.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dunnedg said:

The food must have been cold. Not my idea of fun, but I don't even enjoy a bbq.

Much prefer a buffet🤭.

The food was not cold at all.  It IS our idea of fun and we never go to the buffet! It all goes to show that we don't all enjoy the same things.  

Edited by SLSD

We have dined outdoors on Quest in Antarctica and going from Iceland via Greenland to Montreal all in cold weather with no problem.  Also on Sojourn.  Both had heat lamps and blankets.

9 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

We ate outside multiple times in Antarctica on the Quest both for lunch and at E&O but on the last cruise it was cold and as @SLSD said no heaters, although at the Colonade outside they do have heaters.

Interesting, there were SOME heaters on Sojourn at Earth and Ocean, but not nearly enough.  And on Ovation, there were none.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, aliaschief said:

New to Seabourn. Does.Earth and Ocean specialty dining still operate during cooler weather? We are booked on Quest late October from Montreal to Miami. Thanks.

No they don't.  We were on the Iceland RT last week and they only opened when it was relatively warm.  I would say at least 50% of the time it was closed.  This was on Ovation.

Edited by texanaust
  • Like 1

We were on the Quest in 2019 and 2022 and ate many times at the E&O. There were definitely heat lamps. On really cold evenings, these lamps were no match against the cold wind when the ship was sailing. We tried to find a table which was as sheltered from the wind as possible, and dressed as if we were going on a zodiac excursion, with winter parkers, winter hat and a hood on top for extra measure. Once it was so cold we ate with our gloves on, and I remembered the food was worth the effort. What was served must be one of our favorites, such as the 24-hour lamb shank.

On the Odyssey this year, there were no heat lamps, but there were black radiating heaters, which we found to work better than heat lamps. The heat was less directional, and covered a wider area. These radiators were not conspicious. We only found out because once we had dinner there and feel warmth coming from overhead.

• Like 1

We were on the Quest October 2022 Montreal to New York and once E&O started dinner service (closed the first couple of days due to covid staff shortages) we ate there every night.  Yes, it was cold, but the food is so phenomenal that we just bundled up more.  It was our favorite dining venue on the Quest.  It's a limited menu but every entrée was superb.

Jackie 

• Like 1

Like SLSD we enjoyed a few nights at E&O in June in Norway, one evening I was dispatched for a heavy coat for my cool blooded Mrs, we were able to enjoy the remainder of the meal.  Another night we changed tables to dodge the wind.  All throughly enjoyable though some menus are much better than others imho.

We look forward to enjoying again on Odyssey next week.

2 hours ago, texanaust said:

No they don't.  We were on the Iceland RT last week and they only opened when it was relatively warm.  I would say at least 50% of the time it was closed.  This was on Ovation.

They have heaters at Earth and Ocean on the .encore,  we used them in May as it was so cold,

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Tallante said:

They have heaters at Earth and Ocean on the .encore,  we used them in May as it was so cold,

How strange--as there are none on Ovation.  Everyone asked.  

On 8/9/2023 at 4:31 PM, SLSD said:

Yes, they do operate in cool weather.  We were on Ovation in June above the Arctic Circle and dining at Earth and Ocean.  There are blankets and of course we dressed warmly with our stocking caps on.  It was fun!  We chose one of the more protected tables of course.  Ovation has NO outdoor heaters!  Don't ask me why--they should be installed. There ARE heaters outdoors for Sojourn--but they only cover one area and not entirely adequate.  I am assuming Quest has heaters.   I say go for it!  Earth and Ocean is our favorite restaurant onboard.  

IMG_5803 (1).JPG

We are on Ovation currently and they have built in permanent infrared heaters for the patio/Earth & Ocean dining area as well as the Aft outside area adjacent to Seabourn Square. Not well regulated. We had to ask them to turn the heaters on in Iceland and then to turn them up. Work well in calm seas but not so much in high winds.

59 minutes ago, Jimmycruiser said:

We are on Ovation currently and they have built in permanent infrared heaters for the patio/Earth & Ocean dining area as well as the Aft outside area adjacent to Seabourn Square. Not well regulated. We had to ask them to turn the heaters on in Iceland and then to turn them up. Work well in calm seas but not so much in high winds.

Wow,  I guess these were installed since June as they were definitely NOT there in June.  That's great.  We asked for heaters in June on Ovation on Earth and Ocean and they had none.  This is a good development.   Can you give a a photo?

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

The Ovation had the heaters in February.   Were they broken when SLSD was onboard?   

We saw no heaters and none were offered when we asked.  They were not evident as built in because we did not see them either. We looked for them.   We could have used them!  Are you sure you are not thinking about the Veranda outside of the Colonnade?  I am mystified as several people were asking about heaters.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, SLSD said:

We saw no heaters and none were offered when we asked.  They were not evident as built in because we did not see them either. We looked for them.   

Maybe the heaters mentioned by @Covepointcruiserand the infrared heaters mentioned by @Jimmycruiser are similar to the ones we saw on Odyssey. They do not have any red hot elements. They looked just like an extra ceiling panel, and can be easily missed. But they radiate heat.