Princess Plus worth the money?

nursemom23

6 minutes ago, Veinless said:

What dessert wines are offered with Plus? I’m a big fan of port but that’s not an easy keyword to search for. 

I'd like to know, as well. Good Ports are quite enjoyable. Not so good Ports... not so much.

I'm a BIG fan of very good Tokaji(s) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Veinless said:

What dessert wines are offered with Plus? I’m a big fan of port but that’s not an easy keyword to search for. 

1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

I'd like to know, as well. Good Ports are quite enjoyable. Not so good Ports... not so much.

Go to eat sleep cruise.com. They have a 2023 list of every bar menu on the Majestic 

• Thanks 1

Apologies for jumping in to this topic, but I have a similar query, but aimed at an Australian based cruise, so gratuities are not a factor.

Is it possible if one does NOT have the Plus package to have wi-fi on a pay-as-you-go basis? The Plus package would not suit me as I don't drink alcohol or coffee, don't eat desserts and wouldn't be using the gym!

But I would like to be able to go online if I wanted to.

TIA

1 hour ago, Korimako said:

Apologies for jumping in to this topic, but I have a similar query, but aimed at an Australian based cruise, so gratuities are not a factor.

Is it possible if one does NOT have the Plus package to have wi-fi on a pay-as-you-go basis? The Plus package would not suit me as I don't drink alcohol or coffee, don't eat desserts and wouldn't be using the gym!

TIA

Yes and I’m using it now on the Island Princess off Greenland @ $19.99 per day or cheaper per day over a longer term 👍

On 8/17/2023 at 7:26 AM, voljeep said:

I believe you posted that you booked a 30 day cruise without PLUS instead of a flight. If you want to answer, fine, if not, fine, but ... a few Pelligrino's, a Jameson shot in the coffee, and a couple of double Scotch neat ... that's the package when including grats ...

I know you'll get a mini bar setup, or so, and that can take care of the Pelligrino / beers and maybe OBC for the other?

We are actually vacillating in regard to switching to the Plus fare. We keep going back and forth.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We just booked our first cruise since 2019, and it has 3 sea days and 3 port days. I want to escape winter and go somewhere warm, and we do use wifi and the included tips makes it worth it to me. Maybe there is a slight chance we would come out under if we were paying as we went, but having the flexibility as well to order a cocktail I wouldn't normally because I want to try it (and if I hate it, I get a different one) while on a Caribbean cruise is worth it to me. If I was sailing in Europe or somewhere more port intensive where I expect to be off the ship a ton and also exhausted each evening - probably not.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2023 at 12:17 PM, donaldsc said:

What would that red wine cost if you bought it at a large discount wine store - maybe $15 - $20 dollars.  Even adding the corkage you come out behind with the plus plan.  

DON

LOL.  Not quite.  $20 wines are more like $60.  I have priced out all of the Princess menu wines and some are around the $10 - $15 mark at retail (Total Wine or similar).  Markups these days on their bottled wine is often $40 range or even more typically.  That said, one can find a small number of bottles on the list where the cost to buy and pay $20 corkage is under $10 savings over PCL menu price + 18% gratuity.  There was a Merlot that was actually cheaper on the ship, but IDK if they still have it.  Something like that is a rarity on the full wine list.

On 8/19/2023 at 12:21 PM, memoak said:

It’s kind of a drag bringing a case on board paying the corkage and running back to the cabin all the time to get a fresh glass 

This is unnecessary.  Just take the bottle with you to dinner (or lunch).  I don't mind it at all as I am saving a ton of money when I bring my own wine on board.  I also have a collapsible tote that I can strap a carton to if needed.  Have not seen a staffed wine table in "forever" since we check-in early.  Seems like that is typical from reading other reports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2023 at 3:55 PM, Korimako said:

TIA

Your Plus packages are priced lower to account for missing the Crew Appreciation since CA is baked into your cruise fare that you pay.

On 8/20/2023 at 6:42 PM, Korimako said:

Thanks!

What sort of $$$ is that -  NZ, AUD,CAD US?? My cruise is priced in AUD.

It costs $15/day for a single device and not sure what the current PCL conversion to USD is in play. 

The $20 figure quoted above is not quite accurate as that is intended for single disparate days.  If you book for the voyage, it is $15.

Edited by Steelers36

On 8/19/2023 at 10:48 PM, MamaFej said:

Last full wine menu I saw offered only one port by the glass.  No Tokaji.

On 8/20/2023 at 1:14 AM, jwattle said:

When we were on Majestic, we asked the servers in Reserve Class for the full lust of ports, versus the one or two that were on the menu. We found some nice 20 year ones to enjoy.

Bottles I presume?  Old stock?  Were they willing to pour BTG?

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Last full wine menu I saw offered only one port by the glass.  No Tokaji.

Bottles I presume?  Old stock?  Were they willing to pour BTG?

No, they had a large list of BTG that were acceptable to him (and to me) as he prefers his dessert in liquid form 😉

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scotmay said:

Canadian here. Hubby and I like CDN rye, but always find rye brands quite limited. Anybody any experience with this. 

I know Canadian whiskey is considered "rye" by many but the truth is that it is generally no more than 10% rye which gives it a slightly different flavor. I drink Bulleit Rye - the mash bill is 95% rye and 5% barley - and find it quite good. Even Bulleit Bourbon is around 28% rye. I know Canadian whiskey has many fans but to classify it as "rye whiskey" is not at all accurate. There is a Canadian Club that is 100% rye.

Note: I am not endeavoring to demean Canadian whiskey. I'm just clarifying that, while it has a small rye component which gives it a different flavor profile than whiskey without rye in the mash bill, it shouldn't be classified as "rye whiskey".

6 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I know Canadian whiskey is considered "rye" by many but the truth is that it is generally no more than 10% rye which gives it a slightly different flavor. I drink Bulleit Rye - the mash bill is 95% rye and 5% barley - and find it quite good. Even Bulleit Bourbon is around 28% rye. I know Canadian whiskey has many fans but to classify it as "rye whiskey" is not at all accurate. There is a Canadian Club that is 100% rye.

Note: I am not endeavoring to demean Canadian whiskey. I'm just clarifying that, while it has a small rye component which gives it a different flavor profile than whiskey without rye in the mash bill, it shouldn't be classified as "rye whiskey".

Alrighty, then.  If I have to learn to write "TAs" and not "TA's", then you have to learn to write Canadian "whisky" and not "whiskey".  Deal?  😁

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Alrighty, then.  If I have to learn to write "TAs" and not "TA's", then you have to learn to write Canadian "whisky" and not "whiskey".  Deal?  😁

Deal! I should have checked that spelling before posting. American and Irish whiskey use the "ey" ending. Canadian, Japanese, and Scotch all use whisky without the "e". My bad. (I am well aware of the different usage for Scotch Whisky but failed to verify for the Canadian Whisky.) Thank you for the correction and I will remember this in the future. 😁

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

I think @Thrak should go sit in the Time Out chair (with the beverage of his choice) and think about what he's done. 

Yes, dear.

Note: After 51 years of marriage I can say the above with a straight face.. and actually mean it. 😵

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 8/19/2023 at 8:49 AM, Boiler Cruiser said:

My wife and I appreciated having the Premier Beverage Package very much.  She and I each drink 4-5 cups of coffee a day, not including the Café Mocha or Cappuccino we enjoy from time to time.

We also drink a couple of beers with lunch, or a soda.

Something I have not been able to figure out is exactly what beverages are free. So if my husband has a plain coffee with breakfast and a small OJ and I have a cup of tea, is any of that included? It sounds like it would be from what I read in some places, but then in other places, what I read makes it seem like maybe not.

What about fountain drinks at the buffet? Soda or Ice Tea with Lunch and Dinner in the MDR?

Is anything but tap water included with the Standard fare?

8 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

Something I have not been able to figure out is exactly what beverages are free. So if my husband has a plain coffee with breakfast and a small OJ and I have a cup of tea, is any of that included? It sounds like it would be from what I read in some places, but then in other places, what I read makes it seem like maybe not.

What about fountain drinks at the buffet? Soda or Ice Tea with Lunch and Dinner in the MDR?

Is anything but tap water included with the Standard fare?

We never buy plus or any drink package because we never, or rarely drink.  Coffee, tea, water, juice at breakfast, usually some kinds of juices at lunch and on the lido deck are all included with your standard fare.  Many people don't care much for the included coffee, but I'm fine with it. 

Pop is always extra, as is specialty (or better) coffee, orange juice outside of breakfast, and things like lemonade at lunch or dinner.  I've never ordered ice tea at dinner but I *think* it's included.  Bottled water is extra, but a reasonable price to buy a 12 pack.

• Like 1