Princess Plus worth the money?

nursemom23

14 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Why is that? If it is in the bottle and you can buy it, with the 25% off, why can't you get a glass if you have the package? Another way of generating more revenue. You paid for a package that includes wine and then you have to buy it by the bottle? LOL

They are not going to open a $100 bottle to pour you one glass. This is the case in every restaurant I have ever been in. 2 lists  one by the glass and one by the bottle

• Like 1

Have you check the wine list and see that they sell many premium wines by the glass. Some more expensive than others and some they sell by the glass and some they don't.

I would say based on popularity of the wine, not always by price. 

Ahhhh wine . Cruise lines could save tens of thousands and perhaps pass those savings onto their passenger, if they had DtC ability. Skip the middle man and save 12-18 % right off the top. Product from the Napa region broke their own record for average cost per bottle, so don't look to see many varieties populating list onboard. Supply is still touch and go,. Bottle, corks, caps, labels even truck drivers are all in short supply. This has led to increases in production cost and ultimately led to higher self prices 22', 23' and 24' . Cruise lines (most) will look to stream line inventory and use outside sourcing to meet demand. 

• Like 3

On 8/15/2023 at 7:53 PM, drwbrt said:

This is how we looked at it. If you plan to use WiFi it is worth it.  It includes your daily gratuities and WiFi.  That is worth $31 per day.  Let's just pause there.  That means you need $29 of value per day to break even.  That's two coffees, two sodas, and a mocktail a day (or two coffees and six waters).  You don't even have to drink alcohol to get your monies worth.  If you do drink alcohol, it's three drinks/day to break even. 

In addition to the above, you will also get your Medallion shipped to you for free (otherwise $10), this lets you board smoother.  Plus also allows you to use OceanNow (now this costs $14.99 per cruise).  You will be able to visit the casual dining two times (valued at $14.99 per visit).  You also get desserts (2/day), the juice bar (unlimited), and fitness classes (2/cruise), but these didn't rank as high for us. 

THIS.

Last Sept sailed w/ DH's aunt & uncle who are late 70s.

They thought, no they don't drink much.

Um...a nice coffee for breakfast, waters to take onto port, a beer or wine with dinner & perhaps a nightcap--would EASILY be more than $29.

And that was PORT days!

There were a few more drinks imbibed on sea days!

Regarding internet, even on port intensive cruises:

Just got off Med cruise w/ DD.

She had international plan so we had service on her phone on ports.

I had unlimited internet (she had 150 min) on the ship...we did appreciate having both.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oxo said:

Why is that? If it is in the bottle and you can buy it, with the 25% off, why can't you get a glass if you have the package? Another way of generating more revenue. You paid for a package that includes wine and then you have to buy it by the bottle? LOL

3 hours ago, jwattle said:

Because they don't want their higher-end wines opened for just a glass or two...

True, but only a limited number of the mid-price wines (PCL mid-pricing of course) are offered BTG.  No restaurant will ever have most of their wines BTG.

After posting, I saw #175 and she is bang on.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Oxo said:

Have you check the wine list and see that they sell many premium wines by the glass. Some more expensive than others and some they sell by the glass and some they don't.

I would say based on popularity of the wine, not always by price. 

What do you consider "premium wine"?  They never sold the more upscale priced wines (PCL menu pricing) by the glass.  "Premium" could be subjective to people. 

I would say they have some additional WBTG now so that there are some that fit into the Premier package pricing allowance.  But these are mostly mid-range type wines IMO and maybe one or two at most might be termed "premium".  Let's realize that the wine is marked-up a mile on board and a $60 or $70 bottle is hardly "premium".

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Thrak said:

When we stayed at the Hotel Continental on La Rambla in Barcelona they had "free" beer and wine 24/7. You knew it had to be "really fine wine" as it was self-serve and on tap. 😵

Stayed there 3 times and going back in Oct 23. Best value for the $. Close to everything.

I found out over the years when you drink the expensive or cheap it all comes out the same way. LOL

17 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

What do you consider "premium wine"?  They never sold the more upscale priced wines (PCL menu pricing) by the glass.  "Premium" could be subjective to people. 

I would say they have some additional WBTG now so that there are some that fit into the Premier package pricing allowance.  But these are mostly mid-range type wines IMO and maybe one or two at most might be termed "premium".  Let's realize that the wine is marked-up a mile on board and a $60 or $70 bottle is hardly "premium".

I looked at the Princess wine lists posted. Seen what is sold by the glass. Then saw the price of the bottle. That is what I consider the premium. Any glass over $15.

On 8/18/2023 at 4:52 PM, TheMichael said:

Yeah, $20 extra/day vs. $14.99… 🤔 

Not even that much if you just want a pizza and salad à la carte for lunch.  Premier is not worth it to me but I am grumpy about the twice per cruise casual dining on Plus because we are going 24 nights in September and for that length I would definitely fancy pizza more than twice so I’ll have to pay for something that was previously included.
Regarding alcohol it wouldn’t cross my mind to lug a crate of wine onboard at Southampton.  I’ve never seen anyone do it and I would be embarrassed to do it.  This cruise is seriously expensive and no way am I going to deny myself what I want when I want it.   I’m not at home, that’s the whole point, it’s an indulgence I’m fortunate enough to be able to afford and I’m with the lady Arwen (?) on this.  I’ve looked at the Good Spirits menu and a cocktail (which I only have on ships) is $15, add a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, an Amaretto afterwards and I’m at least breaking even on Plus so all good for me.

On 8/26/2023 at 9:57 AM, Steelers36 said:

I am not sure of any recent price adjustments (say by earlier this year), but last year they had 11 bottles under $45.  They had 14 bottles from $45 to under $50.  They had 59 bottles from $50 to under $70.  They had 29 bottles from $70 to $100.  They had 14 in the $100's.  Then they had another 11 from above $200 to the ridiculous.  Obviously wines under $45 are not marked up by quite $40.  You could expect typically a $30 - $40 markup in the lower price ranges.

Thanks, thats what I figured the prices would be. In that range I can pretty much average $50 per bottle. Since I'm getting 25% off of that with Plus then I figure a bottle would cost me about $37.50 net since Plus covers the 18% as well. Again based on a $50 bottle of wine. Am I wrong with my calculations?

15 minutes ago, HMSDingy said:

Thanks, thats what I figured the prices would be. In that range I can pretty much average $50 per bottle. Since I'm getting 25% off of that with Plus then I figure a bottle would cost me about $37.50 net since Plus covers the 18% as well. Again based on a $50 bottle of wine. Am I wrong with my calculations?

I cannot remember if we paid the 18% on bottles last cruise

3 hours ago, HMSDingy said:

I am very sure you pay 18% on the 75% net cost.

9 minutes ago, HMSDingy said:

I should of checked before responding but on the Princess website it says that tips are included.

Screenshot2023-08-27at4_11_32PM.thumb.png.770ebfbf739fdd76c43dfd377bd2f332.png

I see, but am not convinced that this isn't poor Princess wording.  Someone else will likely chime in and confirm one way or other.  I have never had Plus, so not sure.

Just now, Steelers36 said:

I see, but am not convinced that this isn't poor Princess wording.  Someone else will likely chime in and confirm one way or other.  I have never had Plus, so not sure.

I'm on a chat right now with a Princess rep, we'll see what they say.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

4 minutes ago, HMSDingy said:

I'm on a chat right now with a Princess rep, we'll see what they say.

The person I'm chatting with does even know the basic inclusions in a Plus package. I'm wasting my time with them.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HMSDingy said:

The person I'm chatting with does even know the basic inclusions in a Plus package. I'm wasting my time with them.

Finally, t got an answer and yes the tips are included. I got a transcript of the conversation which I'll bring with me, just in case. Thanks for your info.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, SJpaul said:

Just wanted to ask a clarifying question on the premier package.... do they actually offer drinks ( like wine types etc) that you CANT get with the plus, or do you just get 20 credit vs 15 for each drink

TYIA

I answered this question on the other thread where you posted the same question.

• Haha 1

On 8/16/2023 at 8:59 AM, JimmyVWine said:

To be fair, you still need to add in the purchase price of the wine that you plan to bring on, especially if you buy it at the port of departure.  I often bring on wines from my cellar that I have owned for years, and lie to myself and consider them "free".  But if I go to Total in FLL the day before my cruise and spend $300 on wine, I can't lie to myself and pretend that this was not part of the cost of the cruise.  

Since you have a home cellar with some aged wine please check out Wine Watch next time instead of Total Wines. It's just a bit further north then Total Wines and will absolutely have a much more interesting selection, it's a very cool small boutique wine store. Highly recommended

• Thanks 1

I have not cruised in years. I have no idea what" oceans now" is.? Never used "Medallion"? Do you have to wear that device? Last time all we had was a cruise card on a lanyard on our neck. Can we still do that? Why pay anything extra for a meal? Buffet free, dining room free, pizza free, international cafe free.  We do not drink alcohol. Maybe a few sodas

Lots of talk on this question about alcohol. I said I do not drink. So is this plus worth it. How much is gratituties per person a day? How much is just a soda only package? I dont need this medallion. Just a cruise card given onboard