NOW I have a problem with the new Suite policies

sixpackeddie

On Eclipse now, in two different sky suites on a b2b. On each segment the head butler arranged to have our minibar cleared out and stocked with the soft drinks and water we like. I know it's not an official perk but in sky suites we've always had butlers willing to do it. Can't say they all will, but pleasantly surprised this trip after all the cuts.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

On Eclipse now, in two different sky suites on a b2b. On each segment the head butler arranged to have our minibar cleared out and stocked with the soft drinks and water we like. I know it's not an official perk but in sky suites we've always had butlers willing to do it. Can't say they all will, but pleasantly surprised this trip after all the cuts.

When did you cruise? SS no longer have butlers, as I understand it. The SS have overworked “Retreat hosts” that work in rotation among the suites.

31 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

When did you cruise? SS no longer have butlers, as I understand it. The SS have overworked “Retreat hosts” that work in rotation among the suites.

SS still have butler service through a butler team headed up by a head butler.  SS just do not have a dedicated single butler assigned to their suite.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

SS still have butler service through a butler team headed up by a head butler.  SS just do not have a dedicated single butler assigned to their suite.

From what I have read the “team” consists of a

- Retreat Host/cabin attendant,

-Conciegre’s located in the Retreat Lounge who you can call or go see with requests/problems, 

-Room Service who you call for food/snacks and they deliver them, just as they do for all cabins 

-Head Butler who oversees the Butlers for Celebrity Suites  and above, the Hosts and Retreat Lounge staff. 

18 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Well, this is a real mystery as to what CS does and doesn’t get regarding in suite drinks. All I know is what was furnished to us back in 2018. I think the problem is that we don’t really know what will be the rule for any X suite now and in the future.

unfortunately there have been a lot of changes in the last few months so hard to say what you had 5 years ago is still included

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 4:28 PM, jelayne said:

From what I have read the “team” consists of a

- Retreat Host/cabin attendant,

-Conciegre’s located in the Retreat Lounge who you can call or go see with requests/problems, 

-Room Service who you call for food/snacks and they deliver them, just as they do for all cabins 

-Head Butler who oversees the Butlers for Celebrity Suites  and above, the Hosts and Retreat Lounge staff. 

That what it seems by what has been reported so far. What's interesting is:

1) We always had a room attendant. Giving them more to do doesn't elevate the experience.

2) The Retreat Concierge's have always been there. Giving them more to do doesn't elevate the experience.

3) Always had room service -- as does every other cabin that pays a lot less than Retreat guests.

4) Where is the elevated experience provided by a Head Butler. I would assume that the former butlers had some manager above them overseeing their work.

I struggle to find out how anyone can spin this new setup to be an "elevated" experience.

I'll find out in January on Ascent and February on Beyond. But my late 2024 and 2025 cruises which have been booked in the last month or two are not on X. 

mac_tlc 

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If you have been in The Retreat, you new well aware that butlers are all different, in terms of what they will do.  The best butler/room attendant experience we ever had was from our room attendant on Beyond.  Even when we moved to our second cruise in an SV, our room attendant still watched over us, as we missed him due to being one cabin away from his section.  He was definitely the gold standard and such a wonderful individual.  My point is that you never really know what you are going to get...that was truly an elevated experience for us!

• Like 4

Our cabin steward (Aqua) on Silhouette in June was a gem! If I had a ‘host’ like him I’d be happy. Boarding Beyond in 2 days - magic carpet suite. So let’s see! 

m Edit: I intend to have a great cruise. Butler or not!

Edited by wineoclock
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wineoclock said:

Our cabin steward (Aqua) on Silhouette in June was a gem! If I had a ‘host’ like him I’d be happy. Boarding Beyond in 2 days - magic carpet suite. So let’s see! 

m Edit: I intend to have a great cruise. Butler or not!

I agree that the ‘individual’ is often more important than the job description…

Some room attendants/butlers/concierge/suite managers are outstanding. They are genuinely focused on making your cruise experience the best it can be. It doesn’t necessarily mean the others are bad they simply follow the script of their job description. My worry for the Sky Suite room attendants/hosts is the time it takes to ‘lift’ the experience has to come from somewhere…

Worst service experience ever was on RC with a Genie who didn’t appear from his lamp until the end of day two of our cruise. He then phoned to ask if there was anything he could do. He told us to phone room service ourselves to arrange in suit snacks and said it would be easier if we phoned one of the speciality restaurants ourselves to arrange a change to a booking as they could ‘discuss all options’. He then tried hard to persuade us to book private photos bookings and an in suite demonstration of some new jewellery line…He acted as if we had let him down by giving a firm no…He then disappeared back in his lamp…

Edited by chemmo
  • Haha 5

14 hours ago, chemmo said:

I agree that the ‘individual’ is often more important than the job description…

Some room attendants/butlers/concierge/suite managers are outstanding. They are genuinely focused on making your cruise experience the best it can be. It doesn’t necessarily mean the others are bad they simply follow the script of their job description. My worry for the Sky Suite room attendants/hosts is the time it takes to ‘lift’ the experience has to come from somewhere…

Worst service experience ever was on RC with a Genie who didn’t appear from his lamp until the end of day two of our cruise. He then phoned to ask if there was anything he could do. He told us to phone room service ourselves to arrange in suit snacks and said it would be easier if we phoned one of the speciality restaurants ourselves to arrange a change to a booking as they could ‘discuss all options’. He then tried hard to persuade us to book private photos bookings and an in suite demonstration of some new jewellery line…He acted as if we had let him down by giving a firm no…He then disappeared back in his lamp…

Curious which ship and stateroom type for the Genie?

9 minutes ago, buncosquad said:

Curious which ship and stateroom type for the Genie?

All Star Class suites on Oasis, Quantum and Icon class ships have a Genie. On Oasis it includes the 2 Bedroom Aquatheatre Suites ( 6 of them), Star Loft Suite ( 2 of them) , Royal Loft Suite (one of them), Ultimate Panoramic Suite (1), Owners Panoramic Suite (1) and Grand Panoramic Suite (1). Slightly different ones on other Oasis class ships. Less on Quantum class ships. 

mac_tlc

7 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

All Star Class suites on Oasis, Quantum and Icon class ships have a Genie. On Oasis it includes the 2 Bedroom Aquatheatre Suites ( 6 of them), Star Loft Suite ( 2 of them) , Royal Loft Suite (one of them), Ultimate Panoramic Suite (1), Owners Panoramic Suite (1) and Grand Panoramic Suite (1). Slightly different ones on other Oasis class ships. Less on Quantum class ships. 

mac_tlc

Understand that part. Appreciate it.

I meant for Chemmo, on which ship and stateroom were they in when that Genie was a ghost.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chemmo said:

That sounds horrific.  Those Star class suites are expensive.

Hope you complained to his manager.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, buncosquad said:

Understand that part. Appreciate it.

I meant for Chemmo, on which ship and stateroom were they in when that Genie was a ghost.

Oasis of the Seas, in an Aqua Theatre suite…We believe on the same cruise (2017ish?) others complained about the service. We didn’t as we had never had a genie and believed the popping back in the bottle was usual. It was our one and only Genie cruise. I am aware others have had a much better experience. 

On the same cruise as the suite lounge was full every evening with pinnacle guests we decided to try out the Diamond Lounge…I was very rudely challenged by an elderly lady who told me “This lounge is for Diamond and above, you can’t be Diamond as you are English”. I think I sort of spoilt her day when I politely said I was Diamond Plus…

We haven’t cruised RC since….The suite lounge was, as said, hard to get a seat in, Diamond Lounge very cliquish….I think it was the tipping point for us, up to then we had mixed and matched Celebrity and RC.

Moral of the story…Some cruises are definitely better than others!

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 3