Ultimate Balcony dining

zumbagold

I’m not sure if you were referring to the dinner experience but I have the same question about the ultimate balcony breakfast.  We did it a few years ago and it was terrific.  Is it still offered?  If so, is it available on all ships?  How do I book it?

1 hour ago, zumbagold said:

Hello. Is the balcony dining experience still be offered? If so, How do I book it? Thank you!

I'm on a cruise in December & just went onto my booking under "Food & Beverage Experiences" & could book either the breakfast or dinner.

I could pick which day I wanted but not the time so I assume the time would be done once on the ship.

Tom

6 hours ago, zumbagold said:

Hello. Is the balcony dining experience still be offered? If so, How do I book it? Thank you!

Yes. Cruise personalizer, onboard services, food and beverages..

you’ll see UBD and UBB.

They are limited on UBD, so I would book ahead if possible.

Also, it could go up again.

You could also wait until OB if you

are using OBC. But, of course, availability is a factor.

You can put the date and in the note section, I put the port, date and time I desire.

Now, once OB, RS will call and verify the date, time, drink choices and any allergies you may have.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Carnevale said:

I’m not sure if you were referring to the dinner experience but I have the same question about the ultimate balcony breakfast.  We did it a few years ago and it was terrific.  Is it still offered?  If so, is it available on all ships?  How do I book it?

It has been available on all the ships we’ve been on in the last year.

See my post about all the specifics.  Post #1. 

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, trbarton said:

I'm on a cruise in December & just went onto my booking under "Food & Beverage Experiences" & could book either the breakfast or dinner.

I could pick which day I wanted but not the time so I assume the time would be done once on the ship.

Tom

Just add it in the notes, when you book it.  RS will call you to set up a time, no problem.

1 hour ago, Weebo15 said:

We’re on Sky in 3 weeks. I’m tempted by the dinner but wonder how well UBD can suit dietary requirements? Dad has a shellfish allergy so I’m thinking it’s not worthwhile for him?

The standard mains are three choices:  Filet Mignon, Lobster, or a Combo.

On 8/23/2023 at 11:14 PM, zumbagold said:

You may book it on your Personalizer.  It's now $110/couple.  I am going to wait and see if we can book once we are onboard to use some of our OBC.  If it's not available, oh well, maybe another time.
We have done it and it's lovely.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 12:21 AM, Carnevale said:

It is not available on all ships...at least it wasn't available when we were on the Caribbean Princess last October although they allowed us to make the reservation and pre-pay for it prior to cruising.  We found out onboard it wasn't available. We kept waiting for them to call and when the call never came we inquired about and that's when they said it wasn't available...LOL

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

The standard mains are three choices:  Filet Mignon, Lobster, or a Combo.

Thank you, everything I’d seen so far online only mentioned the combo so assumed it was a set menu.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Weebo15 said:

Thank you, everything I’d seen so far online only mentioned the combo so assumed it was a set menu.

It is a set menu, but you can change it a little.  When they call from RS, they will tell you what the menu is and you can tell them what you would like to substitute.

I got all lobster, (2) because I’d had enough steaks. 😂 

They will ask about allergies, cocktails choice, etc.

Our favorite meal on the ship!

• Like 1

Prior to our UBD on the Discovery in April, we had done the UBD on the Golden in Honolulu in 2013 and the Star in SF in 2018 and always raved about our experiences. Don't know if it was just this sailing or ship but our view has changed.

First of all, no one called from RS to discuss the menu. I called them and they said someone would call back after they returned from the Sky suite, who were also doing the dinner the same night as we were. They finally called, and by that time the only time available was 5:30 PM. Didn't really like that ,but we wanted to do the dinner the eve in SF as we were celebrating our 50th anniversary and we had started our married life in the SF Bay Area so that is why we had booked it in the first place.

In the past, they provided a lovely floral arrangement for the table, this time is was a few carnations in a small vase. The photographer evidently wasn't impressed either, as he replaced that with the roses I had received from my DH, when he took the photos at the table.

Well it wasn't just 2 dinners they were doing the same night as our but 4, each an hour apart. And the best part is the same 2 person waiter/asst were doing all of them. So the service was not the same as in the past. We did tip the waiter, since it wasn't his fault management made this stupid decision, and asked to have the assistant come by so we could tip him as we had not seen him the entire time. Finally at 10PM we had a knock on the door and the assistant was there looking like he had just finished running a marathon. Really felt sorry as the poor guy was exhausted. 

So maybe you will be lucky and have an experience like our first two but just be prepared for the opposite. I recommend calling RS as soon as you board to discuss the menu and time you would like to dine. 

We did the ultimate balcony dining once in a standard balcony cabin.  The food was excellent, however word to the wise.  Standard balconies are not really big enough for this and all we had was the little table that was out there.  It was tight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hobo1937 said:

So maybe you will be lucky and have an experience like our first two but just be prepared for the opposite. I recommend calling RS as soon as you board to discuss the menu and time you would like to dine.

We did on Island last November.  IDK what a guest can do if they overbook on the schedule and run the help ragged.  On hour per cabin is not enough.  I could see the same crew handling two cabins a few doors apart almost simultaneously, but otherwise the experience could be compromised.

I would have spoken to F&B manager if I came to understand this is what they did.  Anyway, hope you try it again as I think it is well worth the up-charge over two covers at the Crown Grill.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Carnevale said:

Do they bring a bigger table?  What’s on the balconies seem too tiny to enjoy dining there.

If your balcony does not have a large table on the balcony, yes they will bring one and set it up.

We always book a large balcony, with a large table, so we haven’t needed it.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jwattle said:
On 8/31/2023 at 2:34 PM, 58Piano said:

You can do it in you cabin.

A chuckle for the day. Thanks 😂

Seriously, is there room in an inside for the table and chairs setup?

IDK haven’t stayed in an inside, but some ships inside cabins are very small. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 9:37 PM, trbarton said:

We have done the UBD twice this year. Both times I selected the day when I placed the reservation, but also both times they called me on the first day of the cruise to confirm the date. (I assume you can change the date at this time, if needed) and also to set the time. I believe I had the option of 6:30 or 8:00.

We had a balcony cabin on the Caribe deck of the Crown and Emerald, which is larger than those on the Aloha or Baja decks. We also had good weather and ate outside both times. My brother tells me that he has done the UBD once or twice in the cabin with no issues. 

Just be aware that it's a lot of food, so don't eat a big lunch

• Like 2