Plus/Premier for One?

calvin31

I did try to search this answer but to no avail….can only 1 person in a stateroom have the plus/premier fare/package or do both pax 1 and 2 have to? In the past the various drink packages were very clear that everyone in the cabin (at least pax 1 and 2) had to have the same level of package (to prevent sharing) but now I can’t find references to that anywhere (even for the standalone drink packages). Have things changed perhaps? I am thinking of maybe upgrading onboard on day 1 but it’s not worth it if both of us have to have it (& no, I wouldn’t be sharing either). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, calvin31 said:

In the past the various drink packages were very clear that everyone in the cabin (at least pax 1 and 2) had to have the same level of package (to prevent sharing) but now I can’t find references to that anywhere (even for the standalone drink packages). 

Not true for Princess.

True on some other cruise lines.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, caribill said:

Not true for Princess.

True on some other cruise lines.

Really?? I swear I recall vividly that both people had to have the drink package or they were afraid too much sharing would occur. Oh well….lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, calvin31 said:

Really?? I swear I recall vividly that both people had to have the drink package or they were afraid too much sharing would occur. Oh well….lol

I agree with @ceilidh1 that for the Plus/Premier packages, both guests 1 & 2 must purchase the package in the same cabin.  The only reference that I could find on the website was under the package FAQ was that guests 3 & 4 were not required to purchase a package.

I had to dig through the website to find this.  

There is another good thread on this subject.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Plus or Premier fare must be purchased by both passenger 1 and 2. Plus or Premier drink package can be purchased by a single person but it is crazy expensive as it doesn't include gratuities, Internet, room service, Ocean Now, etc.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Plus or Premier fare must be purchased by both passenger 1 and 2. Plus or Premier drink package can be purchased by a single person but it is crazy expensive as it doesn't include gratuities, Internet, room service, Ocean Now, etc.

And costs more than the fare version. This would really only help if the 2nd person is not going to use Wi-Fi and not drink anything. 

The Princess Plus fare costs $60 per person per day. The Plus Beverage Package costs $76.69 per person per day ($64.99 plus 18% service charge).

Assume that the second person does not drink any specialty tea or coffee, use wifi, order room service, or use anything else in the Plus package.

Crew appreciation is $16 per person per day in an interior, oceanview, or balcony; $17 per person per day in a mini-suite or Reserve Collection mini-suite; or $18 per person per day in a suite. I assume that the second person will not cut this.

Price per day for two people:

• With two Plus fares: $120 (two times $60)
  • With one Plus beverage package in a balcony cabin: $108.69 ($76.69 plus two times $16)
  • Savings by booking one Plus beverage package instead of two Plus fares: $11.31

I would think even without drinking any alcoholic beverages that the Plus fare would be worth more than $11.31 per day to the second person. However, if the second person will use absolutely nothing that isn't included in the basic fare, then I guess you could save $11.31 per day.

14 hours ago, memoak said:

And costs more than the fare version. This would really only help if the 2nd person is not going to use Wi-Fi and not drink anything. 

Yes, pretty much nothing at all that costs.  And even then, the savings are quite trivial so as to not give Princess the "pleasure" to have sold one.

In Australia, as of a few months ago, a change came through that we are now able to purchase the Plus or Premier Fare Package for just one member of a couple. (I am not referring to the stand alone drinks package but the Plus/Premier Fare).  We have used the same travel agent for a decade and she let us know of the new rule a few months ago.  Have booked two upcoming cruises on that basis - one person with Plus and other person no package.

It is strange that it would be different in USA.

• Like 1

So many theories and not sure where all this is leading but I know for a fact that I have now sailed twice with one using the premier package and the other using the plus package.  The only problem I had was Princess for their own reason did not let me book this way through Travel agent.  We originally booked the plus and then when we boarded I upgraded just one to the premier package.  From reading Tripmode33 it appears Australia is even ahead of Canada/USA sailings if they are allowed to book this way .  Sounds good and maybe Princess should be clearer and more universally the same in there practices where ever they sail.