Jewellry for Medallion

jipsy

11 hours ago, rich_cathybrock said:

Thank you SO much for this.  I found then, however tripped over a (unfair IMHO) negative review from a customer who bought a 30mm diameter and flamed a seller because her medallion didn't fit.  Evidently, you need 30mm on the interior.  I will try your seller and let you know.   Thank you so much!

rich_cathybrock and smwg

No problems, always happy to help out fellow cruisers (and 'bling' lovers).

Yes it needs to be 30mm on the inside...so outside diameter could be anything from 34mm plus.  Basically same measurements as an apple air tag holder.  Be careful when purchasing to ensure the inside is at least 30mm (or apparently large enough to hold a US quarter or 2 pound coin).  If you are looking at purchasing from Etsy, you could always ask the seller to measure the inside diameter to be sure, prior to buying.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2023 at 8:37 PM, Aussie lost in space said:

rich_cathybrock and smwg

No problems, always happy to help out fellow cruisers (and 'bling' lovers).

Yes it needs to be 30mm on the inside...so outside diameter could be anything from 34mm plus.  Basically same measurements as an apple air tag holder.  Be careful when purchasing to ensure the inside is at least 30mm (or apparently large enough to hold a US quarter or 2 pound coin).  If you are looking at purchasing from Etsy, you could always ask the seller to measure the inside diameter to be sure, prior to buying.

By chance have you had any luck finding floating locker bracelets with the 30mm interior diameter? I’ve searched high and low and can only find a max 23mm inner diameter. 

@strobellayjam I was unable to find any bracelets that have the depth necessary to insert a medallion, even if the diameter was sufficient.  One seller replied to a message to advise that none of her bracelets including the one with the correct diameter would be useable.  As I have some of the casual silicone wristbands, and also have belt clip holders with carabiner clips, I opted for a pendant holder with a couple of really cool necklace-style ID badge holders that I can also use for work later.  I believe I have now invested 300% of what I would have spent on Princess to buy theirs, but I have a variety that has sated my OCD for this need! 

We haven't sailed since March of 2020, and I realize how badly I need this cruise fix now. 🙂

1 hour ago, rich_cathybrock said:

@strobellayjam I was unable to find any bracelets that have the depth necessary to insert a medallion, even if the diameter was sufficient.  One seller replied to a message to advise that none of her bracelets including the one with the correct diameter would be useable.  As I have some of the casual silicone wristbands, and also have belt clip holders with carabiner clips, I opted for a pendant holder with a couple of really cool necklace-style ID badge holders that I can also use for work later.  I believe I have now invested 300% of what I would have spent on Princess to buy theirs, but I have a variety that has sated my OCD for this need! 

We haven't sailed since March of 2020, and I realize how badly I need this cruise fix now. 🙂

Where did you find yours?  Thanks

18 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

If I remember correctly the medallion came in some sort of a holder.  Why would anyone spend extra money for a fancier holder.  Seems like a waste to me.  Am I missing something?

DON

I would not call that clear plastic thing as a holder. You really don’t need a holder just stick the medallion in your pocket

Just now, memoak said:

I would not call that clear plastic thing as a holder. You really don’t need a holder just stick the medallion in your pocket

Didn't that clear plastic thing have a string or something so you could put it around your neck. .  What else do you need as long as you also have a pocket.  

DON

22 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Didn't that clear plastic thing have a string or something so you could put it around your neck. .  What else do you need as long as you also have a pocket.  

DON

I can’t stand lanyards or things hanging around my neck   You can just stick it in a pocket. The last thing I want to do in port is have stuff around my neck. That is a dead giveaway as a tourist and target

3 hours ago, rich_cathybrock said:

I think this is all part of the fun in getting ready for the cruise. I’ve found some

potential DIY options am eager to try. Will share what I’m able to fashion up. 

I think it’s time to put your medallion holders to use for a cruise soon!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

If I remember correctly the medallion came in some sort of a holder.  Why would anyone spend extra money for a fancier holder.  Seems like a waste to me.  Am I missing something?

DON

It's just a personal preference for some.  Many are content with using the lanyard that Princess provides.  I've used the silicone Airtag holders on past cruises, especially for my kids as it's easier than having a very long lanyard hanging off of their necks.   For myself, I like to have a medallion holder that coordinates better with my evening wear.  (I don't dare open up a debate about dress code here!).  Happy cruising!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, memoak said:

I can’t stand lanyards or things hanging around my neck   You can just stick it in a pocket. The last thing I want to do in port is have stuff around my neck. That is a dead giveaway as a tourist and target

We also stash them in our pockets but you're only fooling yourself if you think they don't recognize you as being a "tourist". 😅 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

🤷‍♂️ My guess, people like to accessorize for individuality purposes. Kinda like when we go to buy a new car and throw in some options. 

On 9/11/2023 at 12:08 AM, Aussie lost in space said:

After much searching for a bracelet to hold my medallion, found this on Etsy (I too thought the prices for the bracelet and necklaces on board were a tad exorbitant and I didn't much care for the styles).  I'm more of a bracelet person.  Same size as an air tag holder, which matches the measurements for the medallion.  I certainly found a few on both Amazon and Etsy, so it is worth looking.  Someone on a YouTube review had purchased a very similar one and reported no problems on board regarding 'interference'.  I imagine, though I'm no techy, that if it doesn't interfere with an air tags function, then it shouldn't interfere with a medallion.  They both operate off wifi/internet.  I also purchased air tag type holders for DH.  Good luck.

Medallion holder.jpg

Did this actually work for you? I bought one and it did not fit the medallion. 

I ended up purchasing princess bracelet for pick up at the port and it worked out great.

On 9/14/2023 at 12:16 PM, donaldsc said:

DON

Yes...you're a guy!  DH uses the cheap plastic one they give you but I like a bit more Bling!
Next question!  LOL!

• Like 1

On 9/15/2023 at 6:50 AM, nattie said:

Did this actually work for you? I bought one and it did not fit the medallion. 

I ended up purchasing princess bracelet for pick up at the port and it worked out great.

There seem to be many floating lockets (bracelets, necklaces, brooches, key chains, fobs, watch attachments etc) on the market that are listed as 30mm, but it seems this is the outer diameter.  Don't be fooled.   

Prior to purchasing (though I'll precis this by saying it was the last one the seller had that had the 30mm inside diameter and a depth enough to hold an apple air tag...) I checked the measurements. Once I received it, I placed an airtag inside to check for fit, though it is snug, I can still close it and it fits appropriately.  Time will tell if the actual medallion will fit.  I have purchased back ups just in case.  And if all else fails, will consider splurging for the princess bracelet.   

I can recommend if buying off either Etsy or Amazon - ask the seller to check the inner diameter and depth.  As long as it (apparently) will hold and apple airtag, I believe, though am no expert, you'd be good to go.  

• Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 11:41 PM, rich_cathybrock said:

I have been scouring Amazon and Esty for an hour.  I love this pendant as it can be used without the medallion, too, however I see in a lot of the reviews that the medal interferes with the medallion.  Has anyone confirmed being able to use this onboard?

This looks exactly like what I got, and it worked perfectly.  I wore the Princess bracelet (like for a Fitbit) during the day and the pendant in the evenings. I put it directly on the chain, did not use the extra ring as that was too bulky.    No issues using the medallion anywhere that I recall. I got several compliments.  I now wear it as regular jewelry.

Edited by knbcruisers
Spelling
  • Like 1