Cheers and HMC

we3k9

To be specific, it is Holland America Cruise Line that owns Half Moon Cay, not Carnival Cruise Line.  But then, Carnival Corp. owns both lines.  Still to your point, I am reading that Holland America's drink package also does not work on the island (per my internet search).

1 hour ago, we3k9 said:

Oh my goodness I can’t believe that. The price of the cabana is outrageous and now the drinks we paid for aren’t included on carnivals own island 🙈

The reason given is that the island drinks are hand entered thus not logged in a timely manner.

I’m not gonna get the cheers package now. It’s not good on day one, sailing out of New York, not going to be on the ship for 3 days while in ports.  So why would I buy a 7 day package?   Makes no sense and would be a waste of money 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, we3k9 said:

I’m not gonna get the cheers package now. It’s not good on day one, sailing out of New York, not going to be on the ship for 3 days while in ports.  So why would I buy a 7 day package?   Makes no sense and would be a waste of money 

You don't pay for Day One out of NY.  

So they must not take your sail and sign card for payment. I’m guessing you have to pay cash.  Otherwise if they take your sign and sail there’s no reason cheer’s shouldn’t apply.  It’s on your card 

at the bar the waiter writes down your folio number on the piece of paper. then later in the day when everyone is back on the ship, the waiter or someone else enters everything in the onboard computer system where you are charged for the drinks 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, we3k9 said:

So they must not take your sail and sign card for payment. I’m guessing you have to pay cash.  Otherwise if they take your sign and sail there’s no reason cheer’s shouldn’t apply.  It’s on your card 

They write down your folio number.  Since the orders are not recorded until return to ship, one could use their CHEERS to purchase unlimited drinks for all their new friends.   While you can purchase more than the 15 drinks, you are less likely to do so for everyone.  

7 minutes ago, we3k9 said:

Cheers does not go into effect until day 2 when sailing from Galveston and NYC. They will just charge your room to the Credit Card you have on file when you set it up during the checkin process. They wont take cash unless it is for a tip.

Whether or not Cheers is worth it for you depends on a person by person basis. We always get it regardless of how many ports there are. A bloody mary or mimosa or two before you get off for the day, then a beer or 3 when you get back on, then a cocktail brfore dinner, a glass of wine or 2 with dinner and an after dinner cocktail can really add up fast. Not to mention coffee, water, gatorade, energy drinks, etc... So Cheers is worth it for us.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, we3k9 said:

Yes I know, our cruise is 8 days, that’s why I said pay for 7 

Ok. That wasnt too clear. Plus your comment about "there's no reason cheers shouldnt apply" was unclear to me. I see now you were referring to Cheers on HMC and not Cheers out of NYC.  Apologies.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, we3k9 said:

Oh my goodness I can’t believe that. The price of the cabana is outrageous and now the drinks we paid for aren’t included on carnivals own island 🙈

I agree the cost of the cabana is outrageous. We still book them when they are available, but the price has gotten pretty high. We normally take a small softsided cooler with us and and the days leading up to HMC, we grab extra beers, never had an issue getting them unopened and taking them ashore with us. Since the cabana has a fridge and they give you a container with ice, no problem keeping the cold. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, heatherbean said:

I agree the cost of the cabana is outrageous. We still book them when they are available, but the price has gotten pretty high. We normally take a small softsided cooler with us and and the days leading up to HMC, we grab extra beers, never had an issue getting them unopened and taking them ashore with us. Since the cabana has a fridge and they give you a container with ice, no problem keeping the cold. 

Yep, we've done the same and it works out well. Our stateroom attendant will even fill it up with ice for us. At one point, Carnival sold a nice soft sided cooler that we bought and it's been good for us. Only issue is we run out of beers too fast lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, heatherbean said:

14 minutes ago, cruiserbrianj said:

Yep, we've done the same and it works out well. Our stateroom attendant will even fill it up with ice for us. At one point, Carnival sold a nice soft sided cooler that we bought and it's been good for us. Only issue is we run out of beers too fast lol

Yeah things are starting to get out of control on this stuff.  Have you seen what Royal is charging for access to the water park on Coco Cay now? Upwards of $250 per person. For a family of 4 that is an extra $1,000 for something that you might get 5 hours use out of.

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, we3k9 said:

The "thatch roof huts" are cash only; all the other places do take your S&S card, but they hand write receipts which are later entered into the system. So there's no way for your drink package to be tracked while at HMC.

28 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

The "thatch roof huts" are cash only; all the other places do take your S&S card, but they hand write receipts which are later entered into the system. So there's no way for your drink package to be tracked while at HMC.

Certainly no incentive for Carnival Corp to upgrade their POS on HMC anytime soon..

• Like 1

12 hours ago, we3k9 said:

First of all, day one out of NYC you would not be paying for it.  And even if you have 3 port days, you're back on the ship by 5 and if you stay up till say 1100, that gives you 6 hours of drinking.  If you have 1 drink per hour, you're ahead of the game.  And if you bring a cooler with you, you get unopened beers the two days before HMC and keep them in your frig.  You then get ice and take them to HMC with you.  Problem solved.  So, in actuality, it's not a waste of money.

14 hours ago, stobe1 said:

Yeah things are starting to get out of control on this stuff.  Have you seen what Royal is charging for access to the water park on Coco Cay now? Upwards of $250 per person. For a family of 4 that is an extra $1,000 for something that you might get 5 hours use out of.

Whey did they increase the price for the Thrill Waterpark at CocoCay? We were just there in June and pretty sure we paid $85 to go to the waterpark. 

24 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

Whey did they increase the price for the Thrill Waterpark at CocoCay? We were just there in June and pretty sure we paid $85 to go to the waterpark. 

I can't say for sure but apparently the pricing varies by sailing and by ship. Which doesn't make sense to me why that would be the case but apparently it is.

1 minute ago, stobe1 said:

I can't say for sure but apparently the pricing varies by sailing and by ship. Which doesn't make sense to me why that would be the case but apparently it is.

The prices fluctuate almost daily with Royal, that's one thing I really dislike about them. Yes I like prices going down but I like when a price stays consistent. Maybe they jacked up the price when they started sending Celebrity cruises to CocoCay?