First Sea Lice, Now Hookworms

On 8/26/2023 at 7:48 AM, boscobeans said:

That was the main ingredient in the world famous FLIT GUN. It was actually DDT, which has been banned in the U.S.A. since 1972.

I grew up in Brooklyn and we all ran behind the sprayers with our friends, drenched in the stuff, LOVING EVERY MINUTE.

1950's ESSO Flit "Gun" Sprayer #138393 | Auctionninja.com

And now they think that some of the paralysis cases attributed to Polio were actually from DDT.   

One time we were in the DR, and we rode horses on the beach in the late evening (moonlight ride).  I would hate to be the person walking on the beach early next morning!

Many of the US beaches have strict laws against animals on the beaches, but I am not so sure that same level of care (and beach cleaning) is enforced in other countries.

I think those water shoes should be mandatory for certain beach locations!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LibertyBella said:

One time we were in the DR, and we rode horses on the beach in the late evening (moonlight ride).  I would hate to be the person walking on the beach early next morning!

Many of the US beaches have strict laws against animals on the beaches, but I am not so sure that same level of care (and beach cleaning) is enforced in other countries.

I think those water shoes should be mandatory for certain beach locations!

Carnival Corporation's Half Moon Cay, its private Bahamian island for Holland America and Carnival cruises, offers horseback ride excursions. While the rides on the beach are a bit distant from the area where passengers congregate on the provided loungers in the swimming area, a good number of passengers also wander the entire length of the beach, typically barefoot. I have, many times, and until this thread, never gave any thought to the possibility of hookworms. I've seen many road apples in the sand, maybe washed away at the next high tide.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Absolutely, I agree completely that there is still a possibility. I'm simply pointing out that the incident cited by the OP is not recent. Anyone weighing the potential risks should be made aware that this occurrence is over 5 years old, with no more current incidents having come to the attention of the international media.

Depends on what your definition of is .......  I mean "Recent" is.  I interpreted it to be recent because it is the most current news article on this type of issue.  The CDC has a few articles about it but they don't date them.  So, if information hasn't changed for decades the article is the most recent/current.  They do put the date of the update but that doesn't mean that the entire article changed or anything other than a fine detail may have changed.  

My mother grew up on a small chicken farm in Hayward, CA during the Depression.  No one had money for doctors, and she and her brother were exposed to just about every ugly thing you could get:  ringworm, hookworm, impetigo, getting sprayed by skunks, my Mom eating rat poison as a crawling infant.

My grandmother was born in 1883 on a farm in the Salinas Valley, Ca.  She knew every home remedy there was.  Kerosene was used to kill any kind of worm external infection.  I think she had some concoction for intestinal worms, too.  She force fed my mother a quart of mayonnaise to get her to barf up the rat poison, and also coat her esophagus and stomach.  She washed my uncle with kerosene when he was sprayed by a skunk, and shaved his head for a kerosene "shampoo".

They were lucky to survive the cures!!

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Depends on what your definition of is .......  I mean "Recent" is.  I interpreted it to be recent because it is the most current news article on this type of issue.  The CDC has a few articles about it but they don't date them.  So, if information hasn't changed for decades the article is the most recent/current.  They do put the date of the update but that doesn't mean that the entire article changed or anything other than a fine detail may have changed.  

I view "recent" and "most recent" as two very different things. The Tempest is generally accepted as being Shakespeare's last or "most recent" play. But it certainly isn't "recent" in my books, even if it hasn't changed since it was originally penned in the early 1600's. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on the definition of these two terms.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 4:32 PM, 2chiefs said:

Unintended consequences? I read somewhere that the ban on DDT (in many places besides the US) actually caused more deaths than the of lives it supposedly saved. Evidently the argument was that the amount of people that died from Malaria rose sharply after DDT was banned. 

First time I ever heard of DDT was watching a cartoon where someone was spraying DDT,, rotated the barrel so we could see that DDT stood for Drop Dead Twice. That was before 1972.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

I view "recent" and "most recent" as two very different things. The Tempest is generally accepted as being Shakespeare's last or "most recent" play. But it certainly isn't "recent" in my books, even if it hasn't changed since it was originally penned in the early 1600's. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on the definition of these two terms.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this because, to me, the "most recent, is recent if the information is valid and as timely as there is.  

Everyday, I learn something new about my life that makes me thankful for surviving all of my idiocy and bravado during my lifetime.

Today, I face the most challenging life danger both in the morning and evening. My drive to and from work.

It is o-dark-thirty in the morning, I am in a narrow construction lane on the far-right with concrete barriers 6 inches off of my passenger rear view mirror with no shoulder going over a small bridge. All of this occurring as a gasoline tanker is passing me at 70 mph in a 45 mph construction zone slowly drifting into my lane.

Makes those memories of following the mosquito foggers on a bicycle seem rather tame and enjoyable.

🫠

• Haha 1

Meanwhile several hundred people have fallen ill in Cali with mysterious rashes, fever after Tough Mudder event.  Health officials said participants may have staph or bacterial infections.

The Sonoma County Department of Health Services (SDHS) said it has received reports of rashes, fever, muscle pain, nausea and vomiting among those who participated in the event at the Sonoma Raceway, a car racetrack 30 miles north of San Francisco, on Aug. 19 and 20.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12445573/Mystery-outbreak-California-rashes-vomiting-Tough-Mudder.html

4 hours ago, jwlane said:

"Recent" news!  Polio outbreak on Hispaniola!  https://www3.paho.org/english/sha/be_v21n4-polio.htm

If that is the most recent article on the subject/issue, it is as recent as it can get.

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Meanwhile several hundred people have fallen ill in Cali with mysterious rashes, fever after Tough Mudder event.  Health officials said participants may have staph or bacterial infections.

The Sonoma County Department of Health Services (SDHS) said it has received reports of rashes, fever, muscle pain, nausea and vomiting among those who participated in the event at the Sonoma Raceway, a car racetrack 30 miles north of San Francisco, on Aug. 19 and 20.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12445573/Mystery-outbreak-California-rashes-vomiting-Tough-Mudder.html

My youngest daughter used to do "Mudders" in Indiana.  Glad she didn't get sick from it.

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1