August 19-26th Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Report

Ky Bill

This was our first cruise sailing from the Port of Miami.  We found the cruise terminal to be convenient, clean and plenty of room.  From the time we arrived at the terminal by Uber, checked in and completed our muster drill was exactly 10 minutes!  Wow does that beat the days of old.  We found GOS to be clean, well maintained with a friendly and helpful staff.  We had a Facebook meetup at the Schooner Bar at 3PM on boarding day and meet so many nice people.  The Grandeur isn't for everyone as it is smaller and without water parks, flumes or flow riders.  However many of us appreciate the older smaller ships.  Disembarkation was as quick and well orchestrated as embarkation.  We went through customs, recovered our luggage, caught an Uber and checked our luggage in with Delta at Tampa International and it was 8:20 AM.  I am including a photo of the Grandeur and the Allure while docked together, a noticeable difference.

Bill

369874705_10222390287136781_2369902643388339881_n.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Ky Bill said:

Miami

I presume you meant Tampa. Did you board at Terminal two? That was the old Carnival terminal that was completely re done. We are on Grandeur next Saturday, and would like to know how the food was in the WJ and MDR?

Edited by orville99

59 minutes ago, orville99 said:

I presume you meant Tampa. Did you board at Terminal two? That was the old Carnival terminal that was completely re done. We are on Grandeur next Saturday, and would like to know how the food was in the WJ and MDR?

Yes, I did mean Tampa.  Terminal Two was either new or like.  We found the food at WJ to be excellent with a good choice.  They also kept the selections hot and filled.  This was our first cruise for the new menu which I wasn't looking forward to.  However I found the new menu to be fine with enough choice for about everyone.  The food was good enough we opted not to go to any specialty restaurants this cruise except for the Chef's Table.  Enjoy your cruise I wish we were going to be there also.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

Did the a/c work well enough that you weren't uncomfortable? Thank you.

Luckily our cabin on the eight deck was plenty cool.  However the WJ was at the point of being uncomfortable especially during the noon day sun.  In conversation with the Hotel Director he shared that when the ship goes to dry dock next year the air conditioning system will get a new controller and compressors.  A couple we were traveling with who stayed on deck 3 complained of being uncomfortable with being warm.  Let's hope they fix it at dry dock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

Can you recall who your captain was? I try to keep my chart current,

Sorry we didn't meet the captain or go to any of the top tier events so I can honestly say I don't think I ever heard his/her name. Sorry.

3 hours ago, Ky Bill said:

This was our first cruise sailing from the Port of Miami.  We found the cruise terminal to be convenient, clean and plenty of room.  From the time we arrived at the terminal by Uber, checked in and completed our muster drill was exactly 10 minutes!  Wow does that beat the days of old.  We found GOS to be clean, well maintained with a friendly and helpful staff.  We had a Facebook meetup at the Schooner Bar at 3PM on boarding day and meet so many nice people.  The Grandeur isn't for everyone as it is smaller and without water parks, flumes or flow riders.  However many of us appreciate the older smaller ships.  Disembarkation was as quick and well orchestrated as embarkation.  We went through customs, recovered our luggage, caught an Uber and checked our luggage in with Delta at Tampa International and it was 8:20 AM.  I am including a photo of the Grandeur and the Allure while docked together, a noticeable difference.

Bill

I meant to say the Port of Tampa, I'm blaming the spell check.

28 minutes ago, buffet24 said:

Did you purchase the WiFi package?  If so, how was the WiFi service on GOS?

Wifi on Grandeur last winter was pretty bad. Had to roam the ship looking for decent reception, usually near the centrum or toward the back near the diamond lounge.

That said, we loved the ship overall and will be there for 10 nights next winter.  You can step on an elevator without waiting 10 minutes or packing in with 10 people.  Windjammer isn't packed and chaotic.   Deck chairs are available.  We got on Symphony after Grandeur:  Windjammer packed beyond belief, elevators a nightmare all day and all night, people laying on the floor on upper decks because loungers full at 7AM.  We'll never do Oasis class and larger again.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, buffet24 said:

Did you purchase the WiFi package?  If so, how was the WiFi service on GOS?

The WiFi is poor when it works which isn't often.  Sorry I don't have a better report.  I mentioned it on my survey.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, schlimazel_traveler said:

I miss the Grandeur. Wish Royal would bring Lady G back to Baltimore. You'd think Vision would be the same but it's just not. Especially the food.

I wish they would rotate ships in Baltimore also as it's probably the only cruise port I can drive to and sail.  We sailed from Baltimore several times on board the Enchantment when she was there several years ago.  

Bill

The photo is funny - we are on the Allure right now and just booked the Grandeur for the repositioning in August.  Note to self - skip the Wi-Fi - which we are enjoying on the Allure 🙂

We had been looking up the size to compare them.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 10:30 AM, Ky Bill said:

Bill

Looks like a Lifeboat next to her. I first went on Grandeur 26yrs ago it was one Largest. One my Favorites is Titanic in front of Oasis Class. Just 3 Decades ago Passengers on most existing Cruise ships would only need 1-3 Oasis Class Lifeboats

• Like 2

12 hours ago, KROX said:

The photo is funny - we are on the Allure right now and just booked the Grandeur for the repositioning in August.  Note to self - skip the Wi-Fi - which we are enjoying on the Allure 🙂

We had been looking up the size to compare them.

Would that be the repo from Tampa to Boston in AUG 2024?

39 minutes ago, buffet24 said:

Would that be the repo from Tampa to Boston in AUG 2024?

Yes - We like the route.  My first cruise was to Bermuda in 1980 with my parents on the SS Statendam (1956 version!) and I’m excited to go back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KROX said:

Yes - We like the route.  My first cruise was to Bermuda in 1980 with my parents on the SS Statendam (1956 version!) and I’m excited to go back.

Awesome!!!   We'll be on it too!!!  😁   We live in Boston so we'll fly down to Tampa and then sail our way back to Boston.  We love and have done big ships in the past (Allure/Freedom/Liberty/Breakaway, etc) but we'll plan to make this one a very lazy, relaxing, do nothing but eat and sleep cruise... and may be some work here and there... 😜

Does anyone know when the drydock is scheduled for Grandeur?  I heard next year some time... Hoping it will be before the Repo...🤷‍♀️

9 hours ago, nimbex1970 said:

Oh I loved the Grandeur!  The schooner bar was my favorite.  Such a lovely basic ship experience.  

First time on Grandeur was last winter, great time and nice ship.  Doing another 10 nights on her in January.

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

The ship was upgraded to Starlink in the spring and if you have connections to a access point, it should be much better than the previous system. 

Unfortunately when the ship was upgraded to Starlink the router and internals were not upgraded.  The hotel director said the router and internals will be upgraded during next year's dry dock.

Bill

• Like 1