Cruising with my family, but possibly being the ONLY one in my stateroom

beshears

This may seem a little strange, but I thought I would ask anyway. I am over 65 and my 3 sons/wives are cruising with me too. I have done many cruises, normally with a friend, and just the two of us. While doing many cruises, I have met ladies normally a little younger cruising on their own. If you are around 65 or older, have you ever cruised on your own or even with family, and give me YOUR pros/cons of what you might do on the ship? I know I will be fine with my family, but I have always had someone else in the room with me, and NO I am not scared, but I just feel like I might be the extra wheel when they want to do something, although I know they would NOT make me feel this way.

• Like 2

It might help if you were to share what the itinerary is you're considering...but in general, there will be LOTS of activities on board that cater to many different ages and tastes.  You didn't mention anything about excursions...presumably you would be doing excursions with your family but not necessarily.  The ship staff will take good care of you and make sure you get back to the ship safely.  Cruising with a group is MUCH more fun than cruising alone, although in all honesty I cannot claim that I have cruised alone.  I have always been with my DW but for the times that other couples have been with us it just seems to "magnify the fun" with more people.

I come from a cruising family, and we have been on multiple cruises (diverse lines), with multiple generations and family configurations.

When one of the cruisers is a parent without a partner, we the children and grandchildren try to semi-coordinate daytime activities together. On sea days, we might meet for breakfast with him/her, go to an arts and crafts event, or the art auction, etc.  We almost always try to eat together at dinner, but sometimes the couples might want to try a specialty restaurant and rotate turns with the parent choosing to either go to the specialty or the regular with rest of the group.

On shore days, depending on the fitness of the parent, and if he/she wants to even get off, if there is an easy excursion (glass bottom boat), one person might go with the parent, while others go off and do something more athletic (bike ride). It does help to review the excursions list in advance of the cruise and discuss some options.

The great thing about most cruises is that they are very relaxing, and it is quite easy to talk to others and make friends.  Sometimes the ships even offer special events for singles.  There are always activities like card games, or trivia, or bingo, where you can just attend without knowing anyone and start a conversation. 

I cruised by myself several times when I was in my very young twenties, and I went to the nightclub, and met a lot of new friends that way!  Even sitting at a bar will probably allow you to talk with others. Have a GREAT time, and do not worry!

I was suppose to be on a cruise with my 2 sisters.  They had to cancel. After being on a 15 day cruise with a friend, this solo b2b was just what I needed.  I enjoyed the quiet time to myself.  I actually met a really nice lady who also was traveling by herself (husband cancelled days before embarkation).  We hit is off well and enjoyed spending some time together.  You will meet others and enjoy family time.  But your stateroom will be your quiet haven...unless you have a better stateroom and everyone wants to hang out with you there.

• Like 5

Thank you everyone for your input so far. Yes as was said, I think my room will be the QUIET place, and that will be a little different for me, if I don't wind up with someone in my room. As was suggested, there may be different games, etc. going on where just one person didn't want to be with family (if they were with family), and could go to one of these events. Someone ask where we were going and it is to Roan tan, Belize and Cozumel, as I being from Missouri (COLD winters), I want to go to some place warm in February. 🙂

• Like 1

@beshearsMy husband passed away 4+ years ago.  Since then, I have cruised with my son and his girlfriend and my grandson and his wife.  I always have my own cabin.  With my son, he and his girlfriend do not do any shows other than a comedian and I like all the shows.  So I just tell them that I am going to the evening show and they are welcome to come with me but if they don't, we plan to meet up somewhere after the show.  Also, I am just short of 76 and even though I am very active, there are some excursions that have maximum age limits so I cannot participate, such as the ATV excursions.  So I just tell them to go ahead and enjoy themselves and I will either stay on the ship and enjoy the pool etc. or I will find an excursion that I like and I do that by myself.  It works out just fine.  Also, with the Princess app having the tracking feature (if it works for you, which it has for me) we can track each other and meet up that way.  Like others have said, nice quiet cabin, solo bathroom but family when you want to do things together.  The best of both worlds.  Now if those single supplements were just lower!

• Like 2

I have cruised with many different configurations of family and friends.  None have been "glued at the hip" pairs, so we mix and match activities according to interests, and generally all have dinner together. 

• Like 1

I'm 61 and frequently cruise w/ my DH and DS but even then there are certain activities I do by myself, such as Chef's Table, and certain things DH does on his own, like scuba diving.  I've also saided w/ a friend, each in our own cabin and occasionally meeting up but not joined at the hip.   I've also done several solos and those are great as well.  You can do whatever, whenever you want, and be as social as you're comfortable being.  

• Like 2

DavidsNana,Don'swife andEdspec, thank you ALL for your feedback on my question. I will confess, I am 80 years old, but most people think I look/act like I am about 10 years younger, and what has been posted has just encouraged me more to do it on my own with my 3 sons/wives.

• Like 3

I have cruised solo with my sisters & brother in laws.  We agree on a time and meet up to eat dinner together and see the show with whoever wants to see it.  They swim/snorkel and I don’t so I take a Princess excursion.  We may meet up for a daytime activity or we may not see each other until dinner.  We each do our thing.

• Like 1

When I travellled with my brother and his wife I had my own room.  I had a balcony and they had an 8n side.  I was able to give them access to my room so they could use the balcony when I was not there.  You may want to give at least one of your sons access to your room, I am thinking if you forget your medallion and need to get back in they can run down for you, same if you need a sweater or someth8ng from the cabin, they can stop and get it for you, or even just for safety reasons if you were to fall or need assistance.  It didn’t take long to set up through customer service and they did not have any charging capabilities.