Alcohol question

FeelingCruisy

2 hours ago, Pandazoo said:

@LHT28Have been on Regatta to Alaska 2022 and Riviera to Caribbean 2021.  FYI I always seem to get stopped with cheese and whatnot by TSA too.  

The TSA does not enforce agricultural import restrictions. They will have you dispose of liquids and other items that will (or may) pose a potential danger to the plane and/or its crew and passengers. That agriculture enforcement would be handled by other authorities such as state or federal departments of agriculture or associated border agencies.

@Basor yes they held rum from a Caribbean cruise.  Now I bring the bubble wraps for transporting liquor home.

@LHT28Have been on Regatta to Alaska 2022 and Riviera to Caribbean 2021.  FYI I always seem to get stopped with cheese and whatnot by TSA too.  

I’m on Regatta to Alaska right now. Did you see my pic of nine bottles in my initial stash? In a few days I’ll be sharing one special bottle at dinner with the GM. I’ll be sure to ask him if it’s OK before the wine steward opens it.

04E91086-B31B-4E99-9558-9BD7CA7EB43C.jpeg

6 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Also, see the pic of our current cruise’s embark stock (sorry for upside down pic).

D25BB76D-16E5-445C-A2A3-191707EBCD44.jpeg

Curious - which Belle Glos is it? Thought we'd had them all, but the name looks different and  I can't read the label even when blown way up. Sorry for thread sidetrack ... 🍺🥌

@Flatbush FlyerMy cheeses were pulled aside and wiped down…so much for agricultural. This was a inside the US flight not international where it would have been confiscated.

You really can’t speak for alcohol being confiscated or not as I have had my rum taken and held till the end of my cruise.  My general point is what the ticket contract says now and the possibility that things may be changing.

Hey @Pandazoo could you share which ship and port O collected your alcohol to hold? We're headed back to the Carribean on O in December and would love your insight! 

On our 4 Carribean heavy O cruises so far we've purchased alcohol on each one with nothing collected. 3 of 4 post-covid O segments we have brought spirits and wine onboard with nothing collected but none of that has been in the Carribean... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pandazoo said:

@Flatbush FlyerMy cheeses were pulled aside and wiped down…so much for agricultural. This was a inside the US flight not international where it would have been confiscated.

You really can’t speak for alcohol being confiscated or not as I have had my rum taken and held till the end of my cruise.  My general point is what the ticket contract says now and the possibility that things may be changing.

The TSA did not confiscate your cheese. They merely tested it for drugs as they randomly do for all sorts of stuff.

And it’s still an agricultural inspector (or similar authority) who might take it away if it violates a restrictive policy. Plus, it doesn’t have to be an international flight. Ever been to Hawaii?

And still, the fact remains that Oceania does not confiscate or hold personal legal alcohol. So, I again direct your attention to the picture posted above with 9 wine bottles sitting in our cabin on my current Alaska cruise as well as the pic of the onboard Currents reminder about consumption of the alcohol you bring onboard AND the quote from the O website FAQs telling you to enjoy your personal booze but comply with the policy’s dictates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, babysteps said:

Hey @Pandazoo could you share which ship and port O collected your alcohol to hold? We're headed back to the Carribean on O in December and would love your insight! 

On our 4 Carribean heavy O cruises so far we've purchased alcohol on each one with nothing collected. 3 of 4 post-covid O segments we have brought spirits and wine onboard with nothing collected but none of that has been in the Carribean... 

Have you not read the other posts and seen the actual proof in this thread that O does not confiscate booze?

As I type this I look at my collection of Eastern Caribbean overproof rums I gathered at ports off Sirena (11/2022). I brought beer, hard liquor and wine on board at embarkation. And pretty much purchased beer and rum at every port during the cruise. No one said anything. No confiscation. And next to that rum sits the cana, rum and tequila I brought back from Riviera in 12/2021 from the Western Caribbean (e.g., Belizean rum). Again, purchased beer, hard liquor and wine at every port and brought it back on no questions asked.

Of course, I ONLY drank my own beer and hard liquor in my cabin. (The concierge in the concierge lounge and I did some research on Mexican wine, which helped me find something decent in Costa Maya.)

Edited by MEFIowa
Added a clarifying comment
  • Like 1

This whole alleged confiscation seems so out of the norm. Perhaps it really did happen and the Oceania person made the decision to confiscate the rum for a valid reason…….🥴 since nothing else makes sense. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Once again…Riviera after Cozumel 2021.  Once again I am saying the new ticket contract I received for Vista end of the year cruise has omitted the wine and says they may hold what is purchased in port.  Was just wondering if this is another change coming with Simply More.  

1 hour ago, Pandazoo said:

Once again…Riviera after Cozumel 2021.  Once again I am saying the new ticket contract I received for Vista end of the year cruise has omitted the wine and says they may hold what is purchased in port.  Was just wondering if this is another change coming with Simply More.  

I realize this is an exercise in futility, but that ticket contract has always said they may hold it. Specific wording or numbers may have changed over the years, but it's never said it's ok to do it. BUT, in the 14 years I've been reading the Oceania board you are the first to say it was confiscated. Meanwhile many of Oceania regulars, myself included, has brought on hard liquor on pretty much every cruise they've been on with Oceania. Not saying it didn't happen to you, but it's never been the norm. Maybe you were observed pouring outside of your stateroom, or perhaps your file mentioned excessive drinking. Who knows. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Being new to Oceania . After reading the above. I can say the following

1. Wine can be brought onto the ship. 6 bottles at a time. Any most ports allow. 

2. Wine can be consumed in our cabin, OK to walk around with that glass of wine as long as the original bottle is in the room. Why I would do that is beyond I. 

3. The bottle of Gin for those G&T's is also coming onboard, no issue. We can enjoy those G&T's on our balcony. 

Did I miss something? 

We have traveled the world, with you name the cruise line. The one for O is NZ to Singapore, a last bucket list item. Only one other has a similar arrangement. That was long ago , well before the C. 

4 minutes ago, Ray4Fun said:

1. Wine can be brought onto the ship. 6 bottles at a time. Any most ports allow. 

2. Wine can be consumed in our cabin, OK to walk around with that glass of wine as long as the original bottle is in the room. Why I would do that is beyond I. 

3. The bottle of Gin for those G&T's is also coming onboard, no issue. We can enjoy those G&T's on our balcony. 

Did I miss something? 

We have traveled the world, with you name the cruise line. The one for O is NZ to Singapore, a last bucket list item. Only one other has a similar arrangement. That was long ago , well before the C. 

Correction for #1 -All the wine you want can be brought on anytime for consumption in your cabin - for a long cruise we bring on a case at embarkation

Correction for #2 - no, consumption is in room only, not walking around with glass.  You can take the bottle of wine to a dining room and pay the $25.00 corkage fee to enjoy with your meal,

#3 correct - and your butler/room steward will be happy to provide all of the necessary components to make your G and T (except the G)!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ray4Fun said:

Did I miss something? 

1.  The 6-bottle limit is not enforced unless you misbehave.

2. It's NOT OK to walk around with wine from your personal stash.  It is for consumption in your stateroom only.  See post #12, above.

3.  You are not limited to 1 bottle of gin, or any other spirits..

4. You can take these items onboard at any port, if the country doesn't forbid it.

1 hour ago, Ray4Fun said:

Did I miss something? 

Walking around with a glass of personal wine? Not ok w/o paying the corkage for that bottle. Read the O web FAQs: “ANY wine.”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, basor said:

Correction for #1 -All the wine you want can be brought on anytime for consumption in your cabin - for a long cruise we bring on a case at embarkation

Correction for #2 - no, consumption is in room only, not walking around with glass.  You can take the bottle of wine to a dining room and pay the $25.00 corkage fee to enjoy with your meal,

#3 correct - and your butler/room steward will be happy to provide all of the necessary components to make your G and T (except the G)!

Thank you,,,:)

11 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Have you not read the other posts and seen the actual proof in this thread that O does not confiscate booze?

Oh I know that O does not confiscate booze, we regularly bring on an entire case of wine to begin and random spirits as we go along. I was just trying to see if there was an actual exception to what we all know is standard practice, or if this was a mis-remembering from a different cruise line.

Apparently Cozumel is the culprit lol - I can attest that we brought back a few bottles of tequila and perhaps one other kind of spirit at Cozumel on two separate O cruises with no "collection" issues.

23 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Curious - which Belle Glos is it? Thought we'd had them all, but the name looks different and  I can't read the label even when blown way up. Sorry for thread sidetrack ... 🍺🥌

“Dairyman”   Russian River 2021. One of my favorite “daily drinker” NorCal Pinot Noirs

18 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

“Dairyman”   Russian River 2021. One of my favorite “daily drinker” NorCal Pinot Noirs

Thank you. Interesting how the picture disguised the name. I agree with your sentiments - sadly, our last bottle is history, so we're 'stuck' with the Clark & T or Eulenloch until the next allotment of D or Las Alturas makes its way across the border. 🍺🥌

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

Thank you. Interesting how the picture disguised the name. I agree with your sentiments - sadly, our last bottle is history, so we're 'stuck' with the Clark & T or Eulenloch until the next allotment of D or Las Alturas makes its way across the border. 🍺🥌

In the meantime, look into any of the entire line of Martin Ray (in Santa Rosa - Sonoma County) and Navarro (in Phylo - Mendocino County).

• Thanks 1