Jim_Iain - First Non-Celebrity Cruise in 22 year - Ponant vs Celebrity Comparison

Jim_Iain

13 minutes ago, maggie.1008 said:

I am enjoying following along. All new experiences for you. 

Is it easy to get a table for two? 
we are thinking about booking Explora Journeys next year. They just started cruising and the reviews are not good, hopefully they will improve. 
Cheers, Heather 

I wouldn't say easy.   Especially on Gala Night.     We do eat late and when we arrived they sat us alone at a table of 8.   The Restaurant Manager came over an apologized and said he would reserve a table for us for tonight. 

We met a nice couple and they have invited us to dine with them tonight.   I think we will be dining alfresco at the alternative dining.    Both serve almost the same menu.

but the one adjacent to the pool is very casual.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, hcat said:

great photos of the hike..I'd be out at the first stairway...loved the large mushroom!

I like  level ground..the Pools and Falls hike on Domenica convinced me the "chutes and ladders" were no longer for me!

As you know I take to the challenge.   My favorite was climbing to the top of the falls in Iceland.    What a thrill. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

The wines are listed on the Dinner Menus -  

They have a Red, White and Rose as well as Champagne.  They often have 2 Red's and 2 Whites.   I have to see if they are the same or not.   As a non-drinker I haven't rally looked.

IMG_6944.thumb.jpeg.d30ccdca2484e7404e1a251e6bc1d902.jpeg

Jim, do they have the non-alcoholic wines and champagne that Celebrity does?

Love your pictures of your hike today . Reminds me of Northern MN . That staircase is similar to one I went down with a Duluth pack on my back and we slid our canoes down the steps . We were portaging in the BWCA in MN  . I was in my 40’s at the time . One and only wilderness  trip of a lifetime . Love your trip report as always .

• Like 1

Thank-you so much Jim for your efforts in posting this detailed review and pictures. It's always sooo interesting to follow you and to read about your adventures!!! 

This must explain why, your thread is already on page 30!!!

Question regarding the menu ( I apologize, if I missed the information before), the pictures of the menu posted before, seem to show, multi course meals, but with only one "regular diet" menu and the other one being, I believe a vegetarian menu.

By the way, the pictures of the food were really enticing!

But, comparing Celebrity to Ponant, am I correct to understand that the number of options to choose from on the menu are more limited on Ponant then Celebrity? 

If so, what other options would you have, for example if on one given night, neither the "regular" nor the "vegetarian" menu would appeal to you? 

p.s. Enjoy your trip! 

Demographics-

I asked one of the agents last evening.  We have about 150 guests aboard, 45 Francophile a couple German and the remainder Anglophile. 

70% 65 and above.

20% 55 to 65

8%.   40-55

possibly one or 2 in late 30’s-40

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Azulann said:

Love your pictures of your hike today . Reminds me of Northern MN . That staircase is similar to one I went down with a Duluth pack on my back and we slid our canoes down the steps . We were portaging in the BWCA in MN  . I was in my 40’s at the time . One and only wilderness  trip of a lifetime . Love your trip report as always .

I have to say this area is unique in our cruise experience and really enjoying 

Only a couple trees are showing color.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Jim, do they have the non-alcoholic wines and champagne that Celebrity does?

Linda,

They DO NOT have any Non-Alcoholic Wines or Champagne.    They usually have NA Beer but they are out of it on this cruise.   Hmmm.

9 hours ago, cachouonacruise said:

Thank-you so much Jim for your efforts in posting this detailed review and pictures. It's always sooo interesting to follow you and to read about your adventures!!! 

This must explain why, your thread is already on page 30!!!

Question regarding the menu ( I apologize, if I missed the information before), the pictures of the menu posted before, seem to show, multi course meals, but with only one "regular diet" menu and the other one being, I believe a vegetarian menu.

By the way, the pictures of the food were really enticing!

But, comparing Celebrity to Ponant, am I correct to understand that the number of options to choose from on the menu are more limited on Ponant then Celebrity? 

If so, what other options would you have, for example if on one given night, neither the "regular" nor the "vegetarian" menu would appeal to you? 

p.s. Enjoy your trip! 

Unlike Celebrity the Chef and other crew are very visible and engaging.   The chef often engages during the day.    If you have special dietary requirements just let him know and he will accommodate.

The menu has less selection than Celebrity but have not had a problem finding something we enjoy.   They have a Salad Bar, Antipasto Buffet, Delicious Cheeses and Desert Bar in addition to the menu.    They also offer almost the same menu on the pool deck for outdoor dining.  

I forgot to take  pictures last night as we were eating with newly found friends at the pool last night.   They had a nice Sea Bass,  Rib Eye Steak, Hamburger and Loin of Venison at the carving station.    The Venison was our choice and it was delicious

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Butlers -   Ponant is similar to Celebrity.   Even though everyone basically have the same dining (similar to Celebrity before Aqua and Luminae) only the Upper Suites get Butler Service.

From our standpoint we have had no need for a butler and our stateroom attendant takes care of our every need.     We are nestled between two upper suites and they have 1 butler for all the upper suites.   

• Like 1

Now something different.  Went to the lobby bathroom.  They have both men’s and women’s toilets stalls in the same room. 

Reminds me of our office in Amsterdam.  When using the facilities I noticed high heels in next booth. 

IMG_7017.thumb.jpeg.3605405c5e68c2f20fd7f786cadaafbf.jpeg

IMG_7018.thumb.jpeg.9148ee79f993f4f1f6c72e114ce50ebc.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 9

49 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Disappointing.  So we get to pay for everyone else to drink but we don't get anything.  Not impressed.

I agree. That's neither appropriate nor fair. 

I'd agree anyway, but I may be switching to non-alcoholic wine (if any) and I would like to have the option. Do you have any non-alcoholic wines you recommend on Celebrity? I've never tried any.

2 hours ago, MamaFej said:

I agree. That's neither appropriate nor fair. 

I'd agree anyway, but I may be switching to non-alcoholic wine (if any) and I would like to have the option. Do you have any non-alcoholic wines you recommend on Celebrity? I've never tried any.

On Celebrity they have Fre by Sutter Home.   I personally like the Red and Rose but not fond of the White (too sweet) and Bubbly (leaves a strange taste on your pallet).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pretty princess said:

Jim, enjoying following along!  I’ve enjoyed all your adventures. I too am a loyal Celebrity cruiser and considering venturing to the another line. I live on the Great Lakes (Cleveland, OH) and do see cruises ships here now. Very cool!  Enjoy your new adventure, it is beautiful!

I was reading that the Great Lakes is the newest cruise destination.   Last year they had 45 cruises and this year it doubled to 96.     We are really enjoying getting to know this area of the US/Canada.   

• Like 7