450% fare for solo--any way around?

rj59

I noticed on several Celebrity cruises that instead of a 200% charge for a solo, that the solo rate is 450% or higher. For instance, a November 6-nt to Mexico is $300 per person for an inside, but a solo inside is $1400. I see it on several Celebrity and RC cruises I look at, so I can only imagine they want to discourage me from going, since they have confidence the room will be booked by a couple. Has anyone tried booking a phantom roommate, paid the usual charge and port fees for two people, and had a no-show for the second person? I presume the second person's port fees would be refunded? Will they ban me from the cruise, like the people who get caught skiplagging flights? I know Jason Liberty keeps saying he wants to make cruises more comparable in price to land resorts, but I just looked at an all-inclusive in Cabo, and the price is the same for a single, and they even have cheaper single rooms. 

I just booked a 6 night Cabo cruise as a solo traveler - my agent booked it as a guarantee for 2 people and then called Celebrity to drop the 2nd person immediately.  That got me the normal non inflated price.  I paid a 200% supplement which I am fine with but I refuse to pay cruise supplements over 200%.  I didn't have to lay out the 2nd persons taxes either or have a "no show".

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, smokey7722 said:

I just booked a 6 night Cabo cruise as a solo traveler - my agent booked it as a guarantee for 2 people and then called Celebrity to drop the 2nd person immediately.  That got me the normal non inflated price.  I paid a 200% supplement which I am fine with but I refuse to pay cruise supplements over 200%.  I didn't have to lay out the 2nd persons taxes either or have a "no show".

Personally I would never pay more than a 100%supplement because that would make the fare 200%. Sorry, just one of my pet peeves. A supplement is an amount in addition to the original.😁

• Like 4

Just now, RTShaker said:

Personally I would never pay more than a 100%supplement because that would make the fare 200%. Sorry, just one of my pet peeves. A supplement is an amount in addition to the original.😁

Sorry I guess I mistook the verbiage... 100% supplement, I will pay double the price as if I am 2 people.  I won't pay more than that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wanderlust58 said:

On selected sailings, Azamara charges singles 1 1/2 times the first person rate.  I haven't sailed as a single, but as a couple we have enjoyed the service and food very much.

I have seen similar deals on Regent and Crystal. 

6 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

I thought celebrity would be my preferred cruise line but they are loosing me. Hopefully NCL meets my expectations. My next cruise has no singles supplement at all and lots of perks.

I agree, I have done a lot of RCL cruises but was hoping to test Celebrity this December to make the move.  I don't go solo often but I won't pay the crazy prices to go solo.

2 minutes ago, smokey7722 said:

I agree, I have done a lot of RCL cruises but was hoping to test Celebrity this December to make the move.  I don't go solo often but I won't pay the crazy prices to go solo.

I only cruise solo. I will pay 200 percent but no more.

I guess I will need to go the stealth cruiser route if they charge more than 200 percent 

• Like 4

Just now, basenji56 said:

I only cruise solo. I will pay 200 percent but no more.

I guess I will need to go the stealth cruiser route if they charge more than 200 percent 

I haven't cruised solo in years so this one I booked is my first in a long time.  I've paid 2x on RCL a few times when solo and will tolerate that but won't go more.  I was shocked when I started looking into Celebrity and the nonsense they pull with cabins and various packages with the pricing for solo's.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, smokey7722 said:

My biggest issue with the pricing scheme is that as a solo I could never buy the All Included because their system charges the full supplement on that as well. Double tips, double drinks and double wifi costs. It was always cheaper to pays as you go.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

My biggest issue with the pricing scheme is that as a solo I could never buy the All Included because their system charges the full supplement on that as well. Double tips, double drinks and double wifi costs. It was always cheaper to pays as you go.

Yup.  Thats what I was referring to.  Various package prices for anything are doubled for solo's and it's a huge slap in the face to the solo traveler.  It's one of the big strikes against Celebrity as I look to leave RCL being my primary line.

Edited by smokey7722

7 minutes ago, smokey7722 said:

Yup.  Thats what I was referring to.  Various package prices for anything are doubled for solo's and it's a huge slap in the face to the solo traveler.  It's one of the big strikes against Celebrity as I look to leave RCL being my primary line.

I saw another thread where a solo said they couldn’t even book a solo cabin on MSC—-the cruise showed as sold out until they added a second person. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

I saw another thread where a solo said they couldn’t even book a solo cabin on MSC—-the cruise showed as sold out until they added a second person. 

That might have been me.  But that has also happened to me when researching Celebrity.  EM

4 hours ago, RTShaker said:

A Celebrity thread outlined all of the changes coming in October, most all negative.  As I am a solo traveler as well, one positive is that a booking made after the October change date as a solo, AI is no longer double charged.  Yay!

• Like 5

While I do love to cruise, I refuse to even pay most any solo supplement. I just wait for the sales that do not have a solo supplement. Yes, they are few and far between, but I can deal with that...especially since I usually have my DW going with me. It just seems that,at times, a cruise (with no supplement) will pop up with an itinerary that she just isn't interested in...and those are the ones I book... 

• Haha 2

As a solo traveller -to be completely honest - I was sceptical of the original post. To my complete shock and horror, I priced one of the 6 day November Mexican sailings and it was not 450% but 556%. Thank you - but definitely no thank you Celebrity.

• Like 2

It sees to be very random. Just priced a ten day Caribbean cruise. At double occupancy the price (before taxes and fees) is $799 per person - $1600 for the cabin. Change it to single, as the per cabin cost jumps to $2142 (before taxes and fees).

• Like 1

I believe what you may be seeing is all related to GTY pricing.  I believe GTY pricing is only available for double occupancy.   People were recently complaining about the difference between cruise only price and AI.  Turns out it was because of the restrictions on GTY rates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I believe what you may be seeing is all related to GTY pricing.  I believe GTY pricing is only available for double occupancy.   People were recently complaining about the difference between cruise only price and AI.  Turns out it was because of the restrictions on GTY rates.

On the website its GTY is only available for double but if you call a TA or Celebrity, they can book the GTY rate as a single.  I just did it for an upcoming booking. 

This does NOT apply to AI additions from my understanding though at the moment, just the cabin.

Edited by smokey7722
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Going solo for the first time on a 5 day in Nov.  I booked it at the very right time so not quibbling over my fare.  But, as I watch the pricing I notice that Solo cruisers are not offered the Guarantee rate when available.  Right now on my cruise a couple would pay $700 plus fees for an OV, a solo would pay $1100, nearly 300% of the PP charge for 2. 

Other than increased head count and on board charges they might collect why do you think they don't open up the guarantee rate?   There are plenty of cabins.