Which NCL ship (only experience with HAL Rotterdam)?

sofienummer

Hi everyone,

Last year I finally went on my first solo cruise! I was supposed to go in 2017 on the Norwegian Epic, but because of health issues I unfortunately couldn't go. 

I think the main reason I chose Norwegian Epic last time was because back then it was one of the first cruise ships that accommodated for Solo travelers. It was a Mediterranean cruise, but I’m personally more interested in Northern countries.

So, last year I finally booked my first cruise to Norway! I went on the Rotterdam of Holland America Line; their newest Rotterdam ship. I had a balcony cabin and just an amazing experience. I loved to see Norway and I loved the whole atmosphere on HAL. I’ve met some great people, enjoyed classical music, quizzes, dancing, and other fun activities.

I was one of the youngest (33 years old), but did feel very welcomed and safe :) I’m not a big partier/drinker, but I do enjoy all kinds of fun activities!

Anyways, I’ve always wanted to go with NCL because I liked the idea of a cruise that’s less ‘strict and formal’, suited for many ages, have many activities and shows. But I wonder if someone who has been with both cruise lines can tell me a bit about the (dis)advantages of cruising with NCL after HAL.

On the HAL, I loved the classical music every night, the beautiful BBC Earth documentaries, the cleanliness/new feeling of the ship, the design, the whole atmosphere. It never felt too crowded, I could enjoy my time in peace!

I worry that NCL does not offer some of these things I really like.

The things I missed on the other hand: although I felt welcomed, it did feel a little out of place at times and I missed something like a circus? show, more game-related stuff, etc.

Now my other problem, should I go on an older NCL ship (Star or Dawn) and have an itinerary I like more. Or should I go on a relatively newer ship (Getaway) so I have a newer ship with more activities onboard, but have an itinerary I like a little less?

Last year, it was my first time being in Norway, but also the first time (technically second, but I don’t remember much since I was very young) I went on a cruise. I did A LOT. I didn’t want to miss out anything, felt like I needed to make the most out of it. This time I want to have a more relaxed time.

Long story short (sorry if this is long and possibly incoherent), what would you recommend/can you give me some information? I believe NCL is a more budget-friendly cruise line, so I wonder how much that would affect my experience after HAL. And if you do recommend NCL, would you recommend a newer or older ship?

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and opinions,

Sophie

• Like 1

I can't speak to the advantages/disadvantages of HAL vs NCL, but after 7 cruises I can truly say I book for the itinerary and ship/line/amenities is second.  My sister and I will be on the Viva in March '25 and while I get to cruise out of my favorite port, I also get to experience 4 new ports on a very port intensive cruise (7 ports in 7 days).

The Viva is brand new. I'm excited about that, but I'm also hoping that we won't be cruising with a bunch of families...we're all in our 60s and just enjoying our empty nests before grandkids start coming. 🙂  Just couldn't beat the itinerary though, so we'll make the best of it.

I agree the itinerary is much more important than the ship.

I have been on The Getaway and The Dawn.  Both are great ships with wonderful staff.  The Getaway does have Studio cabins that are meant for one person.  I have sailed in a Studio a number of times and love it.

Whatever ship and itinerary you choose, relax and enjoy

• Like 1

11 hours ago, olemissreb said:

I can't speak to the advantages/disadvantages of HAL vs NCL, but after 7 cruises I can truly say I book for the itinerary and ship/line/amenities is second.  My sister and I will be on the Viva in March '25 and while I get to cruise out of my favorite port, I also get to experience 4 new ports on a very port intensive cruise (7 ports in 7 days).

The Viva is brand new. I'm excited about that, but I'm also hoping that we won't be cruising with a bunch of families...we're all in our 60s and just enjoying our empty nests before grandkids start coming. 🙂  Just couldn't beat the itinerary though, so we'll make the best of it.

Thank you for your response! And it's good to know that many choose the itinerary first. That's why last year the HAL was so perfect: a new ship + an itinerary I've always wanted to see!

How lovely that you are going together with your sister. I hope you have an amazing time 🙂 

9 hours ago, www3traveler said:

I agree the itinerary is much more important than the ship.

I have been on The Getaway and The Dawn.  Both are great ships with wonderful staff.  The Getaway does have Studio cabins that are meant for one person.  I have sailed in a Studio a number of times and love it.

Whatever ship and itinerary you choose, relax and enjoy

Thank you for your reply! I hear a lot of great stories on The Dawn even though it's an older ship and the lay-out is a bit impractical and confusing. I guess there is something beautiful/special about that ship 🙂

Thank you, I will! 

7 hours ago, Aj101 said:

Oh 33 is a baby on HAL…LOL.    I love HAL too especially the library and bread.  Anyhow I go with the itinerary and whether or not I can swing a balcony, 

Hahah yes, it is. But I was 'chilling with my older homies' 😂 

I also loved the library and the whole ship was just so beautiful; I loved to just walk around and notice little things 🙂 

Thank you! So far everyone is choosing itinerary first; which makes sense I guess! When you travel in general, you first pick the place you want to visit and then you pick a hotel etc. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sofienummer said:

And if you do recommend NCL, would you recommend a newer or older ship?

In terms of NCL’s “older” ships, the Jewel-class ships (Jewel, Jade, Gem, Pearl) are wonderful. They are a comfortable size, with a more traditional cruising experience (like a real promenade deck), and some great public areas. 

Re the Dawn, please know that she does not have a forward-facing indoor lounge or observation area.

We’ve cruised once with HAL, a cruise we picked for the itinerary, and would cruise with HAL again, for the itinerary.  

Enjoy whatever you decide to do! 

As a general rule, we've found the mainstream lines to be more similar than different.  Having sailed HAL twice in my 30s, it was a very solid line that is similar to other lines and if you were happy there, you will be happy on the other lines, especially Princess that has a more relaxed feel to it.  We found Princess to be the most similar to HAL but with a younger crowd.  RC is also very good, and we were happy on Cunard, but we felt a bit out of place there like we did on HAL due to age.  

The one thing to be careful about is that NCL seems to have issues with changing itineraries. On my cruise last January on the Getaway, one port and the morning of another was cancelled after final payment to help the environment.  When I called NCL to ask them to let me reschedule to an identical sailing a few weeks later because I was. pulling 3 kids out of school for the ports, they refused because they cancelled the ports after final payment.  NCL continued to advertise the original itinerary for the next month, and didn't notify new passengers who booked with them them directly over the phone of the cancellations, nor did they let them cancel or reschedule.  

I'd recommend checking the passenger reviews on this year's sailings for the ship/itinerary you are looking at next summer to see if they've been able to make their itineraries.  

You can start with their most recent review of the ship you are thinking about sailing and go backwards to see what recent sailings have been like.  This is the star  but you you can easily find the dawn too.  

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=704939

Please check the cancellation policies of any private tours you schedule prior to booking.

Edited by kitkat343

While the thought of hanging out with fellow old farts on HAL is appealing (I turn the big 7-Oh next month)...we prefer casual cruising and NCL fits the bill.

No mandatory "look at me in my tuxedo/ball gown" nights, flexible dining times ( as well as flexible booking with refundable deposits up until final payment, for people who tend to change their minds...like us.) 

We've only been on "newer" NCL ships (Escape, Bliss, Encore, Prima) but will be taking our first cruise on an "older" NCL ship (Pearl) in December. It will be interesting to see how the old girl stacks up against her younger sisters.

I’ve so far only cruised Celebrity Millenium which is an older ship but the interior was completely redone. I liked the size or maybe a little bigger but don’t want to cruise on the giant mega ships cruise lines are now coming out with. I would pick by itinerary first but keep an eye on ships that aren’t covered in water slides etc.

I’m also 33 and cruising solo and don’t mind an older crowd but am trying to find the happy middle while not being surrounded by children. Not sure if NCL might be too casual for me but I’ll find out in December when I take my first TA. I wanted a decent amount of ports, not a hot climate or time of year, a good amount of sea days and I found a TA on Gem which fit the bill. Norway, Iceland, Scotland, the British Isles are all on my cruise bucket list however.

1 hour ago, schmoopie17 said:

While the thought of hanging out with fellow old farts on HAL is appealing (I turn the big 7-Oh next month)...we prefer casual cruising and NCL fits the bill.

No mandatory "look at me in my tuxedo/ball gown" nights, flexible dining times ( as well as flexible booking with refundable deposits up until final payment, for people who tend to change their minds...like us.) 

We've only been on "newer" NCL ships (Escape, Bliss, Encore, Prima) but will be taking our first cruise on an "older" NCL ship (Pearl) in December. It will be interesting to see how the old girl stacks up against her younger sisters.

Which cruise in December?

Love The Pearl.  One of the features that "Jewel" class ships have is a Bridge Viewing Room Window all the way forward on Deck 11.

• Like 1

We started cruising on HAL. Loved it from the beginning, great service, good food and beautiful ships.

My kids were very young then.  As they got older we moved to NCL.  It has more things for them.

If traveling just with my husband, I would love to go back to HAL.  My husband is harder to convince 

because of pricing on HAL and the perks from lattitudes from NCL

To address some other questions, not much classical music on NCL but typically a decent amount of trivia and games. 
Holland is grouped with premium lines like Celebrity and Princess while NCL is Contemporary (newer category name for Mainstream) like Carnival and Royal.  

On 9/4/2023 at 6:44 PM, sofienummer said:

Hi everyone,

Last year I finally went on my first solo cruise! I was supposed to go in 2017 on the Norwegian Epic, but because of health issues I unfortunately couldn't go. 

I think the main reason I chose Norwegian Epic last time was because back then it was one of the first cruise ships that accommodated for Solo travelers. It was a Mediterranean cruise, but I’m personally more interested in Northern countries.

So, last year I finally booked my first cruise to Norway! I went on the Rotterdam of Holland America Line; their newest Rotterdam ship. I had a balcony cabin and just an amazing experience. I loved to see Norway and I loved the whole atmosphere on HAL. I’ve met some great people, enjoyed classical music, quizzes, dancing, and other fun activities.

I was one of the youngest (33 years old), but did feel very welcomed and safe 🙂 I’m not a big partier/drinker, but I do enjoy all kinds of fun activities!

Anyways, I’ve always wanted to go with NCL because I liked the idea of a cruise that’s less ‘strict and formal’, suited for many ages, have many activities and shows. But I wonder if someone who has been with both cruise lines can tell me a bit about the (dis)advantages of cruising with NCL after HAL.

On the HAL, I loved the classical music every night, the beautiful BBC Earth documentaries, the cleanliness/new feeling of the ship, the design, the whole atmosphere. It never felt too crowded, I could enjoy my time in peace!

I worry that NCL does not offer some of these things I really like.

The things I missed on the other hand: although I felt welcomed, it did feel a little out of place at times and I missed something like a circus? show, more game-related stuff, etc.

Now my other problem, should I go on an older NCL ship (Star or Dawn) and have an itinerary I like more. Or should I go on a relatively newer ship (Getaway) so I have a newer ship with more activities onboard, but have an itinerary I like a little less?

Last year, it was my first time being in Norway, but also the first time (technically second, but I don’t remember much since I was very young) I went on a cruise. I did A LOT. I didn’t want to miss out anything, felt like I needed to make the most out of it. This time I want to have a more relaxed time.

Long story short (sorry if this is long and possibly incoherent), what would you recommend/can you give me some information? I believe NCL is a more budget-friendly cruise line, so I wonder how much that would affect my experience after HAL. And if you do recommend NCL, would you recommend a newer or older ship?

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and opinions,

Sophie

Comparing NCL and HAL is challenging, since they’re very different. First off, NCL ships tend to be much more crowded, regardless of the size of the vessel, compared to HAL. This can go from moderately more crowded to “queues everywhere” experiences on the mega NCL ships. NCL allocates a ton of space to the Haven, and their specialty dining. This means main spaces like the theater or music venues tend to be undersized, and people line up/pack in for everything.

Also, the things we like about HAL (the music walk with nonstop performances at night, elevated MDR dining, an app buffet at happy hour, amazing pool deck pizza/burgers/sandwiches), aren’t things you’ll find on NCL. You also won’t find a lot of enrichment activities on NCL: if you’re looking for someone to give a talk on the culture of Iceland or the Norwegian fjords, you’ll want to stick with HAL. HAL also tends to do more culture onboard: local beers, food, etc. You won’t get that on NCL. The service on NCL tends to be more efficient than anything. The warmth and personalization you may find on HAL might not be present on NCL in the same way.

That said, there’s a lot to like about NCL, specifically the laid back vibe. If you’re looking for a vacation where shorts and flip flops are okay in the dining room for dinner, you won’t find a better cruise line. We just did an Adriatic, Greece and Med sailing on NCL that we enjoyed: after sweating so much all day on land it was great knowing we didn’t need to put on pants for dinner. It certainly wasn’t a HAL/Celebrity experience, but we knew this going in.  

On 9/5/2023 at 6:39 PM, SoloAlaska said:

I’ve so far only cruised Celebrity Millenium which is an older ship but the interior was completely redone. I liked the size or maybe a little bigger but don’t want to cruise on the giant mega ships cruise lines are now coming out with. I would pick by itinerary first but keep an eye on ships that aren’t covered in water slides etc.

I’m also 33 and cruising solo and don’t mind an older crowd but am trying to find the happy middle while not being surrounded by children. Not sure if NCL might be too casual for me but I’ll find out in December when I take my first TA. I wanted a decent amount of ports, not a hot climate or time of year, a good amount of sea days and I found a TA on Gem which fit the bill. Norway, Iceland, Scotland, the British Isles are all on my cruise bucket list however.

Totally off topic (I know, I know)....have you given any thought to Virgin? If we ever try a line other than NCL, Virgin is probably first on our list. 

• Like 1

Hmmmm...this is a tough one.  I've sailed both HAL and NCL (quite a bit).  

Out of all the mainstream cruise lines, the demographics between HAL and the others is pretty stark.  As you say, HAL is more classical music and formality.  NCL is more rock and roll and exuberance.  Not saying one is better than the other.  But, if you prefer one, the other probably isn't going to suffice.

As mentioned, NCL probably does the best job out of all the major cruise lines in catering to solos.  There's going to be much more to do on NCL than HAL.  HAL has recently stuck their toes on the water in expanding their entertainment choices, but they're nowhere near to the quality and variety of an NCL sailing...particularly on their larger ships (Epic, -Away and Away Plus).

HAL is "slower" service wise.  I think they want to perpetrate the idea that slow is more relaxing.  Maybe.  But, NCL is more efficient, as was previously mentioned.  Their crew seems to be more engaged with guests, too.

Lots of Specialty Dining on NCL vs HAL, if that's your thing. 

Personally, I've found the naturalists (e.g. the ones on board the NCL Bliss sailing in Alaska) to be interesting.  But, I don't go on a cruise to be in class.  I can generally read about those same things that are being lectured about.

Older vs newer NCL ships?  Depends on what you're looking for.  Older NCL ships tend to be more like HAL ships with wood and brass everywhere.

You referenced the GETAWAY.  I love both "-Away" ships.  First, they have the THE WATERFRONT, which is an extended area of bars and al fresco dining restaurants.  It's probably my favorite ship feature on any cruise ship.  You can see landscape, breath in the fresh sea air, have some drinks, have a white table cloth dining experience, or just sit on one of their many seats and couches and read a book while watching the ship cut through the water.

Arguably the best entertainment I've seen on any cruise ship (and maybe more to your liking) are the shows at Syd Norman's.  The downside is, the shows are so good, you have to like up early to get a seat.  Worth the wait, however.

I think the show SIX is still playing right now.  But, from what I understand, NCL is replacing it with something else shortly.  Don't know when.

NCL has solo gatherings daily, where you'll be afforded the opportunity to meet other solos. dine together, have drinks together, etc.

Food on HAL and NCL is similar.  One better than others in some ways, and some ways not.

Your itinerary....if that's important, and you already like HAL, stick with HAL.  If you are looking for a different experience, one with a more contemporary vibe with more to do, hit up NCL.  

I think from my post you can tell which way I'd go.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Found this thread as closest to NCL Epic...sooo...

We were looking to book the Epic for next spring, but then were 'warned' about their staterooms.  Sure enough, our 'research' shows us they have showers 'out in the stateroom' [with no privacy we can see] and a washsink in the cabin area too...no closed off bathroom except a toilet.  WOW, were we ever glad to have found this out BEFORE we booked!  Was looking for other's commentary on the EPIC and this very strange configuration that defies logic [our logic anyway].  Needless to say, we'll not touch the EPIC with Grinches 19 and half foot pole [or some such, ha].  Anyone else experience these weird cabins on the EPIC...and is the EPIC the ONLY ship in NCL's flee that has such a setup [hopefully]?  We're still scratching our heads trying to figure out the logic of the designer of such...well...such...craziness? Who wants to prance around naked for the others in one's stateroom to googlyeye?  How about wet stateroom cabin floors? I know my stateroom partner would just love seeing me shave in the morning, or gargling my teeth! Just had to say something somewhere [might help the OP to investigate before booking the EPIC themselves].  'Nuff said.  Probably an EPIC thread somewhere about this, but our search didn't find it.  We hear NCL, otherwise, is a pretty good Cruise line. 

I'm a three star mariner on HAL and just reached platinum on NCL, so have traveled both quite a bit. (also other lines)

NCL - I'm not a big party person but do like the energy of NCL, don't like the lines or crowds. Love the District Brew House, the drink package for the price of gratuities and The Local/O'Sheehans. I would not pay for specialty dining on most cruise lines, but since 2 nights are included with my room, have found I really enjoyed them. Food can be hit or miss in MDR, but that is true with all cruise lines. 

HAL - much more laid back. Enjoy the total relaxation and quieter areas of the ship, but enjoy their music walk for the evening entertainment. My favorite thing about HAL is some of their itineraries which are available on some of their smaller ships. Would rather be on a smaller ship with fewer passengers and lines - and don't mind if it's older as long as it's kept up.

On 9/22/2023 at 9:47 PM, LinRon3 said:

Found this thread as closest to NCL Epic...sooo...

We were looking to book the Epic for next spring, but then were 'warned' about their staterooms.  Sure enough, our 'research' shows us they have showers 'out in the stateroom' [with no privacy we can see] and a washsink in the cabin area too...no closed off bathroom except a toilet.  WOW, were we ever glad to have found this out BEFORE we booked!  Was looking for other's commentary on the EPIC and this very strange configuration that defies logic [our logic anyway].  Needless to say, we'll not touch the EPIC with Grinches 19 and half foot pole [or some such, ha].  Anyone else experience these weird cabins on the EPIC...and is the EPIC the ONLY ship in NCL's flee that has such a setup [hopefully]?  We're still scratching our heads trying to figure out the logic of the designer of such...well...such...craziness? Who wants to prance around naked for the others in one's stateroom to googlyeye?  How about wet stateroom cabin floors? I know my stateroom partner would just love seeing me shave in the morning, or gargling my teeth! Just had to say something somewhere [might help the OP to investigate before booking the EPIC themselves].  'Nuff said.  Probably an EPIC thread somewhere about this, but our search didn't find it.  We hear NCL, otherwise, is a pretty good Cruise line. 

If I'm sharing the stateroom with just my husband...no big deal. I'm not so sure we prance, but we certainly wander around in our birthday suits while on cruises. It's a quick scurrying of feet to grab the robe when our butler stops by. As for the bathroom activities...well, we've certainly seen each other do whatever you can think of a bathroom is for (proper uses y'all, sheeeesh). Every single bathroom on a cruise ship seems to attract water, so wet floors are across the fleet (well, at least Getaway and Joy). So, Epic's bathroom won't phase us.