Back to Back Question

Socal404

We are on an 18 day cruise on Vista from March 9-27. It's technically one cruise. 7 days in western Caribbean, stop back in Miami, and then 11 days to Bermuda, Norfolk, Charleston SC and Port Canaveral. It's my understanding that all passengers must get off in Miami during the turnaround. I checked for excursions in Miami. There are some, but when I logged into my account and went to that day (Miami), there were none available.  Any ideas?

Thank you.

38 minutes ago, Socal404 said:

We are on an 18 day cruise on Vista from March 9-27. It's technically one cruise. 7 days in western Caribbean, stop back in Miami, and then 11 days to Bermuda, Norfolk, Charleston SC and Port Canaveral. It's my understanding that all passengers must get off in Miami during the turnaround. I checked for excursions in Miami. There are some, but when I logged into my account and went to that day (Miami), there were none available.  Any ideas?

Thank you.

Yep.  Book a food tour of Little Havana.  Do this on your own.  Just take a taxi or Uber to your tour start point and grab an Uber back.  You can look online at places like Trip Advisor and read about the various tour options and the reviews.

Hank

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Socal404 said:

Thank you.

Close to changeover day you’ll get a flyer with available ship’s tours for those who are continuing on.

On our recent back to backs in Miami immigration formalities were undertaken very quickly by the immigration officers. Note the Wi-Fi in the immigration hall is much faster than on the ship! Time to download newspapers and emails!!

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

They send a form around a few days before the  next segment  &  in the past  it will offer tours along with instructions on what to do for  turnaround day

So these tours are just excursions they let you know about a couple of days before? Or they have excursions to purchase in advance as all others? We have a 20 cruise booked in 2024 which we booked under one tour but is actually two 10 days also with the change over in Barcelona.   Never been on a longer cruise before where it was set up like this. 

1 minute ago, EJL2023 said:

So these tours are just excursions they let you know about a couple of days before? Or they have excursions to purchase in advance as all others? We have a 20 cruise booked in 2024 which we booked under one tour but is actually two 10 days also with the change over in Barcelona.   Never been on a longer cruise before where it was set up like this. 

Go to destination services early in the 1st segment & as if they have tours  for purchase  on turnaround day 

Then you can decide to DIY or take  one of the tours

11 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Go to destination services early in the 1st segment & as if they have tours  for purchase  on turnaround day 

Then you can decide to DIY or take  one of the tours

Thanks for the info.  Saw the comments you have to get off. That part had never crossed my mind. We would get off anyway but was just not sure of options. Probably just do our own thing. 

Edited by EJL2023

14 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Thanks for the info.  Saw the comments you have to get off. That part had never crossed my mind. We would get off anyway but was just not sure of options. Probably just do our own thing. 

In USA  turnaround ports  yes  but  some European ports you can just stay onboard

In UK we needed to get off  but Denmark was no problem

Depends on the rules of the Country

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Segment cruising is what sets Oceania apart from many other cruise lines. The ships are deployed to a region of the world and, apart from a ship doing a number of similar regional itineraries, it eventually moves across seasonal regions in a very organized fashion - allowing folks to book multiple segments (either as an advertised or as a custom cruise). 
While many people will board/leave at the changeover day between segments, others continue onto the next segment.

As aforementioned, the multi-segment folks will get a flyer during a current segment describing changeover day tours. However, some of the most popular published multisegment cruises will list the changeover day tours on the web and in the tours PDF prior to embark.

Bottom line: if you don’t see listings for your changeover day before you board (web or pdf), you’ll eventually get the flyer once you’re onboard.

• Like 1

I’ll share our experience from last September on Regatta.

We were back to back in Los Angeles but the procedure is likely the same for all US ports.  A few days before the end of the first segment we received a letter which:  a) confirmed we were booked back to back. b) offered us a couple of tour options, a short list indeed. and c) asked whether we would like to dine in the GDR for lunch on turnaround day (which wasn’t an option for new joiners).

We were instructed to meet in the lower lobby at a particular time to be taken off as a group.  I don’t recall the exact time, something like 10:00.  There were about 25 of us, naturally there were two stragglers who held the group up.  We were led off to meet immigration face to face which was a quick efficient process.  Then, back through the metal detectors and back to the boarding lounge.  The port security staff were a bit confused (remember, not so long after the restart) with one asking us repeatedly to leave the building.  We all sat in place and eventually another officer arrived who cleared us to wait.  We were allowed back onboard about 11:00 we were again delayed because two or three pax tried to eek out every possible minute preventing the “zero count” which is required before boarding can start.

The process was easy enough and would have flowed more smoothly if everyone just complied with the provided instructions.

Hope this helps a bit.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jondfk said:

We were back to back in Los Angeles but the procedure is likely the same for all US ports.  A few days before the end of the first segment we received a letter which:  a) confirmed we were booked back to back. b) offered us a couple of tour options, a short list indeed. and c) asked whether we would like to dine in the GDR for lunch on turnaround day (which wasn’t an option for new joiners).

We were instructed to meet in the lower lobby at a particular time to be taken off as a group.  I don’t recall the exact time, something like 10:00.  There were about 25 of us, naturally there were two stragglers who held the group up.  We were led off to meet immigration face to face which was a quick efficient process.  Then, back through the metal detectors and back to the boarding lounge.  The port security staff were a bit confused (remember, not so long after the restart) with one asking us repeatedly to leave the building.  We all sat in place and eventually another officer arrived who cleared us to wait.  We were allowed back onboard about 11:00 we were again delayed because two or three pax tried to eek out every possible minute preventing the “zero count” which is required before boarding can start.

The process was easy enough and would have flowed more smoothly if everyone just complied with the provided instructions.

Hope this helps a bit.

GDR is available for those continuing on, but if I recall correctly, it closes at 1:00. We were running late from our excursion and got there at 1:10 -- no cajoling them into letting us in. Just FYI. 

4 hours ago, jondfk said:

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks for the helpful info. Will they give us our passports to show the immigration folk?

24 minutes ago, Socal404 said:

Thanks for the helpful info. Will they give us our passports to show the immigration folk?

Yes certainly, in fact I don’t recall them taking our passports on that particular sailing, but that might differ for other foreign countries (we visited only Mexico).

Our experience in the US is an easy turnaround - meet up and receive new card.  Walk out with security and "bing" out.  Walk down the deck and renter with new card - we did not have to walk to the port building or wait to reboard.  Another choice is to get a pass and leave the ship to do what you want.  They will tell you when you are allowed to  re-board (once the ship is cleared for passengers) the ship and will be able to walk around the new passengers to reboard.  

One thing to note about turn-around day tours - depending on the itineraries, the number of people going B2B may be limited, increasing the chances that any given tour may be canceled.  We had this happen earlier this year in Lisbon, where pretty much every tour we were interested in was canceled.  (Including the one we had booked.)  There were ~150 out of 650 going B2B.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NewSalty said:

One thing to note about turn-around day tours - depending on the itineraries, the number of people going B2B may be limited, increasing the chances that any given tour may be canceled.  We had this happen earlier this year in Lisbon, where pretty much every tour we were interested in was canceled.  (Including the one we had booked.)  There were ~150 out of 650 going B2B.

Good point

A lot of people will DIY or just  enjoy the  ship until the new pax arrive

Depending on the port we usually go off for a few hours  & pick up supplies   have a bite to eat   then return to the ship late afternoon

Check with O.  Your cruise might be part of a continuation of another cruise.  I just called them about the same issue.  I am taking the first two segments of a six-segment cruise.  O. sent me the offerings for Reykjavik from the fully extended cruise.  I will call back with the excursion I want, and they will place it in my reservation.    

21 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Good point

A lot of people will DIY or just  enjoy the  ship until the new pax arrive

Depending on the port we usually go off for a few hours  & pick up supplies   have a bite to eat   then return to the ship late afternoon

Yeah, I kicked myself afterwards for not simply jumping on the HOHO bus...  We opted for a less than ideal ship tour, but didn't get to see Lisbon.

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2023 at 12:27 PM, NewSalty said:

Yeah, I kicked myself afterwards for not simply jumping on the HOHO bus...  We opted for a less than ideal ship tour, but didn't get to see Lisbon.

Hi NewSalty, I have a B2B changeover in Lisbon coming up.  Wondering if you can share your experience?  Did you have to vacate your stateroom (we have the same cabin for both segments).  Did you have to check-in again just like the new passenger will have to?

LHT28 advises the process varies by country and port so just curious what the process is in Lisbon.  Have a full-day private excursion planned for the changeover day so want to make sure I won't run into problems.  Thanks!

We were in Lisbon, on the Sirena, last October starting the second leg of a B2B.

A zero count was not required. Some passengers remained on the ship. Oceania ran shore tours. The port ran regular shuttle buses from the ship to downtown for we DIYers.

For those that stayed on the ship for the “ special “ lunch in the GDR, it was reported that the menu was identical to the evening menu the night before. So one got an evening meal served at lunch. Some questioned whether it wasn’t just the excess prepared food re warmed. We had a lovely lunch ashore.

I believe one had to RSVP for the lunch , on the forms sent around, so they would have a headcount for that special lunch.

Edited by pinotlover

If you do a b2b in Europe, you will receive a brown envelope with new room keys. You do not have to get off the ship  and you can remain in your cabin . In the US, you must get off the ship and go through immigration.

Rhea

14 minutes ago, rheasue38 said:

If you do a b2b in Europe, you will receive a brown envelope with new room keys. You do not have to get off the ship  and you can remain in your cabin . In the US, you must get off the ship and go through immigration.

Rhea

We are on a B2B2B on Vista - our current experience, we went through US Customs/Immigration in Bar Harbor, Maine, picked our room keys from reception day before Miami, were told we would have to get off ship in Miami around 9AM.  Received a phone call at 8:30AM that US Customs/Immigration informed O that we did not need to leave ship. Next stop at Miami at end of cruise, told to meet at 8:30AM to get off ship and this time we did have to get off the ship, walked through Terminal J as a group, back upstairs, waited 10 minutes and then back on the ship...so procedure depends upon what the countries Customs/Immigration decides.....Either way, even when we have had to get off the ship, it has been a quick and easy procedure

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, basor said:

We are on a B2B2B on Vista - our current experience, we went through US Customs/Immigration in Bar Harbor, Maine, picked our room keys from reception day before Miami, were told we would have to get off ship in Miami around 9AM.  Received a phone call at 8:30AM that US Customs/Immigration informed O that we did not need to leave ship. Next stop at Miami at end of cruise, told to meet at 8:30AM to get off ship and this time we did have to get off the ship, walked through Terminal J as a group, back upstairs, waited 10 minutes and then back on the ship...so procedure depends upon what the countries Customs/Immigration decides.....Either way, even when we have had to get off the ship, it has been a quick and easy procedure