Got our travel tags today, but...

longterm

We leave for the Grand European River Cruise in about 4 weeks; today I got our Viking travel package, but it only included 1 red leather baggage tag and 2 paper bag tags, and only 1 of the red paper stick-on tags that we're supposed to wear when we get off the plane.

In the past we've always gotten 2 leather tags and 2 paper bag tags per person, and one round stick-on paper tag for each of us; do they ship them separately to each passenger now, even though we're both part of the same booking number?

Seems odd...

Just now, longterm said:

We leave for the Grand European River Cruise in about 4 weeks; today I got our Viking travel package, but it only included 1 red leather baggage tag and 2 paper bag tags, and only 1 of the red paper stick-on tags that we're supposed to wear when we get off the plane.

In the past we've always gotten 2 leather tags and 2 paper bag tags per person, and one round stick-on paper tag for each of us; do they ship them separately to each passenger now, even though we're both part of the same booking number?

Seems odd...

Ask Viking

• Like 1

1 hour ago, longterm said:

Seems odd...

Hi @longterm. Maybe they heard you do Rick Steves-style carryon packing so figured you only needed two bag tags! 😉

Edited by LindaS272
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

The leather tags and stickers are optional, we've never used the stickers. We use a couple of old Viking leather tags but only as they are as good luggage tags as any. 

The important ones are the ones with the room number on. Write on ones can be supplied when you get there if you need additional 

Are you using a TA for this trip?

We have had a situation where one of the names on the invoice has the TA address and the other has our home address, which would indicate that a separate package has gone to the TA?

We just recently sailed and all our tags went to the TA - which I don't understand because that is an extra step in the process to get this stuff....

If you don't get it worked out with Viking, just see the Viking rep at the airport and they will have more tags for the cabin number and just take care of that then.

If you want more red leather luggage tags, send me your address.  We have at least 10 that are still in their plastic sleeve never used and probably will never use them...

We never wear the stickers because it makes me feel like I am on a school trip or something.

We look for the Viking rep and don't rely on them finding us because we have a sticker on our chest.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, LeeSusan1 said:

We got everything together. Not sure why your package was not assembled correctly. Good luck sorting it out! 

Figured it out... we booked the cruise, then transferred it to a TA. Apparently, Viking neglected to change the mailing information for my wife, so they mailed her luggage tags to the TA rather than us. They're going to re-mail them, to us this time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

If you want more red leather luggage tags, send me your address.  We have at least 10 that are still in their plastic sleeve never used and probably will never use them...

Thanks, what a kind offer; we have a bunch of them as well. I agree about the stickers, but like the lemming that I will be in that situation, I'm sure I'll stick it to my shirt. 🙂

They don't give away those nice brown pouches any longer; we have several of them, which are great for packing.

• Like 1

We put on the Viking stickers for transfers when arriving.  On 1 river cruise we did not see a Viking Rep when we arrived.  As we were walking to find Ground Transportation, a Viking Rep ran up to us asking if we were looking for our Viking transfer.We had booked our own flights and arrived later than the Viking booked air guest.  Because the transfer bus had gone to the hotel, the Viking Rep secured a private transfer and Viking paid for our transfer from the airport to hotel.  We had completed the "Transfer Request" but our name was not on his list. I showed him our invoice showing the paid for transfer.

I also put the Red Viking tags on our carry-on and my purse when arriving.

I agree, I would prefer to receive the brown travel package and not another red luggage tag.. We have completed 5 river and 6 ocean cruises.

All materials are sent to your TA unless the TA request items to be mailed directly to the cruiser.

15 hours ago, longterm said:

Seems odd...

We just received ours for the European Sojourn (the three week cruise) and are in a suite. 

One sticker and one red leather tag per person...though we did get 2 paper tags each with the cabin number on them for the luggage.  

16 minutes ago, MSEm said:

We put on the Viking stickers for transfers when arriving.  On 1 river cruise we did not see a Viking Rep when we arrived.  As we were walking to find Ground Transportation, a Viking Rep ran up to us asking if we were looking for our Viking transfer.We had booked our own flights and arrived later than the Viking booked air guest.  Because the transfer bus had gone to the hotel, the Viking Rep secured a private transfer and Viking paid for our transfer from the airport to hotel.  We had completed the "Transfer Request" but our name was not on his list. I showed him our invoice showing the paid for transfer.

I also put the Red Viking tags on our carry-on and my purse when arriving.

I agree, I would prefer to receive the brown travel package and not another red luggage tag.. We have completed 5 river and 6 ocean cruises.

All materials are sent to your TA unless the TA request items to be mailed directly to the cruiser.

I didn't think the transfer to the hotel was offered when you booked your own air fare.  So that is a new one on me.  

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

I didn't think the transfer to the hotel was offered when you booked your own air fare.  So that is a new one on me.  

If you book a pre or post cruise extension with Viking, transportation from/to the airport is included regardless of whether you use Viking Air.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

If you book a pre or post cruise extension with Viking, transportation from/to the airport is included regardless of whether you use Viking Air.

Ahh...OK.   We only booked the air with them...did not pay for an added extension.   So that is the catch.  😉 

You can book a transfer on the arrival or departure dates.  You must complete the "Transfer Request".

to find the form: 

Go to MVJ       AIR.  The form download is in the intro information on the page. If you have booked the Viking Pre or Post cruise extension the transfer cost is included.  If you booked your own pre or post cruise stay you will need to book your independent transfers.

You will pay for the transfer, but Viking pricing is reasonable.

20 minutes ago, MSEm said:

You can book a transfer on the arrival or departure dates.  You must complete the "Transfer Request".

You will pay for the transfer, but Viking pricing is reasonable.

Agreed, the $49 per person from dock to airport in Bergen seemed reasonable, especially given the level of service.

Our bags were taken ashore to the terminal, where we identified them to a porter who loaded them to the coach. At the airport we were asked to wait on the coach until porters assembled, and we again identified our bags for the porters to load on luggage carts. The porter then pushed the cart to our check in desk and left us to it.

7 minutes ago, miami mama said:

Longterm, so glad to see you will be taking the Grand European River Cruise. I'm hoping you post about your time on that cruise as I found your posts from other cruises to be very informative. Happy cruising. 

Thanks! This will be our 2nd time on the river cruise, this time in the opposite direction from Budapest to Amsterdam. Also, we're going a month earlier than last time, when it was rather chilly and rainy. I'm looking forward as well to be traveling with 2 of my brothers and their wives, so the 6 of us will have a great time. 

• Like 1

Stop at the Ratskeller in Regensburg and order a dark beer (and a schweinshaxe). What you will get is a Weltenburger Kloster Barock Dunkel. The monks have been brewing this beer for over a thousand years and it is widely considered to be the best dunkel on the planet. Cheers!

Edited by duquephart

23 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Are you using a TA for this trip?

We have had a situation where one of the names on the invoice has the TA address and the other has our home address, which would indicate that a separate package has gone to the TA?

We just recently sailed and all our tags went to the TA - which I don't understand because that is an extra step in the process to get this stuff....

If you don't get it worked out with Viking, just see the Viking rep at the airport and they will have more tags for the cabin number and just take care of that then.

We never wear the stickers because it makes me feel like I am on a school trip or something.

We look for the Viking rep and don't rely on them finding us because we have a sticker on our chest.

I'm with you on the stickers.

We never got our luggage tags. Apparently got sent to our TA who had shut down. Lost in the oxone I suppose. Viking really ought to send them directly. I hear they're nice.

2 hours ago, duquephart said:

I'm with you on the stickers.

We never got our luggage tags. Apparently got sent to our TA who had shut down. Lost in the oxone I suppose. Viking really ought to send them directly. I hear they're nice.

Stamped with the Viking logo, but very similar to a 4 pack I bought on Amazon for $10. Unfortunately, Viking uses their red color and I have the red color tag and can spot my luggage on any carousel from a hundred feet away.

But I don't like traveling in the GP with brands on my stuff.

We use the Viking Red luggage tags when travelling to and from a Viking cruise, but not for non Viking travel either personal or business.

Why?  For those that know Viking, they also know that it is higher end price and we feel that these tags are very visible and could set you up as a target for unwanted attention.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

We use the Viking Red luggage tags when travelling to and from a Viking cruise, but not for non Viking travel either personal or business.

Why?  For those that know Viking, they also know that it is higher end price and we feel that these tags are very visible and could set you up as a target for unwanted attention.

My higher end luggage sets me up more for that than a little red tag...but I get what you are saying.  So far no problem...yet.  😦

Edited by island lady

1 minute ago, island lady said:

My higher end luggage sets me up more for that than a little red tag...but I get what you are saying.  So far no problem...yet.  😦

I love that you have the higher end luggage, but I don't want to pay for airlines to scratch and damage it.