Canaletto daily specials?

canadarocks

4 hours ago, canadarocks said:

I think they just renamed it and put it on the every day menu -> Herb & Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breast

Yeah, I don't know why they're renaming stuff.  One of my favorites was Spaghetti Alla Vongole (on the old menu).  Now it's the same dish but on the new menu it is called "Spaghetti with Shrimp and Clams".  Anyone doubts this, just check out the ingredients on BOTH menus.

On 9/7/2023 at 10:21 PM, HollDoll said:

On Rotterdam in October.  When I go to the various venues to make reservations the Canaletto doesn’t have any place to make a reservation while all the others do.  Does anyone know if that’s gonna change anytime soon?

No idea.  My guess and hope is that there is going to be a Cellar Master dinner there and once that’s sorted out, they may come back?

Just a guess and a bit of wishful thinking 😉 

Sea you on board 🙂 

My cruise is less than 2 months away, and I have a reservation for Canaletto on the 12th day of the cruise (Friday). I'm watching the changing menu specials because I would much rather have scallops than tenderloin!

I still have time to change my reservation if the specials change on a set schedule. I'm assuming it will be by day of the week?

• 3 weeks later...

S here is the daily special plan for the Canaletto that I received today aboard Nieuw Amsterdam:

Days 1 - 3  Fresh grilled fish

Days 4 - 5  Grilled tenderloin

Days 6 - 7  Seared scallops

Days 8 - 10  Chefs choice of veal chop or lamb chop

Day 11+ - start back at Day 1

As my 15 + 7 Days aboard Nieuw Amsterdam proceed, I will check daily for any deviation.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

15 hours ago, Crew News said:

S here is the daily special plan for the Canaletto that I received today aboard Nieuw Amsterdam:

As my 15 + 7 Days aboard Nieuw Amsterdam proceed, I will check daily for any deviation.

This is disappointing for someone who does not eat seafood, veal or lamb.

On 9/21/2023 at 4:58 PM, AV8rix said:

Yeah, I don't know why they're renaming stuff.  One of my favorites was Spaghetti Alla Vongole (on the old menu).  Now it's the same dish but on the new menu it is called "Spaghetti with Shrimp and Clams".  Anyone doubts this, just check out the ingredients on BOTH menus.

It's funny. I never liked the sound of Spaghetti Alla Vongole but I do like Spaghetti with Shrimp and Clams. I will happily order that. Less pretentious too!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

It's funny. I never liked the sound of Spaghetti Alla Vongole but I do like Spaghetti with Shrimp and Clams. I will happily order that. Less pretentious too!

Well, I dunno about “pretentious”.  “….alle vongole” is just Italian for “….with clams”.  Although I don’t think that “alle” LITERALLY means “with” but is generally used that way in menus.

Oh, I get it.  You think that everything on the menu should be in English.  Well, next time you’re in Canaletto just order “long slender strings of pasta with shrimp and clams”.  You can do likewise when ordering anything else on the menu that is printed using the Italian-language words.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, AV8rix said:

Well, I dunno about “pretentious”.  “….alle vongole” is just Italian for “….with clams”.  Although I don’t think that “alle” LITERALLY means “with” but is generally used that way in menus.

Oh, I get it.  You think that everything on the menu should be in English.  Well, next time you’re in Canaletto just order “long slender strings of pasta with shrimp and clams”.  You can do likewise when ordering anything else on the menu that is printed using the Italian-language words.

Well, I don't speak Italian and I am not going to use my phone to decipher what the Italian means while eating. Furthermore, if vongole means clams, where is the shrimp then? The English is actually more precise and helpful to this monolingual foode.

• Like 2

On 10/7/2023 at 9:10 PM, Crew News said:

Roger, can you please find out if the preparation of each special will be the same each day (is the Grilled Fish on days 1, 2, & 3 the same type of fish, and with the same accompaniments)?

1 minute ago, canadarocks said:

Roger, can you please find out if the preparation of each special will be the same each day (is the Grilled Fish on days 1, 2, & 3 the same type of fish, and with the same accompaniments)?

I now have the four menus and the sides are fixed for each menu  The type of fish changes to what is available. I will post when the internet speed improves.

Note that the veal and lamb chop specials will only be available on cruises longer than seven days. 

Specials of the Day with sides:

• Grilled fish sides - Days 1-3:  sedana rapa puree, fried artichokes, tomato fennel confit, and extra virgin olive oil.
  • Grilled tenderloin - Days 4-5:  red onion jam, roasted leek, herb crusted portabella
  • Seared scallops - Days 6-7:  Maracona lemon herb crust, corn custard, crispy prosciutto
  • Roasted rack of lamb - Days 8, 9, or 10 (chefs choice):  smoked eggplant, Brussel sprout-pancetta-pecorino, Olive crumble, minted yogurt
  • Grilled veal chop - Days 8, 9, or 10 (chefs choice):  caponata, fried artichokes

I will be trying the new Canaletto menu tonight but not the veal chop special. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

With a goal of trying all of the new specials and taking photos over the next 15 days aboard, I tried the new Canaletto Seared Scallops special last night.

My scallops dinner was tasty with an amazing presentation.  The crispy panchetta was quite a treat.  I strongly recommend.  Here is a link to the five new Canaletto menus with the file names indicating the applicable cruise days served:  Canaletto New Menus

image.jpeg.615c739ba5363dc9f5a688d3b6f1117d.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

21 hours ago, Crew News said:

With a goal of trying all of the new specials and taking photos over the next 15 days aboard, I tried the new Canaletto Seared Scallops special last night.

My scallops dinner was tasty with an amazing presentation.  The crispy panchetta was quite a treat.  I strongly recommend.  Here is a link to the five new Canaletto menus with the file names indicating the applicable cruise days served:  Canaletto New Menus

image.jpeg.615c739ba5363dc9f5a688d3b6f1117d.jpeg

This looks like it should be an appy, no a main.

• Like 1

I will be changing the cruise days noted on the Canaletto menus today to reflect the closure of the restaurant on the first cruise day.

FWIW portion sizes are huge.  The meat ball appetizer is three 3--inch diameter balls that would qualify as an entree.  Veal chop is slightly less than half of the tomahawk steaks size. Much larger than the reported 12 oz.  Combining the two at the same meal was overwhelming last night.   Photos later today.

Lamb chop tonight and just soup for lunch to be prepared.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here is a link to the new Canaletto menus with the cruise days that each menu will be served added in the upper right corner of each menu.  For longer cruises, the 10 menu days series begins anew on Day 12:  Combined Canaletto Menus

Here is the alleged 12 oz (more like 16 oz) veal chop special served on cruise days 9, 10, or 11 (chefs choice):

image.jpeg.36c5752a0e61665771bdfabc1ce9d8d4.jpeg

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3