One Man's View - Iceland to New York (semi-live)

Critically Cruising

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Critically Cruising was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Hopefully, I will be able to make this a regular series of posts for the sailing from Reykjavik to New York.  As a bit of background, I've had a couple decades of cruising with about a hundred segments all told.  Most all on the luxury lines of Crystal, Regent, Silversea and Seabourn.  A couple here and there on Oceania, Azamara, Windstar and Celebrity with the one-off HAL, Princess, PG and RCI.

A lot of initial reactions to the first afternoon, evening and next daytime.  As mentioned in another thread, I've already had a different experience than another CC poster, so let's see how it goes.  More to follow.  And glad to answer questions, if can provide the answer.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, Critically Cruising said:

Hopefully, I will be able to make this a regular series of posts for the sailing from Reykjavik to New York.  As a bit of background, I've had a couple decades of cruising with about a hundred segments all told.  Most all on the luxury lines of Crystal, Regent, Silversea and Seabourn.  A couple here and there on Oceania, Azamara, Windstar and Celebrity with the one-off HAL, Princess, PG and RCI.

A lot of initial reactions to the first afternoon, evening and next daytime.  As mentioned in another thread, I've already had a different experience than another CC poster, so let's see how it goes.  More to follow.  And glad to answer questions, if can provide the answer.

Thanks for taking the time to post! Hopefully things will settle themselves (in a positive way) as your journey progresses!

Thought for the evening:

Q: What cruiseline provides a laundry for the guests, but puts not a single bar or hook for anyone to place a hanger?

A:  A line that wants guests to spend 12 Euros to have a single shirt washed.

(It's the little things that distinguish a superior product from an adequate one)

More on the laundry to follow.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Critically Cruising said:

Thought for the evening:

Q: What cruiseline provides a laundry for the guests, but puts not a single bar or hook for anyone to place a hanger?

A:  A line that wants guests to spend 12 Euros to have a single shirt washed.

(It's the little things that distinguish a superior product from an adequate one)

More on the laundry to follow.

Thank you for the advanced intel. We always cruise with magnetic hooks and it seems Explora will not be an exception.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Critically Cruising said:

A: Any with hip designers.  Hooks and bars ruin the clean lines in advertising photos, and – horror! – customers come in and totally destroy the esthetic by spreading their belongings everywhere!  🤣

• Haha 4

Hello fellow insomniac - it’s 4.30am onboard now so I see you posted at around 2am 

If you’re ok with it would you mind if I join you in posting impressions and experiences onboard from Reykjavik to New York over the next couple of weeks - rather then starting another thread on the same voyage?

Twenty four hours in and we’re absolutely happy with our onboard experience - for us food, service, the ship’s facilities and entertainment are the important factors and Explora is scoring highly on all four

Food 

We’ve dined at Emporium - great concept with various themed stations where they serve you rather than a self service buffet - it’s our go to for lunch but I’ve talked to others who also dine there at night 

We went to Sakura the first night - absolutely fantastic - our comparison being with Crystal's Nobu restaurant Umi Uma - Sakura is in our opinion equal or better - in fact we only had sushi and sashimi dishes and were too full for main courses although most of my companions did have desserts 😉). We will need to return several times to work our way through the extensive menu

We had breakfast a la carte in Fil Rouge - my omelette was great

We spent time in Crema cafe and were impressed with the coffee (Ily) and the food including a great toasted panini 

Last night we had dinner in Fil Rouge - the caviar and lobster were perfect and our friend who is a foie gras lover was happy with his appetiser - every dish our group of 5 had was a winner

The wait staff and sommeliers are very good and communicate well and respond to requests well - and example was last night one friend wanted some cheese during the early courses - they brought it without issue, someone wanted more caviar which had been part of an appetiser - they said no we can’t serve just the caviar but we’d be delighted to serve you the appetiser and of course you may not choose to eat it all 😉) - the caviar was great. They are listening and responding very well and will only get better as some of them get more experience onboard - some are new to the sea but I think they’ve come from other service based facilities as they certainly have the customer service skills

Service

The crew are providing great service and are so keen to make sure the guest experience is good - I feel they’re going that extra mile. Senior staff are visible and keen to engage. I’ve run into many of them, including the head of food and beverage, and they seem genuinely interested in hearing feedback 

The lobby staff are helpful and take ownership of issues 

Ships Facilities 

Wow - just wow! Magnificent hardware across the board with every mod con. A few bugs to iron out - the PA system is a little loud and trust me the emergency alarm is loud and clear - my feeling is the volume could go down a notch - but better to be heard than not of course 

We continue to explore and discover but it’s easy to find things and the lifts are the biggest we’ve ever seen on a ship - and they have controls on either side of the lift - very impressive 

She sails well and we slept like babies with no noises at all (some have reported creaking but I’ve not heard anything like that)

The Explora App which has a ton of information works well on board and the Skylink internet is fantastic with reliable and very fast speeds - if it holds up to initial experiences it will be a major win over what we’ve had on other lines. Plus each guest (not suite - so two guests get up to 6 devices) can have 3 devices connected simultaneously- more than enough to cater for most guests 

Entertainment

Here I include things like speakers, band and singers as well as activities like Trivia

All very good - I went to a destination lecture yesterday and the speaker was knowledgeable and entertaining. The theatre/lounge is well equiped and has nice relaxed seating. Last night the band and singers were very good as they presented a showcase preview. I was very pleased to hear modern songs including a Taylor Swift song - it’s great they’re singing material from recent times along with classic eras. The live band were very good and it’s nice to have things like trumpet and other woodwind instruments present in the mix

I know they’ve got some great guest artists scheduled like Rachel York who has appeared on other luxury lines and last leg they had the McDonald brothers who we’ve heard on Crystal

The signs are positive in things area 

Not sure where to fit this comment in so here goes - fellow guests who contribute to the culture and vibe of the cruise - my feeling is they are well travelled and well mannered - our interactions with fellow guests have been fun and entertaining, most have travelled other luxury lines multiple times and enjoy a chat. There are a good number of non English speaking guests on board - so conversations with them are limited but the smiles on their faces suggest to me they’re enjoying themselves too 

I could go on but suffice to say first impressions are very good and we’re looking forward to the next couple of weeks onboard 

So is it perfect? Of course not - no line is but every sign says to me that Explora are keen to try to make guests experience top class - and they may just pull it off 

One negative and I think it’s about our only one was a brusque crew member whose manner was not friendly or helpful (I emphasis this was only 1 interaction among what must have been over a 100 so far) - she basically argued with my wife and I rather than listening to what we were telling her - we’ve never had a crew member talk to us like children and we told other crew that we won’t accept that going forward. It was the only thing that detracted from day 1 onboard for us 

Today we will be in Akureyri and we’re hiring a car to explore - but we’re also looking forward to more time onboard and getting to experience more 

Throw us any questions and I’ll be happy to try and answer them 

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Critically Cruising said:

Love to hear as i board in Canada. Thanks much

2 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Hello fellow insomniac - it’s 4.30am onboard now so I see you posted at around 2am 

If you’re ok with it would you mind if I join you in posting impressions and experiences onboard from Reykjavik to New York over the next couple of weeks - rather then starting another thread on the same voyage?

Twenty four hours in and we’re absolutely happy with our onboard experience - for us food, service, the ship’s facilities and entertainment are the important factors and Explora is scoring highly on all four

Food 

We’ve dined at Emporium - great concept with various themed stations where they serve you rather than a self service buffet - it’s our go to for lunch but I’ve talked to others who also dine there at night 

We went to Sakura the first night - absolutely fantastic - our comparison being with Crystal's Nobu restaurant Umi Uma - Sakura is in our opinion equal or better - in fact we only had sushi and sashimi dishes and were too full for main courses although most of my companions did have desserts 😉). We will need to return several times to work our way through the extensive menu

We spent time in Crema cafe and were impressed with the coffee (Ily) and the food including a great toasted panini 

Last night we had dinner in Fil Rouge - the caviar and lobster were perfect and our friend who is a foie gras lover was happy with his appetiser - every dish our group of 5 had was a winner

The wait staff and sommeliers are very good and communicate well and respond to requests well - and example was last night one friend wanted some cheese during the early courses - they brought it without issue, someone wanted more caviar which had been part of an appetiser - they said no we can’t serve just the caviar but we’d be delighted to serve you the appetiser and of course you may not choose to eat it all 😉) - the caviar was great. They are listening and responding very well and will only get better as some of them get more experience onboard - some are new to the sea but I think they’ve come from other service based facilities as they certainly have the customer service skills

Service

The crew are providing great service and are so keen to make sure the guest experience is good - I feel they’re going that extra mile. Senior staff are visible and keen to engage. I’ve run into many of them, including the head of food and beverage, and they seem genuinely interested in hearing feedback 

Ships Facilities 

Wow - just wow! Magnificent hardware across the board with every mod con. A few bugs to iron out - the PA system is a little loud and trust me the emergency alarm is loud and clear - my feeling is the volume could go down a notch - but better to be heard than not of course 

We continue to explore and discover but it’s easy to find things and the lifts are the biggest we’ve ever seen on a ship - and they have controls on either side of the lift - very impressive 

She sails well and we slept like babies with no noises at all (some have reported creaking but I’ve not heard anything like that)

The Explora App which has a ton of information works well on board and the Skylink internet is fantastic with reliable and very fast speeds - if it holds up to initial experiences it will be a major win over what we’ve had on other lines. Plus each guest (not suite - so two guests get up to 6 devices) can have 3 devices connected simultaneously- more than enough to cater for most guests 

Entertainment

Here I include things like speakers, band and singers as well as activities like Trivia

All very good - I went to a destination lecture yesterday and the speaker was knowledgeable and entertaining. The theatre/lounge is well equiped and has nice relaxed seating. Last night the band and singers were very good as they presented a showcase preview. I was very pleased to hear modern songs including a Taylor Swift song - it’s great they’re singing material from recent times along with classic eras. The live band were very good and it’s nice to have things like trumpet and other woodwind instruments present in the mix

I know they’ve got some great guest artists scheduled like Rachel York who has appeared on other luxury lines and last leg they had the McDonald brothers who we’ve heard on Crystal

Not sure where to fit this comment in so here goes - fellow guests who contribute to the culture and vibe of the cruise - my feeling is they are well travelled and well mannered - our interactions with fellow guests have been fun and entertaining, most have travelled other luxury lines multiple times and enjoy a chat. There are a good number of non English speaking guests on board - so conversations with them are limited but the smiles on their faces suggest to me they’re enjoying themselves too 

I could go on but suffice to say first impressions are very good and we’re looking forward to the next couple of weeks onboard 

So is it perfect? Of course not - no line is but every sign says to me that Explora are keen to try to make guests experience top class - and they may just pull it off 

One negative and I think it’s about our only one was a brusque crew member whose manner was not friendly or helpful (I emphasis this was only 1 interaction among what must have been over a 100 so far) - she basically argued with my wife and I rather than listening to what we were telling her - we’ve never had a crew member talk to us like children and we told other crew that we won’t accept that going forward. It was the only thing that detracted from day 1 onboard for us 

Today we will be in Akureyri and we’re hiring a car to explore - but we’re also looking forward to more time onboard and getting to experience more 

OMG HOW NICE TO HEAR GOOD THINGS!  You are wonderful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mmmmm69 said:

Hi

I joined in Rekyavic

i read all the comment before joining and had a nagging fee lining they weren’t all cracked up to be what they were

I have only traveled on few ships but importantly while not as high brow as others have traveled on MSC in yacht club so new that the ship would follow the same line

maybe the yacht club theme needed up grading some to make a full ship and compete in the market but I believe they are making a new market

People making comments were Seabourn, Regent die hards who frankly probably like to be constantly reminded of how fabulous they were

Most of us who know our worth don’t need the captain, chief engineer asking us if we are having a great trip

we are with friends who are serial round the world or 90 day here and there Seabourn etc but are down to earth , even dare I say American and they think the food is better than the ships they go in

we had meals today that were sublime especially the dining in Sakura with the sun set

not sure why others criticised the music because the individuals they have together for the lounge show are all experienced and for me this evening fab

in a good suite so more privileged than others but it’s spacious and swallowed up 4 cases of luggage( spending a week in New England)

can’t wait for tomorrows adventure then to return to the embrace of understated luxury and under familiarity unless courted

night night

Lovely 

Food 

Service

Ships Facilities 

Entertainment

Fantastic to hear and much appreciated 

Food 

Service

Ships Facilities 

Entertainment

Stickman

Will you be on board for the Quebec to New York portion If so would  love to meet up 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

A: Any with hip designers.  Hooks and bars ruin the clean lines in advertising photos, and – horror! – customers come in and totally destroy the esthetic by spreading their belongings everywhere!  🤣

This is in reference to the laundry room.  Yes, there are places for hangers in the suite, but not a one in a facility where one would expect to hang clothes.

So, you had best be ready to only iron one garment at a time, otherwise it now gets put over a chair while you do the second one.

Hello- we are booked in January and I am enjoying your comments.  However, apart from the OP and Stickman, who have clearly stated that they are onboard, it’s hard for me to be clear who is speaking from experience cruising on this ship, vs. not.  Correctly or not, we are regarding Explora as a new line and not judging them based on whatever the economy line of MSC did or didn’t do in the past.  Sure, we can all chip in and debate about what might be, just for fun, but the only informed opinions are from people who have experienced the ship.

Can anyone post part of the “included” wine list? My DH and I are both very serious about wine.  We do not judge by price but rather by quality and enjoyment.  Our greatest thrill is discovering underpriced wines from lesser-known producers, small farms and “unfamous” wine regions.  Frankly I would rather drink an excellent grower producer wine from Portugal or Chile that cost $15 than a $1500 champagne produced by a factory and priced according to the strength of its marketing.  If the wine on board is tasty, diverse enough to match appropriately with the food they are serving, and included in the price, I will be happy.  The worst thing for me is if they stock all the overpriced, overly alcoholic California things that those with more money than taste insist on ordering to “impress” their equally pompous business associates - you can probably guess some of the wines of which I am thinking.  

I noticed on their website that there seem to be a lot of smoking areas scattered around the ship…. starboard and port, fore and aft…. have you been bothered by smoking everywhere? This is a big worry for me and my family as we are health conscious and never around smokers in our home life so really don’t want to turn what should be a getaway from unhealthy stress into an even more unhealthy environment.  Thanks

• Like 3

I think that the dress is casual and it is related to the chilly temperatures. I don't leave my cabin without a sweatshirt or down jacket and my hat in case I intend to go outdoors. As most of the ports and excursions have required warm/wet weather gear it is most simple to continue wearing that throughout the day.  I brought a suitcase with dresses and skirts for evenings, but I am too cold to even contemplate baring my legs or arms as I normally would. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We’re just off Greenland and look who came to play for us last night 

Excuse my photography but it was a pretty good display (they interrupted the show to tell us they were visible - needless to say the theatre emptied quickly 

Hopefully we get to see more while we’re up in Greenland for the next few days 

IMG_3662.thumb.jpeg.0d6c4b30d2df54508f54fa92c78d52e5.jpeg

IMG_3668.thumb.jpeg.d649599abfde13a047e9e58c350c6053.jpeg

IMG_3656.thumb.jpeg.76d1ff521ce562310b8f4b1b31d17b18.jpeg

• Like 11

We are on a later cruise (Quebec to Miami) and have been extremely frustrated by the company's website and their lack of knowledge to our telephone inquiries with regards to their excursions. I have read all the reviews from previous sailings (which were very mixed to say the least). Does anyone onboard have any comments about Explora's excursions? We are familiar with outside companies. If that is our better alternative, we would like to know.

3 hours ago, artbcpa said:

We are on a later cruise (Quebec to Miami) and have been extremely frustrated by the company's website and their lack of knowledge to our telephone inquiries with regards to their excursions. I have read all the reviews from previous sailings (which were very mixed to say the least). Does anyone onboard have any comments about Explora's excursions? We are familiar with outside companies. If that is our better alternative, we would like to know.

Happy Friday!!!

My stock answer is to ALWAYS use CruiseCritic’s parent company , TripAdvisor, and get an independent tour.

EJ’s tours might be good but you would truly be Guinea Pigs in the matter!

For Halifax and St. John, might I suggest renting a car for the day? In Halifax, you could easily drive to Peggy’s Cove and Lunenburg at your own pace and stop and eat where you wish. If the weather’s terrible, you could simply cancel at no cost!

Similarly, some GORGEOUS drives out of St. John …. The city itself is …. Fine. (I’m being polite towards my fellow Canadians!)

I’ve done this numerous times on my Canada - New England cruises.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, artbcpa said:

I can attest to their excursions, as my husband and I were on the August 8th sailing Reykjavik to Copenhagen…….we loved our cruise and booked another while on board. I think the quality of the ship, the crew and the food is outstanding and I hate that others are stating otherwise previously, but everyone has their opinion.  Anyway, with recent onboard commentary, it seems like what we experienced is being communicated more.  There is improvements to make, but it’s a brand new ship and I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt.

As for the excursions, they are extremely expensive and overpriced for what they are.  If you are able, you should absolutely book your own excursions outside of the ship. I booked two excursions that cost a total of $1500 and I know for a fact if I could have booked directly with the carrier they would have cost 1/3 of this cost, at the most. I did try to book independently, but, in Iceland there are far a few excursions to choose from and I actually had a private excursion cancelled a week before our journey so I had to book with Explora. If you are in area that you feel comfortable booking your own excursions I would absolutely do it on your own. Explora’s excursions seem to be the same but at a triple cost to you.  This is one of my criticisms of the cruise line. I loved most everything else as I do not want to be coddled and catered to, I just want excellent food and great service. They have work to do,  but overall, I felt it was an excellent trip for the price.  If they can offer 7 day trips at 1k per two passenger, I am all in. I love the 7 day itineraries as we still work and love to combine a land trip with our cruising, so 4-5 days on land with the air travel time works perfectly for us for 2 week vacation.  We are in our 50’s and 60’s out of Southern California so getting to Europe is not cheap if you want the whole trip to be luxury, which I do. We just need the business class airfare to come down in price so we can afford these luxury cruises and the airfare to get to them. The airfare is just as must as the cruise most cases these days. 

• Like 4

The casino is quite small and I think it has 3 tables (poker I think) and roulette. Maybe 20 slot machines. They were friendly when I went in to check it out. I think it was $25 a hand minimum. 

I didn’t see a table tennis anywhere that I can remember. 

19 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

We continue to have an absolutely amazing time on Explora 

Tonight the lights came out to play for us once again 

IMG_4226.thumb.jpeg.cd8beb26708fd15ae610704bd9caf10b.jpeg

IMG_4232.thumb.jpeg.0f6f4e82a8e8db49e160a0bb5ea0e7cd.jpeg

IMG_4237.thumb.jpeg.d88b2550aff9eaf3da15dee5977d8cb8.jpeg

Causing issues with my HF radio communications -- another K5 geomagnetic storm yesterday and today.

Enjoy the show should be magnificent tonight.

• Like 2