Nespresso pods

marylovestotravel

13 minutes ago, marylovestotravel said:

Is there a choice of Nespresso pods available.

We like a dark roast coffee, which isn't to everyone's taste.

Mia

Our experience with the Nespresso pods is that on each cruise we've had (many), you get:

Decaf:  num10 strength

Caf:  num 4 strength

Since at home we prefer strong coffee and use 10 to 13 for coffee, we always bring our own pods of caffeinated that are strong, since the 4 is too weak for us.  Decaf is just fine.

Everyone's tastes will be different.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Meander Ingwa said:

Do the machines they use have a specific type pod or are Nespresso pods universal across their machine line?  I am NOT a 4 level coffee drinker, more likely to want to take it to 11 ( LOL)

There are two types of Nespresso pods and each has its own machine.

The ones in the room are "original" line and is typically espresso (around 2 oz)

The other type is Vertuo and is typically 8 oz but can be higher or lower.

Original pods won't work in Vertuo machines, and Vertuo pods won't work in original machines. 

K-cup type pods won't work in either machine. 

FWIW, I went to the buffet and used the coffee machine, with a 2X double espresso mixed with an Americano (for volume).  Worked for me, and I like strong coffee. 

52 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Our experience with the Nespresso pods is that on each cruise we've had (many), you get:

Since at home we prefer strong coffee and use 10 to 13 for coffee, we always bring our own pods of caffeinated that are strong, since the 4 is too weak for us.  Decaf is just fine.

Thanks.

Mia

Yes, they are original Nespresso pods.  We have an original (not Vertuoso) machine, about 5 years old, so we get the original pods (not the sort of flat oval ones).  We take about 6 sleeves for a 2 week cruise of 13, 12, 11 strong strength like Kazar.   Works great!!

We love getting up, fixing our nespresso coffee, having it in bed in the morning.  No getting out of the room and trooping upstairs.  

5 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Is there a possibility of requesting different pods?

52 minutes ago, marylovestotravel said:

Not in my experience.  I used the Nespresso machine regularly on the world cruise during my Covid arrest.  I was able to get more pods, but not different pods.  At one point, I was kicking myself about not getting some dark roasts in pods before we left.  I definitely will the next time.

On a related topic I’ve been trying to get my husband to use a coffee machine for years without success. However, he really took to the machine in a room on Saturn, but I can’t find online that exact model.  I’m not sure he’s ready to be retrained on another model so can anybody point me in the direction of a nespresso model that is a simple pop the pod in and it makes the coffee  I can always keep the water topped up for him!!!

1 hour ago, uktog said:

On a related topic I’ve been trying to get my husband to use a coffee machine for years without success. However, he really took to the machine in a room on Saturn, but I can’t find online that exact model.  I’m not sure he’s ready to be retrained on another model so can anybody point me in the direction of a nespresso model that is a simple pop the pod in and it makes the coffee  I can always keep the water topped up for him!!!

I have a Nespresso Pixie machine which is pretty close to the Viking model.  For some reason they no longer stock Pixie machines in the Nespresso Boutiques but stock them in John Lewis.  Had my machine years and couldn’t function without it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, wine-wine-wine said:

The coffee prepared in the Living Room bar is, to my mind, the best on the ship. Real espresso machine. I make the sacrifice for DW each morning. 🥱

Yes I agree as that is where I go for the best coffee...because I am an early riser & have to get out of the room so my husband can sleep. Sometimes though I go to the Explorer lounge & they have coffee & juice on the bar in early am...its quiet & has that awesome view & fireplace! I can relax & read my book in pure luxury! On the Polaris, our upcoming cruise, I will have to figure out my new space, as it looks like a little different layout. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, marylovestotravel said:

No, they have only the black caffeinated pods and the decaf pods; I think the caffeinated are more like a strength of 7 though, not 4, but of course I could be mistaken. In the original Nespresso line, the strongest pods are black and are Ristretto, which are a strength of 10. The ones on the ship are black, but I don't *think* they're Ristretto.

I've been using a Nespresso since the early 90s, and my favorite pods are the Roma, which are a strength of 8. I always bring a few sleeves of Roma pods, and I also tell the room steward not to leave any decafs since we won't use them.

We're headed on the Grand European river cruise in 3 weeks for our 2nd time, and sadly there won't be a machine in the room. The ship has a huge Nespresso machine that uses powders (someone opened it to show me how it works), and they're not at all the same; fortunately, the bar has an espresso machine though, and I was never charged.

I broke down and got a Keurig.  I was a French Press / Pour thru Melita for years and have grown tired of the coffee ground mess.  I find I drink slightly more coffee than before.  I considered Nespresso but find the purchase of pods ( direct stores and on line) and price point a little to precious.

1 hour ago, gma1 said:

Yes I agree as that is where I go for the best coffee...because I am an early riser & have to get out of the room so my husband can sleep. Sometimes though I go to the Explorer lounge & they have coffee & juice on the bar in early am...its quiet & has that awesome view & fireplace! I can relax & read my book in pure luxury! On the Polaris, our upcoming cruise, I will have to figure out my new space, as it looks like a little different layout. 

I agree with your post totally. We were just on the Octantis and could find no equal to the Living Room coffee. The machine on the Second deck came close, and there were usually snacks as well. Would love to know other people’s thoughts.

6 hours ago, longterm said:

No, they have only the black caffeinated pods and the decaf pods; I think the caffeinated are more like a strength of 7 though, not 4, but of course I could be mistaken. In the original Nespresso line, the strongest pods are black and are Ristretto, which are a strength of 10. The ones on the ship are black, but I don't *think* they're Ristretto.

I've been using a Nespresso since the early 90s, and my favorite pods are the Roma, which are a strength of 8. I always bring a few sleeves of Roma pods, and I also tell the room steward not to leave any decafs since we won't use them.

We're headed on the Grand European river cruise in 3 weeks for our 2nd time, and sadly there won't be a machine in the room. The ship has a huge Nespresso machine that uses powders (someone opened it to show me how it works), and they're not at all the same; fortunately, the bar has an espresso machine though, and I was never charged.

Long term - we are very aware of the Nespresso pods on Viking Ocean (not river).  We actually have one at home quite similar to the Viking one and use it daily.  In all of our 12 Ocean cruises, it has ALWAYS been only as follows:

Decaf:  level 10

Caf:  level 4

No changes and no chance of anything else.  We've asked (and looked every time).  Not a big deal.  We just bring sleeves that we like.  They are the "ORIGINAL" pods and not the "VIRTUO".  We like the strong Kazaar (level 12). But anything 10 or great is great.  And we also love Ristretto. 

My guess is that the '4' Caffeinated pods are either Cosi or Volutto.  Guessing the Decaf is Ristretto Decaf (10) since it is the only decaf '10'.

For those interested in this in more detail:

https://www.nespresso.com/us/en/original-coffee-pods

image.png.f259ba3c8429f4e77c63b5645b138d89.pngimage.png.f2207ccc0feda6eef5c7216b096d350a.png

Edited by CCWineLover

55 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

We've always asked and no, they don't carry anything else in inventory.  So bring your own!!

Shame! Here's an opportunity for Viking to up its game. Surprising as there are a lot of Europeans onboard, never mind coffee culture in the rest of the world. 

Perhaps head office or guest services should get a heads up.

Mia

I  absolutely love coffee. I grind my own beans every morning for my morning coffee at home.  I always have them remove the Nespresso machine. My sister and I need that space in a DV cabin.

always get our morning coffee in the Living room. my sister works out everyday at 6am and bring me a to go cup when she get back to room. Then I have my cappuccino later in morning  in Living Room. 

Edited by Azulann

4 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

Sorry if this is a bit off topic. I prefer iced coffee, black. Not the coffee shop 2000 calorie melted ice cream versions. Is it available anywhere on the ship? I suppose I can make it with the Nespresso machine if not. Just request ice delivery?

They made cad tea from hot tea, I imagine they’d do similarly for iced coffee.  Worst case, maybe get several shots of spares so in the machine in World Cafe and add ice?

We use a French press at home and locally roasted coffee beans.  I know we go through a pound of beans in a little over a week, so for us it is not a cheap habit.  I was surprised at how much I did like coffee from the Nespresso machine in the room.  I had assumed it was similar to the Keurigs, which don’t impress me in the least.  

I now know I need to pick up some dark roast Nespresso pods for our next trip.  While DH is frequently willing to do a coffee run to the Living Room, I’m not!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Long term - we are very aware of the Nespresso pods on Viking Ocean (not river).  We actually have one at home quite similar to the Viking one and use it daily.  In all of our 12 Ocean cruises, it has ALWAYS been only as follows:

Decaf:  level 10

Caf:  level 4

No changes and no chance of anything else.  We've asked (and looked every time).  Not a big deal.  We just bring sleeves that we like.  They are the "ORIGINAL" pods and not the "VIRTUO".  We like the strong Kazaar (level 12). But anything 10 or great is great.  And we also love Ristretto. 

My guess is that the '4' Caffeinated pods are either Cosi or Volutto.  Guessing the Decaf is Ristretto Decaf (10) since it is the only decaf '10'.

For those interested in this in more detail:

https://www.nespresso.com/us/en/original-coffee-pods

image.png.f259ba3c8429f4e77c63b5645b138d89.pngimage.png.f2207ccc0feda6eef5c7216b096d350a.png

I have 2 like the ones used on ocean ships, and 3 others as well; river ships don't use room Nespresso machines, but the large machine that is always available and is automated, and which uses powders, is actually made by Nespresso.

According to Nespresso's site, Ristretto pods are a strength of 10; I don't know anything about the decaf pods because I've never tried them.

I don't know of any Nespresso branded pods that are black and have a strength of 4, which would be really weak; perhaps Viking gets some custom-made, but I seriously doubt it.

I asked on one of our cruises if they ever got other pods, and was told that the 2 that they provide are the only ones they stocked; I assume this is still the case.

I’ll see your Fresh Ground Coffee and raise you Home Roasted Coffee. Once you try it, you’ll never want anything else. Tasting fresh custom roasted single varietal beans grown in a micro climate is pure bliss.

https://www.roastmasters.com

BTW “strength” has nothing to do with roast or color. The finer the grind, the stronger the coffee. Darker roasts have a different taste because of the amount of carbon, but that is not strength.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2