Mashed Potatoes

Cruising Princess

1 hour ago, Cruising Princess said:

Okay can anyone who has recently sailed and ate in the MDR confirm almost every dish including fish has mashed potatoes?  It appears the current menus have cut back on the side dishes and is very limited. Isn’t rice just as cheap as potatoes?

On the Millennium right now. Hope you like mashed potatoes...

1 hour ago, Cruising Princess said:

Okay can anyone who has recently sailed and ate in the MDR confirm almost every dish including fish has mashed potatoes?  It appears the current menus have cut back on the side dishes and is very limited. Isn’t rice just as cheap as potatoes?

The mashed potatoes are actually quite good.  Better than the pizza IMO.  I like them at nearly every meal.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hcat said:

late to the Mashed Potato issue.

Are they made on ship by mashing real pitatoes or is it  pre- made, add liquid???

The mashed potatoes are not like the ones I have had at home that have the consistency of wallpaper paste.  I am not sure if they were made right on board but they tasted like real mashed potatoes.  

As an alternative, I have ordered a baked potato or asked for fingerlings.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, canloan said:

On the Millennium right now. Hope you like mashed potatoes...

Will be on Millenium 10/12.  Is the app correct for the MDR your transpacific cruise?

If yes it looks like some of the regular menu items are gone like lamb shank, beef short ribs, rack of lamb, etc?   Just thinking that the menu on the app for your cruise will basically be the same for our 12 night Best of Japan on 10/12.

Really would be disappointing if those items are part of the menu changes.

Thanks for your feedback….I like mashed potatoes but not every night!

Bob

19 hours ago, Cruising Princess said:

Tell your servers what you would prefer and in our experience they will accommodate that. First night on our recent cruise we let the servers know we like broccoli then every night after that it was provided despite it not being on the menu.

51 minutes ago, 360Guy said:

Will be on Millenium 10/12.  Is the app correct for the MDR your transpacific cruise?

If yes it looks like some of the regular menu items are gone like lamb shank, beef short ribs, rack of lamb, etc?   Just thinking that the menu on the app for your cruise will basically be the same for our 12 night Best of Japan on 10/12.

Really would be disappointing if those items are part of the menu changes.

Thanks for your feedback….I like mashed potatoes but not every night!

Bob

Yes, so far the menus in the App are correct for our 09/15 Trans-Pacific cruise on the Millennium. We are only on day 3 though:)

For our cruise, the actual menus for the 14 days were not loaded into the App until during the night of Sept 14th/early morning of the 15th.

The menus themselves are definitely not as good as they were when we were on the Millennium for 14 days in May.

Edited by canloan
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, canloan said:

Yes, so far the menus in the App are correct for our 09/15 Trans-Pacific cruise on the Millennium. We are only on day 3 though:)

For our cruise, the actual menus for the 14 days were not loaded into the App until during the night of Sept 14th/early morning of the 15th.

The menus themselves are definitely not as good as they were when we were on the Millennium for 14 days in May.

Thank you canloan….yes that is what we are seeing also,  we booked this cruise about 18 months ago and survived the ship switch with a number of folks on our roll call getting cancelled.   And we booked before a lot of changes both pricing and food, etc.  We just made Elite Plus which now seems like free 2x laundry/pp is the real perk.   We’ve booked a Viking River, Crystal (yikes $$$) and an Azamara for 2025.  Need to try some others.  This cruise will be a test of sorts.

Seems like food in the MDR has taken a real hit in terms of offerings that were standards for many years.  Sad as I looked forward to them.

Hoping the sailing you are on is going well…Millenium is a lovely ship…we were last on her in October of 2021 with 700 total passengers…..something we will never experience again and it was just wonderful all around.

Thanks for posting...Nothing I would eat.   Some odd choices..spices used to enhance lower cuts?

Maybe I'd try plain salmon with Caulifllower cheese (?)  and buttered potatoes .  soups/ salads/ apps?

Plainer the better..that's why we prefer BLU!

hope you post after dinner with your thoughts

35 minutes ago, NeroliGirl said:

Currently on the Silhouette, day 10 of a 13-night cruise. 
Mashed potatoes do feature heavily on the MDR menu, but there’s quite a wide choice of other options. 
Here’s a screenshot of tonight’s dinner menu (taken from the app). 
IMG_4827.thumb.jpeg.7e689011b11badff1887076f43e87991.jpegIMG_4828.thumb.jpeg.bad1a843273059beeb61c2010ff427be.jpeg

Thanks for posting this.  I very much doubted that ALL entrees came with mashed potatoes

1 hour ago, NeroliGirl said:

Mashed potatoes do feature heavily on the MDR menu, but there’s quite a wide choice of other options. 

Thanks. The menus @Stockjock posted from their cruise also didn't have mashed potatoes with every entree either. I'm not a potatoes fan anyway. Like in the past I won't eat them. I'll order something else if I feel I need something to replace them. Not always. Could be worse, all entrees could be served with mushy peas. 🤢

4 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Last month on the Equinox every dish except when we ordered pasta had mashed potatoes and the portions were minuscule, maybe a shot glass full.

I always ask for double mashed potatoes. That solves the small portion problem.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, NeroliGirl said:

IMG_4827.thumb.jpeg.7e689011b11badff1887076f43e87991.jpegIMG_4828.thumb.jpeg.bad1a843273059beeb61c2010ff427be.jpeg

I dunno about mashed spuds but Yorkshire Pudding with every meal sounds absolutely champion to me.👍

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 9:31 AM, NeroliGirl said:

Mashed on only 2 of 8 entree options 🙂
Amazing how some turn 25% into 100% when they whine. 🙂
Looks like a nice MDR menu for the evening.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2