Is this a good price for New Zealand (7,569.16 USD 10 day OV)? Are there discount codes I should look out for or track down?

rrdr78

I have no idea if this is a good price or not for this 10 NIGHT NEW ZEALAND Departing From Auckland, New Zealand Aboard: Celebrity Edge in Feb 2023. There are a total of 4 of us sailing and we plan to say in ocean view cabins. These prices were directly from Celebrity's website. Is there a better site to shop for this cruise or a discount code I can track down for additional savings?  Thank you. 

First and Second Guest Total
$4,090.00 x 2

Third and Forth Guest Total
$4,090.00 x 2
Discounts

Non-Refundable 75% Off 2nd and 4th Guest Discount
-$4,868.00 x 2
OBCOVERLAY NRD ($100.00 to spend Onboard) x 2
Dining

Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner included at select venues
Main Dining Time - 08:30 PM

Taxes & Fees

Taxes, Fees, and Port Expenses
$472.58 x 2

Trip Total
$3,784.58 USD x 2
Minimum Deposit
$900.00 USD x 2

Balance due November 17, 2023
$2,884.58 USD x 2

Total Taxes & Fees

$945.16 USD

Trip Total

$7,569.16 USD

Minimum Deposit

$1,800.00 USD

$5,769.16 USD

So almost 8k for a 10 night cruise for 2 in an OV cabin. No mention of wifi or drinks or excursions. Do pay as you go?  Then there is the matter of airfare which I’m guessing will be costly. Honestly, it seems like a lot of money and you’re not even in a balcony stateroom. I would shop around a bit before committing. 

We recently booked a 10 night cruise on Regent. The itinerary goes from Venice and ends in Rome. We are in a deluxe verandah suite. Everything is included: business class airfare, premium drinks, wifi, gratuities, unlimited excursions, specialty dining, thermal area, minibar, pre/post hotel stay, airport transfers. All in, $16k. I guess you have to ask yourself, how much will you end up paying after you factor in all the other expenses?

• Like 2

That looks high to me but then I realized this is for four people. Maybe wait until a 40% off each guest sale however it does look like this cruise is selling well and only a couple oceanview rooms left, you might just need to book and hope to reprice later. 

also looks like the celebrity website is looking more and more like Royal’s. 

Edited by tigervixxxen

15 minutes ago, tigervixxxen said:

That looks high to me but then I realized this is for four people. Maybe wait until a 40% off each guest sale however it does look like this cruise is selling well and only a couple oceanview rooms left, you might just need to book and hope to reprice later. 

also looks like the celebrity website is looking more and more like Royal’s. 

Didn’t realize it was for 4 people. Seems a little more palatable but still no mention of any other inclusions. Those things add up quickly. 

I ran some scenarios on the Celebrity website and worked out it was for:

2 x Specific oceanviews, for 2 people each, as a cruise only fare.

BUT, right now only 1 specific is still available and the other is a guarantee. But also means the cost is ~$600 lower @$6962.16 (or $1200 lower if you choose 2 x guarantees, which I'd suggest would be a better choice right now since you can't get both beside each other and don't know where they will be; they may upgrade both to be similar or together). The guarantee is knocking $600 off your price of each cabin, which is the best discount around.

As for the key question - price - the general price has been fairly consistent for most of its 2 year sales, and only now with the guarantee available is at its lowest price. So yes, if that's the cabin/sailing you want, given there are only (1?) OV cabin left and it is available at a cheaper guarantee right now is a good time to buy. It's unlikely to fall further and will shortly be unavailable*. If you do not want a guarantee though, wait for final payment - see * below.

Celebrity doesn't have codes, but you could shop around different cruise travel agents you may be able to get some extra bonus thrown in, if you're lucky and hurry. Price is unlikely to be any cheaper though.

*Note: around final payment 10-17 Nov some cabins will likely be released by people cancelling. Based on numbers remaining I doubt this will cause price to change much, but it will see some cabins returned if you want to wait to select specific ones.

This looks really, really high to me for an ocean view, but I haven't looked at current prices.  Our balcony on RCI last year for a 12 night to New Zealand from Sydney was quite a bit less than this, even with taxes and fees, grats and wifi.  We sailed in March.

I makes a big difference if you are including a drinks, etc. package.  We rarely drink so we just do the cruise only fare.  I think it would pay you to shop around a little at various online agencies, which we are not allowed to mention here., but will show up if you Google this itinerary.

2 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Only you can determine if it’s a good price or not. If It was my money I wouldn’t be soliciting advice from perfect strangers who’s financial situation might be drastically different than yours, and have nothing at risk with their opinion.

I respectfully disagree. In my opinion, a good price would be considered a price that is substantially below the typical price paid or the average price most folks pay over X amount of time.

An extreme example, if a widget typically sells for $1000 new at costco and they are running a one day sale where the widget is priced at $300, I think most people would say that is a good deal on a widget that typically sells for $1000.  

If other people booked an ocean view cabin for $2500 for the same sailing dates, then I would like to know how they got that rate, was there a discount code from AAA, booked through costco, booked through A1 travel agent, ect.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

This looks really, really high to me for an ocean view, but I haven't looked at current prices.  Our balcony on RCI last year for a 12 night to New Zealand from Sydney was quite a bit less than this, even with taxes and fees, grats and wifi.  We sailed in March.

I makes a big difference if you are including a drinks, etc. package.  We rarely drink so we just do the cruise only fare.  I think it would pay you to shop around a little at various online agencies, which we are not allowed to mention here., but will show up if you Google this itinerary.

Thanks for the heads up. Our price is the basic package, just ocean view, no wifi, drinks, ect. 

6 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

I ran some scenarios on the Celebrity website and worked out it was for:

2 x Specific oceanviews, for 2 people each, as a cruise only fare.

BUT, right now only 1 specific is still available and the other is a guarantee. But also means the cost is ~$600 lower @$6962.16 (or $1200 lower if you choose 2 x guarantees, which I'd suggest would be a better choice right now since you can't get both beside each other and don't know where they will be; they may upgrade both to be similar or together). The guarantee is knocking $600 off your price of each cabin, which is the best discount around.

As for the key question - price - the general price has been fairly consistent for most of its 2 year sales, and only now with the guarantee available is at its lowest price. So yes, if that's the cabin/sailing you want, given there are only (1?) OV cabin left and it is available at a cheaper guarantee right now is a good time to buy. It's unlikely to fall further and will shortly be unavailable*. If you do not want a guarantee though, wait for final payment - see * below.

Celebrity doesn't have codes, but you could shop around different cruise travel agents you may be able to get some extra bonus thrown in, if you're lucky and hurry. Price is unlikely to be any cheaper though.

*Note: around final payment 10-17 Nov some cabins will likely be released by people cancelling. Based on numbers remaining I doubt this will cause price to change much, but it will see some cabins returned if you want to wait to select specific ones.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply, much appreciated. 

14 minutes ago, rrdr78 said:

Thanks for the heads up. Our price is the basic package, just ocean view, no wifi, drinks, ect. 

Of course it also matters if you are flexible and date and itinerary and cruise line.  If a specific cruise is almost booked than the price normally goes way up.  If you have to have this particular cruise, it is still worth it to browse travel sites.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

I had the following booked for AUS/NZ/TP for April and May of 2024 on Edge for 2 people:

12 nt. NZ in an SV for $7096.81 with AI

9 nt. NZ in an SV for $5897.58 with AI

18 nt. TP in an SV for $9425.62 with AI

This does not include OBC/shareholder credit.

Edited by Lastdance

9 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Only you can determine if it’s a good price or not. If It was my money I wouldn’t be soliciting advice from perfect strangers who’s financial situation might be drastically different than yours, and have nothing at risk with their opinion.

Disagree. People can evaluate all the various factors given here and decide whether they are worth it. 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 3:35 AM, rrdr78 said:

I have no idea if this is a good price or not for this 10 NIGHT NEW ZEALAND Departing From Auckland, New Zealand Aboard: Celebrity Edge in Feb 2023. There are a total of 4 of us sailing and we plan to say in ocean view cabins. These prices were directly from Celebrity's website. Is there a better site to shop for this cruise or a discount code I can track down for additional savings?  Thank you. 

First and Second Guest Total
$4,090.00 x 2

Third and Forth Guest Total
$4,090.00 x 2
Discounts

Non-Refundable 75% Off 2nd and 4th Guest Discount
-$4,868.00 x 2
OBCOVERLAY NRD ($100.00 to spend Onboard) x 2
Dining

Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner included at select venues
Main Dining Time - 08:30 PM

Taxes & Fees

Taxes, Fees, and Port Expenses
$472.58 x 2

Trip Total
$3,784.58 USD x 2
Minimum Deposit
$900.00 USD x 2

$2,884.58 USD x 2

Total Taxes & Fees

$945.16 USD

Here Trip Total

$7,569.16 USD

Minimum Deposit

$1,800.00 USD

$5,769.16 USD

The price is a bit steep, if you ask me. If you find a better price, please post in this thread. I have acquaintances who are interested in this trip. Of course, if there are still available cabins by then 🙂

Many companies sell cruises; check at least three and see what prices and perks you get.  That will help you determine whether you want to just stay with Celebrity or not.  Usually, I book my cruise when it is first released and look for price drops, but you do not have that opportunity base on the information given.  Once you compare oranges and oranges, then decide if it is a good deal for you for not!  I gave you information above on cruises that I had booked when first released, all for sunset verandas and not OV’s.  This site does not allow for sharing names of companies.

Edited by Lastdance