Do you tip for room service and/or porters that take your luggage?

lisa6191

Some folk's DNA is hard wired to tip. (I am avoiding saying nationalities as I have no desire to see hostilities break out again!).You can advise, clearly state that no tip on board is required, suggest the crew fund, allow for exceptional circumstances," when in Rome" etc. but it will make little difference.

My advice : I think I'll stop there!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2023 at 9:19 PM, reposado said:

Aren't we all mostly receiving excellent service regardless of tipping status? Amenities and services on a ship is not a zero sum game what differences does it make to us what others do with their money? 

I think the concern is that if/when more passengers tip more crew members for service, there are two possible downsides: (1) If enough people do it, it ends up creating some expectation for crew members that they will be tipped, which erodes the policy that tipping is not expected. (2) If people are tipping and getting preferred tables, faster bar service, or more in-room services, then it does use up/tie up those finite resources for other guests, instead of everyone being on a level playing field.

• Like 13

5 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I think the concern is that if/when more passengers tip more crew members for service, there are two possible downsides: (1) If enough people do it, it ends up creating some expectation for crew members that they will be tipped, which erodes the policy that tipping is not expected. (2) If people are tipping and getting preferred tables, faster bar service, or more in-room services, then it does use up/tie up those finite resources for other guests, instead of everyone being on a level playing field.

I think you have hit the nail on the head with both of your points.  While tipping is not required or expected on Seabourn cruises, I have no issue with those who choose to tip at the end of a cruise as a thank you for great service.  Donation to the Crew Fund is also a very good idea.  But, as you say, if the beginning of the cruise tippers DO expect preferential service, it may mean that others will not get the same service.  I get the feeling that the beginning of the cruise tippers think they deserve better service because they are willing to pay extra for it.  Personally, I would be embarrassed to tip at the beginning of a cruise, because I would not want others (including the crew) to see me as pushy, elitist, or demanding. Let's face it, any of us who choose to cruise Seabourn can afford to pass out $100 bills if we choose.  Does that mean we all should?  I think it would affect the atmosphere of the cruise and would not lead to a pleasant experience.  What if all of us were plying the maitre d with large bills at the beginning of the cruise? Could she please all of us, or would there be a bidding war for the "best" tables.  Personally, I find that kind of tipping to be distasteful and not respectful of what Seabourn has tried to achieve for ALL of their passengers.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 12

5 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I always have had excellent service on a Seabourn ship and good tables with extra evenings in certain venues if I have wanted them.

I don't go in with all guns blazing and waving hundred dollar bills in the air or palming the Maitre d' and telling him which table i want every night.

I have been cruising a long time.

So my conclusion is that this brash behaviour doesn't work and those that are doing it are wasting their money to possibly make themselves feel better.

• Like 11

24 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

I always have had excellent service on a Seabourn ship and good tables with extra evenings in certain venues if I have wanted them.

I don't go in with all guns blazing and waving hundred dollar bills in the air or palming the Maitre d' and telling him which table i want every night.

I have been cruising a long time.

So my conclusion is that this brash behaviour doesn't work and those that are doing it are wasting their money to possibly make themselves feel better.

We have always received excellent service as well.  I agree with all that you have said here.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Khareef said:

Most people on board seem to go to dinner 19.00/19.30, so by the time I get there at 20.45 there are plenty of nice tables ...the one .good thing about coming from a late dinner country I guess 🙂 

For some it's not about coming from a late dinner country or an early dinner country.  I know in the case of my late mother, her doctor advised her to have dinner as early as possible due to issues such as heartburn and reflux.  Not something many want to talk about, but we accommodated my mother's needs for years by having dinner extra early when she was dining with us.  I'm sure some of the early diners are dining early for medical reasons.  Let's give them some grace. 

Edited by SLSD

Ok folks, let me see if I can do this without getting in trouble again.

I answered a question as to what we do in regards to tipping.  

And, for clarification purposes, this has nothing to do with getting the best tables in the Restaurant as we never, ever go to the Restaurant.

36 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Just looked at your explanation - sorry, it is just to get better service at the bars, and perhaps at the TK grill, then I  suppose.  I must have mixed up the Grill with the Restaurant.

You can't get better service at the bars or TK Grill.

All that good stuff comes as standard.😁

1 minute ago, LMB01 said:

Ok

That is your opinion 

We have a different one

So now your saying that good service isn't included unless you bribe the barman first?

That's never been how its worked since I've been sailing with Seabourn.

T

It's been twenty seven years now.

I'm not saying don't tip if it's what makes you feel good and what floats your boat.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

We have all read about the occasional couple who seem to be able to dine in the TK grill every evening, haven't we?  And people wondering how they managed it.

I have done it on many occasions but money never changed hands.

I find good manners and a smile gets you where you need to be.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

We have all read about the occasional couple who seem to be able to dine in the TK grill every evening, haven't we?  And people wondering how they managed it.

I enjoy TK Grill but once a trip, twice at most is plenty. It is a limited menu and had not changed in all the time I have been sailing with Seabourn. Why anyone would want to eat there every/most nights beats me but each to their own.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Mr Luxury, you took the words right out of my mouth. A barista once told me that they appreciated people that had manners, treated them with respect and a smile. All things my mother taught me, and it’s a trait understood universally.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mr Luxury said:

And if (good manners and a smile) doesn't then I'd be sailing with a different company.

• Like 5

I've been reading this thread with interest. While I agree tipping in advance for preferential treatment is distasteful and something I will not do on principle, it's also hard to abide long time patrons of a line claiming to receive treatment (e.g. multiple TK seatings, prime table locations, etc.) not generally (let alone always) available to first or second time pax, simply due to good manners and a smile, as though all the money they've spent with the line has no bearing.

To be clear, there's nothing wrong with long time patrons receiving this type preferential treatment, but let's not pretend exchange of money had nothing to do with it or that prior patronage doesn't impart an expectation of treatment akin to (even if it's not in kind to) that of an advance tip.

26 minutes ago, Robisan said:

I've been reading this thread with interest. While I agree tipping in advance for preferential treatment is distasteful and something I will not do on principle, it's also hard to abide long time patrons of a line claiming to receive treatment (e.g. multiple TK seatings, prime table locations, etc.) not generally (let alone always) available to first or second time pax, simply due to good manners and a smile, as though all the money they've spent with the line has no bearing.

To be clear, there's nothing wrong with long time patrons receiving this type preferential treatment, but let's not pretend exchange of money had nothing to do with it or that prior patronage doesn't impart an expectation of treatment akin to (even if it's not in kind to) that of an advance tip.

From past experience if you walk into TK late- and they have had a cancellation or a no show they will give you the table.  

Most times I don't get a table, but the times when I do someone might say I received  preferential treatment not knowing that I was just lucky.   For the record- I have never exchanged money in TK.

7 hours ago, Robisan said:

The thing is that most crew have not  been with Seabourn for that long,yes there are the odd few but generally crew do not know regular sailors.

Money spent over the years by many guests would not feature and I don’t think the crew think like that anyway.

So good manners and a smile with a good attitude might get you that extra booking that you want and for me,  a 20.30 table makes it easier for the host to find a table as many diners have left after their 18.30 booking.

That's a free tip from me 😉

• Like 5