Sky Princess New Production Show

karatemom2

We just returned from a 14 day Med cruise from Southampton on the Sky Princess. We had the best time - gorgeous ship, fantastic ports, excellent food and service, great balcony cabin and wonderful steward, beautiful weather, and plenty of good entertainment - just about as perfect as a cruise can get. But a real added treat was getting to see the premier performance of a brand new production show called "Five Skies". It was so fun and creative! It was based on following a gamer through his virtual gaming experience on his quest to rescue a princess. Now, at first I thought perhaps they had forgotten who their core audience is given there likely weren't many virtual reality video game players in the audience - maybe their grandkids? : ) However, it was really well done, the production values, set, costumes and staging were next level for Princess and the dancing and performances were great. So energetic with good music and overall good singers as well. It was just so nice to see something new and see Princess pushing the boundaries a bit on their production shows. It was a nice addition to Rock Opera and Spotlight Bar, the other two shows running during our cruise which we enjoy, but have seen before. And it was very cool getting to be in the audience for their very first show. Hope this is a trend and we get to see more new shows!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

There's a lot of dislike by older folks of this production show.  According to them, the music is too contemporary and they are unfamiliar with the music.  Most of them have vacated the theatre by the time the One Direction song  "What Make's You Beautiful" and the dance with the illuminated suit costumes comes along.  

Glad you enjoyed it.

Interesting. I see from your comment that it has been out for awhile then. I'm wondering why they presented it to us like it was a brand new premier - maybe it was a new cast or a new show for this group of performers? But regardless, I found it entertaining, but I can see why some might not enjoy it as much. The songs were more contemporary and as I said, not necessarily a storyline that is aligned with an older audience. We thought it was fun and upbeat!

Loved the show! We saw it on the Enchanted last Christmas. The CD was also presenting it to us as a new show and asking us all to have an open mind as it is different from the standard Princess production shows. Maybe they had complaints previously? Nonetheless, I welcome the change. Can’t wait to watch it again on the Sky. 

17 minutes ago, antsp said:

Very confusing post, five sky's was out before the 'pause'   don't get me wrong it great, spotlight bar is the newest show

Maybe the CDs are promoting the show as new in the sense it’s a new format of production (in terms of the theme, music, technology ). As an aside, we loved Spotlight Bar too! 

19 minutes ago, strobellayjam said:

Maybe the CDs are promoting the show as new in the sense it’s a new format of production (in terms of the theme, music, technology ). As an aside, we loved Spotlight Bar too! 

Probably, bit like the new room service they recently launched 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, antsp said:

Very confusing post, five sky's was out before the 'pause'   don't get me wrong it great, spotlight bar is the newest show

Yes, it is confusing. The CD made a giant production of the fact that this was the big premier of a brand new show! I mean he seriously kept saying how lucky we were to be the first to see it?? I had never heard of it so it seemed plausible. I can only assume it was a first for that particular cast? Or first this season? I don’t know. Or he was just trying to make us excited. I’m perplexed. 

Loved 5 Skies last September Trans-Atlantic on the Enchanted Princess. It wasn't on the more recent voyages (other ships).  Maybe it's still rolling out?  Really hoping it stays around. My favorites (in order) are:

1. Secret Silk

2. 5 Skies

3. Rock Opera

Actually love all the shows except Magic to Do & Stardust. Walked out of Magic to Do after 15 minutes & lasted less than that in Stardust. 

Edited by Ombud

33 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Wish they would train more troupes and have newer shows get onto the older ships instead of 10+ year old shows.

I agree but then they would probably charging for the, unless you have the premium package of course. 😉

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

We love it, and we're not the younger generation. 

I'm sure there lots of folks of all ages who love the show but I'm slightly different and couldn't appreciate it. I know it'll be on the Enchanted next cruise so we'll just skip it altogether and leave room for others.