Excursions already sold out?

Tryingtocruise

We are booked on the HA fjord cruise next July.  I was looking at the excursions that are up and a handful are already saying sold out.  Is this possible or have they just not opened reservations yet?  We are probably going to do independent excursions for the most part but we do have excursion credits to use and I'm wondering if I have to book something this early.  Also does it mean I should book the independent excursion now in case they get sold out, particularly the Troll Road in Alesund?

Thanks.

Sometimes they do sell out early.  We did a 14 night Norway cruise this past May and most of the excursions that included the Flam railway sold quickly.  It would probably be wise to book any bucket list items early.  You can always cancel later if you change your mind.

• Like 1

They will likely add excursions.  The shutdowns were hard on the tour industry and many guides moved on to other occupations. And then it has become much easier for a guide to go independent.   It is more important than ever to book early if it is a must do excursion.  Be sure to also check the private excursion sites for alternatives. 

• Like 1

I think the HIA promotion is also causing excursions to fill up fast but I hope HAL adds more buses/times. Several Iceland and Scotland tours are already booked for July 2024 and waitlists have been added. In 2022, several excursions sold out on my Norway cruise but not until 2-3 months before. 10 months is crazy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tryingtocruise said:

We are booked on the HA fjord cruise next July.  I was looking at the excursions that are up and a handful are already saying sold out.  Is this possible or have they just not opened reservations yet?  We are probably going to do independent excursions for the most part but we do have excursion credits to use and I'm wondering if I have to book something this early.  Also does it mean I should book the independent excursion now in case they get sold out, particularly the Troll Road in Alesund?

Thanks.

I would book this awesome excursion.  You have plenty of time to change your mind, if you do.  Get it while it is available 🙂  For this excursion we went with HAL because of the long day.  Was just fine on the bigger bus and group.  We typically use independent excursions but for our 28 day Alaska cruise next July I am booking, and reserving, WITH HAL as it seems harder to get a guaranteed booking.  (Can always change our minds)  The ships take alot of the companies....especially in smaller ports.

Edited by VacationCharlene
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I chatted with a Holland agent online about this subject. They weren't very helpful but very polite.

• [Chinchin] Welcome to Holland America Line. Chat service is available in English only. Please hold while we connect you to the next available agent...
  • [Chinchin] Thank you for contacting Holland America Line Chat. I hope you're doing great. My name is Chin. How can I make your day better? 
  • [Chinchin] I just want to check if the chat is still connected? 
  •  WE WERE LOOKING AT EXCURSIONS for our cruise. We are looking specifically at Cherbourg and an excursion to Normandy. They are sold out but there is a waiting list. Does this mean you will be adding more groups or that we have to hope that someone cancels their excursion?
  • [Chinchin] hi, Patrick. 
  • ] Hi Chinchin
  • ] That means, you will be on the waitlist and yes, slots will depend if someone cancelled their reservation. Also, it is first come first serve basis.
  • [] Do they ever add on another excursion if the waiting list is big enough?
  • [Chinchin] I canno guarantee that since waitlist is a not guaranteed slot. 
  •  I'm not asking for a guarantee at this time, only wondering if it ever happens.
  • [Chinchin] It's not guaranteed. 
  • [Chinchin] Aside from this, is there something else I can assist you with? 
  • [ Not at this time, thank you.
  • [Chinchin] I am delighted to be of assistance. I wish you a wonderful day! Thank you for chatting with us on Holland America Line Chat. Stay Safe!

We are currently cruising in Europe on Rotterdam

For many months pre cruise, excursions were either sold out or wait listed.  Since boarding the ship there have been additional capacities added and also additional options, such as Ho-Ho buses.

A tour such as the Edinburgh Tatoo would be problematic as the actual tickets available for a specific day when the ship is in port are finite, but many other tours will probably have additional capacity, just as our have done.

10 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

HIA is causing excursions to book up sooner.

I agree with this and worry about people booking a cruise with HIA only 2-3 months before the cruise departs. Very few excursions will be available on some cruises with upset people.

• Like 1