OBSERVATIONS FROM THE POOP DECK SEASCAPE SEPT 24, 2023

morpheusofthesea

3 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

While having breakfast in the YC Restaurant, Arthur came by our table with a greeting and asked if we would be getting off in Cozumel. He just was informed with the news that the Captain has been advised of a dock change. Instead of Puerto Longostino it will be the dock a few miles away with Royal's Allure and Carnival's Glory.The he gave us a word of caution that the ATM machines in Cozumel are rigged by hackers that have wiped out a crew members account.

I hope the crewmember's  bank refunds the money he lost through the ATM skimmer. 

This is getting to be more and more of a problem as the ATM skimmers get better and better.  One of the first items on our pre-cruise check list is to go to our bank and withdraw cash for the trip.  Unfortunately crew members are not able to do that. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2023 at 7:22 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

The key card elevator over ride has never worked on the Seascape. My guess that we will have to wait for the new World America to retplace Seascape 

It definitely worked for us when we were on last week. Not all the time though. My husband had to go to concierge to have his card reprogrammed once and then it worked for us again. We would scan our card or wrist band. Wait for the VIP message to appear at the top, select floor. It would then tell us the car, but it wouldn't light up. Sometimes when it wouldn't work, we'd go around the corner to the other bank of elevators. There were some times though, that it just didn't work at all. I wonder if they could have turned it off?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

My banks machines have the ability to tap the card instead of putting in the slot.  EM

It's actually easier to steal your CC information over NFC that with the physical sniffers that attach to ATMs.  All someone needs to do is get close enough to your card to capture the information from it. 

https://www.techtarget.com/whatis/feature/How-do-cybercriminals-steal-credit-card-information#:~:text=They use near-field communication,dates and card holder names.

• Thanks 1

Stayed on board today in Cozumel. Find the elevators work perfectly well without over ride with most off the ship. Last night after the show waiting for the elevator it went right past and did not stop. It must have weight  sensors and been packed for it to go right past us. 

It was safe this lunch time to stroll through the Market Place Buffet. Tons of food out, no lines, plenty of seating, staff standing around looking for something to do, many officers and staff taking advantage and having lunch in the MPB. 

Are you seeing Burgundy Snails regularly in the "Classic Favorites" area of the YC menu? It was a new entry and on every evening's menu for our Seaside cruise earlier this month (but was not there during our last cruise in February). I have not seen it on other ships' menus that have been posted recently. We loved this as a starter and began ordering it as a third 'sharing' starter, similar to how we often order the risotto as a third 'sharing' main course.

Edited by Best Cat Mom

2 hours ago, Best Cat Mom said:

Are you seeing Burgundy Snails regularly in the "Classic Favorites" area of the YC menu? It was a new entry and on every evening's menu for our Seaside cruise earlier this month (but was not there during our last cruise in February). I have not seen it on other ships' menus that have been posted recently. We loved this as a starter and began ordering it as a third 'sharing' starter, similar to how we often order the risotto as a third 'sharing' main course.

Spoke to Cazy, hostess of YC Restaurant on your behalf. She said that they have the snails on Gala evening the one time. But should a YC guest want them any evening to speak to the Maitre ‘D the day before and he will consult with the chef as to the availability of any item and if available they will prepare it for you. Since you already have a good relationship with the new Maitre ‘D your wishes will most likely be fulfilled.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

Wonder if the addition is not yet on all ships. This was our Seaside menu:

image.jpeg.0b6ecce1c33d480f0defe7c67c0d5f58.jpeg

You are correct. Found out tonight that the 5:30pm opening time is also a new corporate rollout on Seaside as on Seascape. So maybe they will be expanding the snails to the classic menu?

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

So maybe they will be expanding the snails to the classic menu?

We hope so, we really liked them.

We also joked with our server about where they were kept. They're supposed to be kept alive,  right? We asked who was taking care of them and where was the big room full of snails. Sukron, our server, dissolved into giggles after we asked -- definitively out of character for him. 🙂

4 hours ago, Best Cat Mom said:

Thanks for mentioning these. I look forward to having them. How will we know that they are indeed “Burgundy Snails” and not the ones that we have been eating all along on cruises? @Best Cat Mom

Edited by Fighterone
  • Haha 1

Spent most of the evening in Le Cabaret Rouge. Its 5:45 in the morning sea day and can not upload anything. Skipped the magician in the Chora. Stayed in the LCR and witnessed this horrible second act of "Sweet and Sour Circus" as she stood on a soda bottle, then on a half dozen bottles, after she did her morning type exercise routine for the audience as he just stood at attention. It wasn't worth my effort to video. The place emptied out pretty quickly. And we left as well. They followed TK the MC's opening songs, a great dance routine to "Had the Time of My Life", Bella Bevins great set of songs (she did outstanding job).

Edited by morpheusofthesea

Today there will be a 2pm matinee in the Chora Theatre with Bruno Vincenza and the great Jazz Quartet for their "Sinatra Tribute". Will try to video his rendition of "My Way". The quartet will be on board til January. Last day. Tip night. Whole week went fast. Did not experience much interloping this cruise. All the entry doors would lock better behind us. Asked why the Venchi Kiosk was out of certain chocolates. Was told that the pistachio flavor in both chocolates and gelato is out (supply chain?) due to one region in Italy supplying 100% of the pistachios had a bad season and Venchi will not get their pistachios from anywhere else.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"Was told that the pistachio flavor in both chocolates and gelato is out (supply chain?) due to one region in Italy supplying 100% of the pistachios had a bad season and Venchi will not get their pistachios from anywhere else."

It is nice MSC tries to support the Italian economy by purchasing domestically. I've noticed "Made in Italy" on many things, too.

Supply inconveniences that arise from that policy can even be touted as 'solidarity' to Italian passengers.

However, passengers from other parts of the world would probably want MSC to have a backup plan for those times the Italian supplier falls short.

22 minutes ago, no1talks said:

It is nice MSC tries to support the Italian economy by purchasing domestically. I've noticed "Made in Italy" on many things, too.

Supply inconveniences that arise from that policy can even be touted as 'solidarity' to Italian passengers.

However, passengers from other parts of the world would probably want MSC to have a backup plan for those times the Italian supplier falls short.

Yes also experienced that due to past 40 years policy we in the US can not find any good quality percale sheets manufactured in the US anymore. We have outsourced to a dozen other countries and after 20 repeated washings these sheets tear and fall apart. The top textiles in the world now come from France, Germany, England and Italy. Understand that Italy mandates only first quality products for export around the world. 

Here is another MSC glitch to look out for. For those of us that take advantage of booking on board cruises months, years in advance multiple cruises, it becomes incumbent that we keep a record of the OBC given by MSC for doing so. Got our statement which reflects the usual Voyager additional $50 per person OBC which was properly noted and deducted on the statement. But the additional $150 per cabin bonus is listed on the credit column and NOT deducted. Concierge can not understand why not and a phone call to bookkeeping does NOT show any $150 on their screen, so it is not being accepted. Looks like a dispute when we get home.

• Like 1