Photography During Behind The Scenes Tours

lgdesign

2 minutes ago, lgdesign said:

Can anyone share what areas they do not allow you to photograph during the non-Latitudes, fee-based longer BTS tour?  For instance, are you allowed to take photos  in the engine room or bridge areas?

Thanks in advance!

You won't be going to the engine room, the guides and the security detail will tell everyone exactly what they can and cannot photograph. The only things I haven't been able to photograph is I95 and the dressing rooms of the theater.

22 minutes ago, lgdesign said:

Can anyone share what areas they do not allow you to photograph during the non-Latitudes, fee-based longer BTS tour?  For instance, are you allowed to take photos  in the engine room or bridge areas? Thanks in advance!

Normally you are not allowed to take photos/video in I95 because it has ship's plans and emergency procedures (don't want to give the pirates inside information). If you have ever walked a short ways down I95 to get to the gangway, all of the walls are covered. 

Similarly, you are not allowed to film bridge emergency/security control systems. Depends on the rules of the day,,, you may have the opportunity to take some photos or no photos. 

The last time we were in the engine control room (pre-pandemic), they did not restrict photos. But I don't see why they would allow photography in there. 

The theater will restrict photography in dressing rooms if they have copywrited/licensed wardrobe/props in there. Otherwise you can snap away.  

Edited by BirdTravels

This appears to be a ship by ship policy. I did the tour on Joy in September. I had no restrictions on video/photos anywhere except the engine control room and bridge. We could only take pictures of the ocean view from the bridge - which is practically identical to the ocean view from the observation lounge one deck above. I shot video walking down I95 and noticed nothing covered on the walls.  The wardrobe room was also on the tour and people took many photos of the costumes for Footloose. (As an aside, the production manager told us she did not know what was replacing Footloose, only knew the props were being offloaded during the dry dock in Southampton.)  

The tour was fascinating. The galley and store rooms are unbelievable. The laundry was also eye popping (4,000 pool towels washed, dried, folded each day).  It’s a whole city down below and really gives you an understanding of what it takes to operate these ships. 

Just now, MCMC100 said:

This appears to be a ship by ship policy. I did the tour on Joy in September. I had no restrictions on video/photos anywhere except the engine control room and bridge. We could only take pictures of the ocean view from the bridge - which is practically identical to the ocean view from the observation lounge one deck above. I shot video walking down I95 and noticed nothing covered on the walls.  The wardrobe room was also on the tour and people took many photos of the costumes for Footloose. (As an aside, the production manager told us she did not know what was replacing Footloose, only knew the props were being offloaded during the dry dock in Southampton.)  

The tour was fascinating. The galley and store rooms are unbelievable. The laundry was also eye popping (4,000 pool towels washed, dried, folded each day).  It’s a whole city down below and really gives you an understanding of what it takes to operate these ships. 

Thank for all the great information!

44 minutes ago, leafsnation said:

All lines stopped direct access to bridge and engine room after 911.Bob

Some of the older NCL ships have a bridge viewing room and they seem to have added the bridge and engine control rooms back onto the tours this year.

I did the pay behind the scenes tour a couple of times before covid which had: theatre dressing rooms - no photos due to IP restrictions on the licensed show costumes, I95 - no photos due to personal info, Main galley - posed photo for the ship photographer of each guest, laundry area, cold storage & butchery, waste recycling centre. The i95 restrictions did vary on each tour. 

2 hours ago, leafsnation said:

This is not true at all.
We toured the bridge on the Harmony of the Seas in 2018 and I know for a fact that it is included in paid tours on many NCL ships today. In fact, the bridge is called out as a feature of the tour in the online description! https://www.ncl.com/travel-blog/ncl-behind-the-scenes-tour

15 hours ago, lgdesign said:

Was there a view of the engine room from the engine control room on the ship you were on?

The engine control room is usually above the engine room. There´s no direct connection allowing a window.

13 hours ago, leafsnation said:

Definitely no! It depends on the cruise line... I´ve been on the bridge of the MSC Euribia plus the engine control room and the engine room. On the Silver Nova we visited all crew areas plus bridge, engine control room. laundry and more (time ran out otherwise we would have gone to the engine room too).

For those who want to see some behind the scenes... here´s a video of my DH (of various ships, sorry no NCL):

Narration is in German but there should be English subtitles.

steamboats