Osteria d'Ovidio

Keith1010

One thing for sure is food is subjective.What one person loves another one would hate.  A food that comes to mind is liver.One of the few items I detest but some love it.

I know some people who never likes dining at the Crystal Dining Room later renamed Waterside. Food not hot enough for them. Too many people. Too noisy. On the other hand I know lots of people who enjoy Waterside.

Do you remember Silk and all the comments?  Some said it was frozen food. Some said it's not authentic.Some loved it.

How about Churrascaria. Some loved it. Some said too much food. Some said I am paying for a luxury cruise and I want full service and not such basic food.

Umi Uma. When it rolled out many guests were hesitant to go there.It was far different than many people had up until then. They want their food cooked. LOL.

Prego. Some said the food was so so. Other loved it. I have to say my first time on each ship it didn't work for me. Maybe I ordered the wrong items.  Who knows.  But I eventually figured it out and learned what I enjoyed.

Oseria d'Ovidio has had mixed reactions. Some love it. Others it's OK and some do not like it at all.

We ate there twice and had the food to our room one other time. Each time we tried new items we hadn't had so we could taste as many as we could.

I guess because Anne Marie is half Italian and learned to cook many dishes from her 100% Italian Grandmother who lived with her Anne Marie has made many of the dishes that I think of from Prego plus more.  So for me, Osteria d'Ovidio was the opportunity to sample a range of dishes that we normally didn't have and the portions were of a modest size that I could sample a variety of them including on the first visit two starters.  I enjoyed it and viewed it as more upscale than Prego. This is not a knock on Prego because I enjoyed it once I figured out what to order but just to say I found the new restaurant to serve more unique cuisine.  

My own view is to keep an open mind, try it alll, go back a few times and then see what you think. If I would have given up on Prego after the first time on each of the three ships then I would have said I didn't care for it and would not have learned what I was missing out on .  

And I do believe that as restaurants do both on land and at sea that they will make adjustments.

Buon appetito.

Keith 

IMG_2464.thumb.jpeg.e761445fd7a9c11adaccd3054f783f85.jpegIMG_2522.thumb.jpeg.d82f27cd9ba4d88aa6b892e570dd0396.jpegIMG_2358.thumb.jpeg.c54040a7bd5a395b1dee7b127fc15c46.jpegIMG_2357.thumb.jpeg.116ff28988cc4298180f5105803ac5a8.jpegIMG_2356.thumb.jpeg.e370d35d121d66cb075d076a598495d5.jpegIMG_2355.thumb.jpeg.00a0751ec38bc024faa851f9cfe7cbab.jpegIMG_2307.thumb.jpeg.3643937b12695d1ff86a3692efeaf73a.jpegIMG_2308.thumb.jpeg.6463bd734c5ff304a633d50a3ceaa140.jpegIMG_2309.thumb.jpeg.63f8b1eb893fd900d2d9e894dcee28b8.jpegIMG_2310.thumb.jpeg.8e2cd92e1076ed976398556e06c1eab7.jpegIMG_25272.thumb.jpeg.447c24ebd399dfc6e329a93d131e490c.jpegIMG_25282.thumb.jpeg.11a28beb4459613bcb2166f79884af2c.jpegIMG_25292.thumb.jpeg.78cc3844532e2f6b61aeab9275b6768e.jpegIMG_25302.thumb.jpeg.514de9f3a94f6a95dbae8e589d5713e4.jpegIMG_25312.thumb.jpeg.40b458d5f8ee36ce32fb184f0383593d.jpegIMG_2523.thumb.jpeg.7ff2eb50d88327b9fb4aa67c365e8f43.jpegIMG_2536.thumb.jpeg.2b02a76fed4b68a638ee73d38b13ab8e.jpegIMG_2539.thumb.jpeg.7c06b99318cd9fde1cbda682b7d55197.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First, I love liver, if it's cooked like my mother cooked it!! Used to go to an open house every Christmas Eve, the husband was Catholic and the wife Methodist, but they lived in a neighborhood that was at least 50% Jewish. Looked forward to it every year as one of the neighbors always brought the best chopped liver ever! And, yes, she was originally from New York.

As to the restaurants on Crystal, I expect OO to become more popular as people experience it. I don't expect it to change much as the "money" wants it the way it is now. And, never forget, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Patty

• Like 4

I'm not in love with the looks of the restaurant, I really don't like those couches - difficult for the middle person. However, I do think the menu is interesting and I would try any dish except the risotto (I'm not a risotto fan). I'd be interested in which dishes people were so turned off by. I haven't seen anyone say the food was bad, just that they didn't like the choices. Well there's lamb and fish and pasta and duck, all of which were available in Prego, just different versions. So what is so bad about this osteria?

3 minutes ago, NWX said:

What is it you don't like?

Picture perfect plates.  I like to eat food, not photograph it.  The time wasted in kitchen with presentation can be better spent paying attention to the underlying product.  The sauces are an obstacle that are wasted on me.    And yes, we know that there are different stations in the kitchen each doing their job.   All that bugs me can be easily scraped onto the scrap pile.   Bottom line is that I do not like waste.

36 minutes ago, saminina said:

Picture perfect plates.  I like to eat food, not photograph it.  The time wasted in kitchen with presentation can be better spent paying attention to the underlying product.  The sauces are an obstacle that are wasted on me.    And yes, we know that there are different stations in the kitchen each doing their job.   All that bugs me can be easily scraped onto the scrap pile.   Bottom line is that I do not like waste.

That fits the description of just about every plate I’ve ever ordered on Crystal (well, except breakfast 🤢), which I’ve happily photographed and THEN ate.  I definitely sail on Crystal for the well presented dishes — I can lazily plate dishes in my own kitchen…. I don’t need to pay thousands of dollars for that.

IMHO, this isn’t any more elaborately plated than the dishes I had in Prego, but then again I never order lasagna or some of the sheet pan entrees they offered either.  (…which I also can’t imagine ordering after I pay luxury fares for.)

Vince

• Like 5

I liked the look of the restaurant on Symphony very much although there were wall lights that depending where you sit, may glare into your eyes.

On the food front.....some dishes came out poorly and some excellent.  We went twice over 14 nights and tried different items each time from the a la carte menu.

The kitchen needs to refine what is being served if they are shooting for Michelin star level.  Sauces should be an accent not a pool.  The risotto needs to be cooked properly (chewy but not grainy); the shrimps should not be translucent.  The lamb should have life in it (meaning not dry).

The breads are very good. The sorbets are divine.  I love sorbets which some may not.  

We have another cruise coming up and we will try Symphony's Osteria D'Ovidio again.  Fingers crossed it will further improve with time (like a fine wine).  

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, NWX said:

I'm not in love with the looks of the restaurant, I really don't like those couches - difficult for the middle person. However, I do think the menu is interesting and I would try any dish except the risotto (I'm not a risotto fan). I'd be interested in which dishes people were so turned off by. I haven't seen anyone say the food was bad, just that they didn't like the choices. Well there's lamb and fish and pasta and duck, all of which were available in Prego, just different versions. So what is so bad about this osteria?

See Post#36 on the Any news/comments from Symphony. 

Tonight will be our 6th visit to Osteria . We have tried most dishes and  just  like Prego, over time we  have found dishes that suite our palates.
As an aside, Waterside does feature several of the former Prego dishes for those who need their Prego fix.

My suggestion is keep to an open mind .

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

IMHO, this isn’t any more elaborately plated than the dishes I had in Prego, but then again I never order lasagna or some of the sheet pan entrees they offered either.  (…which I also can’t imagine ordering after I pay luxury fares for.)

Vince

It's too bad to have passed on Prego lasagna.    My memory is very poor, but the lamb had in Prego was quite plainly plated and very delicious.  My favorite meal.....after the lasagna and veal dishes.

24 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

That fits the description of just about every plate I’ve ever ordered on Crystal (well, except breakfast 🤢), which I’ve happily photographed and THEN ate.  I definitely sail on Crystal for the well presented dishes — I can lazily plate dishes in my own kitchen…. I don’t need to pay thousands of dollars for that.

Vince

There's a saying in every restaurant above the level of diner: first you eat with your eyes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NWX said:

I'm not in love with the looks of the restaurant, I really don't like those couches - difficult for the middle person.

I have to admit, I was a little less concerned about the redesign of the room when I heard it was being done by Tillberg, but I was disappointed by what was delivered (at least in the case of Serenity’s).  That said, big banquettes are kind of a Serenity design tradition (Stardust, Palm Court forward, etc), so I think that part is on-brand.  I think I prefer Tillberg’s work on Symphony’s, just judging both from photos and not first hand experience yet.

Vince

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, saminina said:

It's too bad to have passed on Prego lasagna.    My memory is very poor, but the lamb had in Prego was quite plainly plated and very delicious.  My favorite meal.....after the lasagna and veal dishes.

Oh, I’ve seen it, don’t get me wrong…. One of my dining companions ordered it every visit.  To say it’s not my thing is the ultimate understatement though.  I know it’s a tasty version of it, but in Patty’s words, it’s not nearly foo-foo enough for me on a specialty dining night.  😊 

Vince

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

One thing for sure is food is subjective.What one person loves another one would hate.  A food that comes to mind is liver.One of the few items I detest but some love it.

I know some people who never likes dining at the Crystal Dining Room later renamed Waterside. Food not hot enough for them. Too many people. Too noisy. On the other hand I know lots of people who enjoy Waterside.

Do you remember Silk and all the comments?  Some said it was frozen food. Some said it's not authentic.Some loved it.

How about Churrascaria. Some loved it. Some said too much food. Some said I am paying for a luxury cruise and I want full service and not such basic food.

Umi Uma. When it rolled out many guests were hesitant to go there.It was far different than many people had up until then. They want their food cooked. LOL.

Prego. Some said the food was so so. Other loved it. I have to say my first time on each ship it didn't work for me. Maybe I ordered the wrong items.  Who knows.  But I eventually figured it out and learned what I enjoyed.

Oseria d'Ovidio has had mixed reactions. Some love it. Others it's OK and some do not like it at all.

We ate there twice and had the food to our room one other time. Each time we tried new items we hadn't had so we could taste as many as we could.

I guess because Anne Marie is half Italian and learned to cook many dishes from her 100% Italian Grandmother who lived with her Anne Marie has made many of the dishes that I think of from Prego plus more.  So for me, Osteria d'Ovidio was the opportunity to sample a range of dishes that we normally didn't have and the portions were of a modest size that I could sample a variety of them including on the first visit two starters.  I enjoyed it and viewed it as more upscale than Prego. This is not a knock on Prego because I enjoyed it once I figured out what to order but just to say I found the new restaurant to serve more unique cuisine.  

My own view is to keep an open mind, try it alll, go back a few times and then see what you think. If I would have given up on Prego after the first time on each of the three ships then I would have said I didn't care for it and would not have learned what I was missing out on .  

And I do believe that as restaurants do both on land and at sea that they will make adjustments.

Buon appetito.

Keith 

IMG_2464.thumb.jpeg.e761445fd7a9c11adaccd3054f783f85.jpegIMG_2522.thumb.jpeg.d82f27cd9ba4d88aa6b892e570dd0396.jpegIMG_2358.thumb.jpeg.c54040a7bd5a395b1dee7b127fc15c46.jpegIMG_2357.thumb.jpeg.116ff28988cc4298180f5105803ac5a8.jpegIMG_2356.thumb.jpeg.e370d35d121d66cb075d076a598495d5.jpegIMG_2355.thumb.jpeg.00a0751ec38bc024faa851f9cfe7cbab.jpegIMG_2307.thumb.jpeg.3643937b12695d1ff86a3692efeaf73a.jpegIMG_2308.thumb.jpeg.6463bd734c5ff304a633d50a3ceaa140.jpegIMG_2309.thumb.jpeg.63f8b1eb893fd900d2d9e894dcee28b8.jpegIMG_2310.thumb.jpeg.8e2cd92e1076ed976398556e06c1eab7.jpegIMG_25272.thumb.jpeg.447c24ebd399dfc6e329a93d131e490c.jpegIMG_25282.thumb.jpeg.11a28beb4459613bcb2166f79884af2c.jpegIMG_25292.thumb.jpeg.78cc3844532e2f6b61aeab9275b6768e.jpegIMG_25302.thumb.jpeg.514de9f3a94f6a95dbae8e589d5713e4.jpegIMG_25312.thumb.jpeg.40b458d5f8ee36ce32fb184f0383593d.jpegIMG_2523.thumb.jpeg.7ff2eb50d88327b9fb4aa67c365e8f43.jpegIMG_2536.thumb.jpeg.2b02a76fed4b68a638ee73d38b13ab8e.jpegIMG_2539.thumb.jpeg.7c06b99318cd9fde1cbda682b7d55197.jpeg

Don't understand why you need to super- promote this restaurant. Sounds like the natives behind this enterprise are getting restless. Let people decide for themselves. My own single experience was extremely negative, but of course we didn't try everything on the menu. We would never return under any circumstances with the current menu intact. Just our opinion.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, avalon244 said:

Don't understand why you need to super- promote this restaurant. Sounds like the natives behind this enterprise are getting restless. Let people decide for themselves. My own single experience was extremely negative, but of course we didn't try everything on the menu. We would never return under any circumstances with the current menu intact. Just our opinion.

I for one appreciate both of you posting about your experiences, multiple times, and hope both of you continue to do so, because the subsequent messages have given us more detail and context.  

that said, I don’t think spinning Keith’s posts as “super-promoting” it when you’re doing the exact same thing with the opposite message is doing you any favors though.  😞 

Vince

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, avalon244 said:

I am not promoting the restaurant. It is something new so I created a separate thread as I have  done in the past for things that are new at the time including Tastes, Silk, Silk Road now Umi Uma, Supper Club and even the Modern Menu when it rolled out.

Promoting no. Explaining my experience absolutely.

I thought I was clear that some people like it, some don't and some are so so. Not sure why you think that is promoting the restaurant.

Yes I will continue to do stand along threads for new things as I have always done such as about entertainment, inclusive, open seating and the redesign of ships.

And by doing this as a separate thread it actually elicits a greater range of opinions based on each persons experience and it has already done just that.

Keith

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BWIVince said:

I for one appreciate both of you posting about your experiences, multiple times, and hope both of you continue to do so, because the subsequent messages have given us more detail and context.  

that said, I don’t think spinning Keith’s posts as “super-promoting” it when you’re doing the exact same thing with the opposite message is doing you any favors though.  😞 

Vince

Point taken! Actually I had and have no problem with any of the verbiage in Keith's post. It was the 18 photos that followed which seemed like overkill to me.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, avalon244 said:

Point taken! Actually I had and have no problem with any of the verbiage in Keith's post. It was the 18 photos that followed which seemed like overkill to me.

There’s nothing wrong with that, but food photos are EVERYTHING to some of us.  😊. I wish Keith had posted even more (literally, not kidding).  I actually swap food photos with other friends on this forum by text frequently.  (Ironically, not Keith though.)

I know that’s not everyone’s thing, but please keep in mind that for some of us it is. 🙂. …and for those that don’t want to see all those pics, you can always scroll past them.

Vince

(Food Pic Addict)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

I know that’s not everyone’s thing, but please keep in mind that for some of us it is. 🙂. …and for those that don’t want to see all those pics, you can always scroll past them.

Vince

(Food Pic Addict)

For you Vince, a dessert in a two stars Michelin restaurant: peaches, yusu and coffee. I could not resist to post it. Sorry Keith, off topic😞

IMG_2989.jpeg

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Oh, I’ve seen it, don’t get me wrong…. One of my dining companions ordered it every visit.  To say it’s not my thing is the ultimate understatement though.  I know it’s a tasty version of it, but in Patty’s words, it’s not nearly foo-foo enough for me on a specialty dining night.  😊 

Vince

I sympathize. I mean, once you've had Stouffer's frozen everything else is just lasagna on a fancy plate.

Really, I'm not kidding.  Stouffer's lasagna is a minor miracle of frozen food.  Now if they'd just bring back their heavenly creamed spinach(still available in bulk for commercial operations, but what am I going to do with two pounds of creamed spinach?)

Thinking about it some more, the bath tub is empty.  Hmmmmm....

Hey,  that's cheaper than 60 minutes at OneSpaWorld!

(OneSpaWorld reminds me of the time Comcast cable rebranded as xfinity.)  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1