OBC Issue

Genoabay

Hello

Booked on Christmas in the Amazon cruise on the Mariner for December 12, 2023. Have sailed with RSCC previously and received on an board credit. When we sail with Silversea we receive a good OBC and recently on an Alaskan cruise with Seabourn we received 1000.00 USD for each 7 day cruise. 

I am somewhat perplexed as the the lack of acknowledgement from RSCC. It is not that we need the OBC, rather it is the lack of lack of customer appreciation when other lines regularly do so. 

Could someone shed some light upon this for me as I am confounded.

Thanks everyone.....

I appreciate the rudimentary Economics factor that predisposes a cruise line or any company's motivation to treat customers well. That is in general a universal phenonminon.

If you read my post it refers to Regent's customer appreciation of previous customers in this particular instance as compared to other luxury lines that offer generous OBC's automatically regardless of the bottom line at the time, That is how I interpret that behaviour.

We sail with Regent because of the superior on board product, overall cruise experience, and their excellence. This is a shoreside decision at their corporate level that makes me wonder. The other cruise lines, in my experience, have not been conditional in providing the OBC depending upon "cabins sold and revenue generated" to date.

Their are other layers to this type of corporate decision than meet the eye IMHO.

I have looked at the Seabourn club benefits and can't see any onboard credit for past customers there. Regent, on the other hand do offer $100 at Gold and above plus more onboard credit if you book onboard (or at least leave a deposit.) I know Seabourn offered a 5% discount for a future cruise deposit but can't remember if any OBC was offered

Having booked both a Seabourn and a Regent cruise just prior to a 'special offer' of onboard credit being put in place (and being a past customer of both), my TA contacted both companies.to ask if they would be willing to credit me with the OBC.

Regent's response - of course

Seabourn's response - not a chance

So I suppose it depends on the circumstances.

Edited by Techno123

10 hours ago, Genoabay said:

Hello

Booked on Christmas in the Amazon cruise on the Mariner for December 12, 2023. Have sailed with RSCC previously and received on an board credit. When we sail with Silversea we receive a good OBC and recently on an Alaskan cruise with Seabourn we received 1000.00 USD for each 7 day cruise. 

I am somewhat perplexed as the the lack of acknowledgement from RSCC. It is not that we need the OBC, rather it is the lack of lack of customer appreciation when other lines regularly do so. 

Thanks everyone.....

Having sailed with both Regent and Silversea a number of times we have never been given any OBC.

8 hours ago, Genoabay said:

I appreciate the rudimentary Economics factor that predisposes a cruise line or any company's motivation to treat customers well. That is in general a universal phenonminon.

If you read my post it refers to Regent's customer appreciation of previous customers in this particular instance as compared to other luxury lines that offer generous OBC's automatically regardless of the bottom line at the time, That is how I interpret that behaviour.

We sail with Regent because of the superior on board product, overall cruise experience, and their excellence. This is a shoreside decision at their corporate level that makes me wonder. The other cruise lines, in my experience, have not been conditional in providing the OBC depending upon "cabins sold and revenue generated" to date.

Their are other layers to this type of corporate decision than meet the eye IMHO.

Corporate decisions are made at the corporate level for whatever reasons the decision makers decide.  What "other layers of corporate decisions" are you referring to? It seems to me that you are suggesting some sort of "corporate conspiracy."  I don't know of any corporation that publicly posts its reasoning for policy decisions. 

In my experience other cruise lines actually offer OBC as incentives to book either early or on cruises that aren't selling well, and as part of their loyalty programs,  just like Regent does.  No real mystery there. 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, Genoabay said:

I am not sure I am understanding your issue.

At the time of booking you presumably asked your TA and/or Regent what was the price of the cruise and what, if any, other perks were on offer.

Are you saying that you have not been given OBC that you were offered at time of booking? ........ or are you simply saying that you made an incorrect assumption at time of booking?

Regarding recognition of past guests, some Regent cruises feature savings for members of the Seven Seas Society (RSSC past guests).

The Mariner 2023 Holiday cruise is one such voyage. Since you say that you have sailed with Regent previously you should find that your invoice shows a SSS saving.

• Like 3

We have only sailed with Regent once. We booked another cruise almost as soon as we came home. We were delighted to receive a discount on our chosen cruise because of the RSS past guest offer, We had no idea such a thing even existed. Far better than  an onboard credit allowance in our opinion.

• Like 2

On 9/26/2023 at 6:18 AM, Genoabay said:

recently on an Alaskan cruise with Seabourn we received 1000.00 USD for each 7 day cruise. 

I am a regular on Seabourn and I know OBC is always dependent on special marketing offers at the time of booking. We just completed a Med cruise with Seabourn and we had no OBC offered for that cruise but our next two cruises do. Our Regent cruise next year we have a some OBC due to our travel agent but we booked during a two suite upgrade so we get to enjoy a penthouse for our first cruise. 

I guess my point is there is always swings and roundabouts with each cruise and cruise line.

I was just going to post what Julie did above: OBC offers vary all the time on cruise lines, depending on the promotion of the moment. Sometimes there's a free category upgrade; sometimes free air or business class air (for those which don't typically supply it); sometimes there's OBC. In the past year, we've been fortunate to travel on Regent, Seabourn and Silversea. We had no OBC on our recent Regent cruise (aside from the $100 given as replacement for the laundry loyalty benefit when they made laundry free for everyone). Our last Seabourn cruise has a small amount of OBC; our next Seabourn cruise had a great, discounted price, but no OBC. Our Silversea cruise had no OBC, although it wasn't needed on an expedition cruise.

In short, I'm pushing back against your assumption that "other luxury lines that offer generous OBC's automatically regardless of the bottom line at the time."  I'm not aware that any amount of OBC is given on any of the cruise lines as a loyalty benefit or customer recognition for past cruisers. I don't see Regent's customer appreciation perks being any greater than or less than the other lines.