Papeete to San Diego 6/16/2025-questions

steve4031

I am considering this cruise.  It would be my first on Oceania.  My first question is how to work the airfare portion from Chicago to Papeete.  I see United has a connection through San Francisco.  I probably would use United.   Would Oceania included air work better?  

What about hotels for the night before the cruise?  I looked briefly and it seemed most of the hotels were the expensive ones with overwater bungalows.  Does Oceania have competitive pre-cruise packages? 

Anything I should be aware of when booking this cruise?  I know about the many sea days.  I did a transatlantic last summer on Cunard and we enjoyed the sea days.   

1 hour ago, steve4031 said:

I am considering this cruise.  It would be my first on Oceania.  My first question is how to work the airfare portion from Chicago to Papeete.  I see United has a connection through San Francisco.  I probably would use United.   Would Oceania included air work better?  

What about hotels for the night before the cruise?  I looked briefly and it seemed most of the hotels were the expensive ones with overwater bungalows.  Does Oceania have competitive pre-cruise packages? 

Anything I should be aware of when booking this cruise?  I know about the many sea days.  I did a transatlantic last summer on Cunard and we enjoyed the sea days.   

We went to Palette on Oceania in 2014 and took O's non-stop from LAX via a short hop we paid for using points from SMF.  At that time, flights to Tahiti were insanely expensive so that combo worked for us even with the deviation fee.  It is also the only time we've used O flights.  I would consider pricing your own airfare first then ask O about what they could offer.  Be aware the flights from SFO may be non-stop to Papeete or routed through Honolulu.  It will be whatever O's contact is which will usually be cheaper for them.

Do the same with your hotels.  I used my status with IHC to get a great rate on an over water bungalow for the price of an ocean view room for a few days stay before our cruise.  Os hotels are designed to make them money and while they do include transfers, DIY transfers on that small island will be much more reasonable.

Finally, we also had a PH on that cruise.  The butler saved us a couple of times from dressing for dinner due to us being out in the sun all day snorkeling, by serving us dinner in suite a couple of nights.  Something to consider.  Whatever you decide, you will have a wonderful time in paradise.

Edited by PirateShark
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PirateShark said:

We went to Palette on Oceania in 2014 and took O's non-stop from LAX via a short hop we paid for using points from SMF.  At that time, flights to Tahiti were insanely expensive so that combo worked for us even with the deviation fee.  It is also the only time we've used O flights.  I would consider pricing your own airfare first then ask O about what they could offer.  Be aware the flights from SFO may be non-stop to Papeete or routed through Honolulu.  It will be whatever O's contact is which will usually be cheaper for them.

Do the same with your hotels.  I used my status with IHC to get a great rate on an over water bungalow for the price of an ocean view room for a few days stay before our cruise.  Os hotels are designed to make them money and while they do include transfers, DIY transfers on that small island will be much more reasonable.

Finally, we also had a PH on that cruise.  The butler saved us a couple of times from dressing for dinner due to us being out in the sun all day snorkeling, by serving us dinner in suite a couple of nights.  Something to consider.  Whatever you decide, you will have a wonderful time in paradise.

Pirate Shark, thank you for your detailed responses.  I am a teacher so I can book a year and a half out and get a balcony, but I don't know if I could afford a PH with a butler.  United did not seem too bad when I checked for June 2024.  The airfare was 1,200 per person in economy, and maybe 1900 for premium economy.  If O can beat that I would think about it.  If it was about the same I think I would just go with United.  

• Like 1

@steve4031

Check out flying through LAX as Air Tahiti Nui does a lot of the flights there and back from the West Coast. Pre and Post O trips, they are priced per person so no, they are not inexpensive but we have had some outstanding tours with them. We have friends who spent some time in Papeete just as Covid was breaking and there were non over the water luxury experience hotels available. I can not even remember where we stayed years ago when we sailed Tahiti but it was not in a Lux hotel. You should have a wonderful trip, guessing it is on Regatta so one of the smaller R Class ships. JMHO.

I see Pirate Shark’s post and he shares some good points. We too like the PH on the R ships, 50% larger and of course the benefits but it comes at a cost. 

Mauibabes

The ship would be the Insignia.  I've read reviews and some people like and some people don't.  The funniest review was titled "Oceania is like Amtrak" and had a few lines of vague complaints.  I enjoy Amtrak and have ridden every route.  Even on its best day, Amtrak could never approach Oceania's level of customer service.  It would not even reach Carnival's level of customer service.  

That being said, I am not to worried about the quality of life on board the ship.  I understand this ship is significantly smaller, 684 passengers IIRC) than any of the other ships that I have been on. Those have had between 2,000 and 3,000 passengers.  I am curious as to how the smaller ship would handle rougher seas.  

I'll kick in too having sailed from PPT to Los Angeles last year on Regatta.  We didn't do O air, but did book with a very knowledgeable O cruise advisor (in house) who talked us through it.  He assured me that if we took air through O it would undoubtedly be via Los Angeles with Air Tahiti Nui.  With a lifetime of United miles in my bank we booked from our hometown airport with United.

It's worth knowing that French Bee, a low cost carrier based in Paris, flys from SFO - PPT 3 or 4 times a week.  I would suggest that the modest upcharge for their quasi business class is well worth doing.  Their flights arrive at something like 5AM which could be a challenge for some.

As for accommodations in Papeete prior to sailing.  O used the Intercontinental Papeete, the rates offered were not at all competitive.  For example, we booked an overwater room on our own for 25% less than O wanted for a standard room.  The hotel is nice, not terrific, but nice and I'd recommend it for proximity to the airport (5 minutes) and the pier (20 minutes).

Last point.  Be very aware that Papeete does not have a cruise terminal per se.  You line up on the pier for pre boarding formalities and then "check in" on the ship itself.  This went very slowly and inefficiently last year (very early post covid by Tahiti standards).  Some reported having stood in the queue on the pier for upwards for 2 hours in the broiling sun - I highly advise arriving late to the pier - something around 3pm is likely ideal.  That's what I'll be doing the we sail in 2025 on the trip from PPT to Honolulu a few weeks after you.

Last, last point.  Be aware that O gathered everyone with a transfer at the Intercontinental.  Those with overnight accommodations and some who arrived on the 5AM Air France flight from Europe.  All were directed to busses simultaneously for transfer to the pier - something like 9 busses - nose to tail.  We had booked a private transfer and it was a delight to walk past the absolute chaos straight to our waiting taxi.  It's not a good place to be following the herd.

Now I have to stress that ours was one of the first cruises for Regatta after she restarted, was during the time that both FP and O required pre arrival (or boarding) testing both of which complicated the boarding process. Still, a search will quickly reveal that boarding is anything but pleasant in Tahiti.  Have a plan that keeps you clear of the crowd for the best experience.

• Thanks 1

This is all very helpful.  It makes sense to stay in the hotel as long as possible and then get to the pier after the other passengers have boarded.  Based on what I have read about the demographics of Oceania passengers, having them stand in the hot sun for two hours is a recipe for health challenges.  

I got a business class from LAX to Papeete for $1850 on Air France for Mar 2024 cruise. That was for one way, since cruise ends in LA ( San Pedro) and I live in SoCal.

there are many hotels, Airbnb in Papeete that are Not OWB! We have stayed twice at the Pearl and will stay one night at the Hilton in Papeete before the cruise.  We are goin 5 days early and staying at the Sofitel in Moorea.

We stayed at the Hilton after we debarking from Regatta in March. It was recently totally renovated, has multiple restaurants and is connected to a small mall via a skybridge. The pool area is quite large and has great views of Moorea. 

22 hours ago, jondfk said:

Be very aware that Papeete does not have a cruise terminal per se.  You line up on the pier for pre boarding formalities and then "check in" on the ship itself.  This went very slowly and inefficiently last year (very early post covid by Tahiti standards).  Some reported having stood in the queue on the pier for upwards for 2 hours in the broiling sun - I highly advise arriving late to the pier - something around 3pm is likely ideal.  That's what I'll be doing the we sail in 2025 on the trip from PPT to Honolulu a few weeks after you.

I was on the Regatta in April 2023, embarking in Papeete.  There was no terminal, as @jondfk says.  There was a tent where we filled out a health questionnaire form, then we walked down the dock to the gangway and onto the ship.  There was no line to board the ship at noon.  We checked in at the Regatta Lounge, no wait.  I got off the ship about 2:00 p.m. to walk around town and there were no lines.  It looks like the process has improved.

March wasn't too bad either, about 30 minutes to get on the ship. We got a great deal on flights from Seattle, 800 rt air Tahiti nui and did fare Suisse for a clean room good breakfast and airport transport per recommendations made by others on cruise critic