Has the food choices and quality improved?

Nashna

7 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Reading any product review is more art than science. Identifying certain phrases like you have allows one to weigh the review from "completely useless" to "invaluable". By frequenting this board, one can easily apply those same rankings to the folks who post here.

Or get lucky and find someone who was onboard when you were last and then more recently to give you insight if it was similar. I lucked out today and found out it’s similar, so we are good for now. Food is so subjective it’s almost impossible to judge another person’s opinion. Especially if this is the first time they have sailed post shutdown. 

I think everyone needs to find out for themselves, because back in February my bar was so low based on the boards, that I was pleasantly surprised by the MDR, but I definitely had critical comments, but it was no means school lunch food. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Food is so subjective it’s almost impossible to judge another person’s opinion.

Specificity is key. Listing specific menu items (or lack thereof) is helpful to me (beef filet or sirloin, branzino or tilapia). Describing the actual sides is helpful to me. Characterizing the main protein as fork tender or tough as leather is helpful to me. Indicating that you were "pleasantly surprised by the MDR" 6+ months ago is not. It tells me nothing.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Specificity is key. Listing specific menu items (or lack thereof) is helpful to me (beef filet or sirloin, branzino or tilapia). Describing the actual sides is helpful to me. Characterizing the main protein as fork tender or tough as leather is helpful to me. Indicating that you were "pleasantly surprised by the MDR" 6+ months ago is not. It tells me nothing.

Wasn’t trying to in this instance. In my Edge thread I started from our February cruise, I gave a review with each nights menus and what we ate. I didn’t get in depth on the food as you mentioned, but tried to share menus. I am not a foodie so I don’t generally go into great detail on the food, because everyone’s tastes are so different. 

My generalization above was that the boards and Facebook had me thinking it would me the worst food ever in February and we wouldn’t find anything to eat. At that point people who hadn’t cruised this year, would thank people for their honest opinion if they said the food was the worst and basically not believe anyone that posted positive. It was pretty toxic, not all that different when they released the Edge. Heck on FB I mentioned the gluten free options were less this year on our cruise and someone told me I shouldn’t be cruising with my food allergy lol. That is why I think it is important not to judge on other’s comments and to find out for yourself. The only issue is regardless of what line we sail it is an expensive gamble. 

I am just glad to hear it hasn’t changed much from February, so that helps me set my expectations. 

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RichYak said:

You should feel free to share your opinions of the food in Luminae and Blu or anywhere else to refute, as should everyone else. But to belittle the OP who doesn't often post here was uncalled for.

The comment by @C4HCG upthread would have been perfectly fine, if only they left out the first sentence.

The first sentence was tongue in cheek, hence the 🙈emoji. If it came across as being offensive to the OP then I apologise. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Food isn't that subjective, really.  "I didn't starve" is a pretty low bar.  From all of the reports posted over the past month or so, it's very clear that what they're serving today is lower quality than at any other time in their history.  That they keep charging more and more for a lesser experience is what people are reacting negatively to.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Food isn't that subjective, really.  "I didn't starve" is a pretty low bar.  From all of the reports posted over the past month or so, it's very clear that what they're serving today is lower quality than at any other time in their history.  That they keep charging more and more for a lesser experience is what people are reacting negatively to.

On the contrary, food is highly subjective as many of us are satisfied with the quality and choices and not the starvation factor at all.  The choices are different but the acceptance have varying opinions

Edited by Cruise till you drop
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, C4HCG said:

The first sentence was tongue in cheek, hence the 🙈emoji. If it came across as being offensive to the OP then I apologise. 

Ah, I didn't recognize the cheekiness which is odd, because I speak it fluently. Maybe it's me, but that monkey emoji didn't hint at cheekiness. 

1 hour ago, bEwAbG said:

Read all the reports from the last month and you’ll see plenty that contradict your view. Many here have reported good food experiences. 

56 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

On the contrary, food is highly subjective as many of us are satisfied with the quality and choices and not the starvation factor at all.  The choices are different but the acceptance have varying opinions

I agree that taste and, as you say, satisfaction and acceptance are subjective. I don't agree that food is. You can like whichever cut of beef you like, but a strip steak is higher quality than, say, a flank steak. That part is not subjective. Same with Dover Sole and flounder.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Ah, I didn't recognize the cheekiness which is odd, because I speak it fluently. Maybe it's me, but that monkey emoji didn't hint at cheekiness. 

Which translated means you don’t believe me, just say that eh? I try to post here and give an honest view based on experience, I am tired of getting involved in petty exchanges. My fault for biting.

22 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I agree that taste and, as you say, satisfaction and acceptance are subjective. I don't agree that food is. You can like whichever cut of beef you like, but a strip steak is higher quality than, say, a flank steak. That part is not subjective. Same with Dover Sole and flounder.

Yes, to a degree, but steak has varying grades of quality separate from the cut itself, choice, select, prime, etc.  What I have noticed is they might still offer strip, but it's select now instead of choice or prime.  At least on Princess have seen this change in their specialty steak houses, but haven't been to one on Celebrity.  

As to the comment from someone that "they didn't starve", I sort of share that sentiment and view it as a positive.  To me, that means there are enough choices to try different things and still be satisfied that you had a meal you didn't have to pay more for.  

Now, if your expectations are Jeff Ruby or Capital Grill or Ruths Chris, then yes, you likely will view all the options now on a cruise ship as substandard.  

At least that is my view.  I have tempered my expectations that the quality of the meals are going to be just okay and if it's better than that I'm pleasantly surprised.  Higher quality is not coming back to mainstream cruise lines unless the passenger capacity drops off, which it isn't likely too.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Which translated means you don’t believe me, just say that eh? I try to post here and give an honest view based on experience, I am tired of getting involved in petty exchanges. My fault for biting.

No, I completely believe that what you wrote was tongue-in-cheek. It's on me for not recognizing it as such. It's also on me for not stating that more clearly in my last comment. I hope it's clear this time.

21 minutes ago, RichYak said:

No, I completely believe that what you wrote was tongue-in-cheek. It's on me for not recognizing it as such. It's also on me for not stating that more clearly in my last comment. I hope it's clear this time.

It is 👍. But I still acknowledge my post was clumsy but unintentionally so. And I now retire from food threads.

Edited by C4HCG

13 hours ago, RichYak said:

Agreed 100% on the ingredients.

On land I would not go to a restaurant that had sirloin,  tilapia,  and mashed potatoes.  

Yet I would go to a restaurant that had filet,  branzino,  and a variety of sides.

For those that like the new menu.

Do you prefer sirloin over filet?  Do you prefer tilapia over branzino?

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, QuestionEverything said:

If any cruise line changes their fish from y to tilapia, then you know they are cost cutting. 

I don't eat fish My wife likes fish including tilapia. Wouldn't surprise me that she orders it on our October Eclipse cruise. 

24 minutes ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

And X is supposed to be a LUXURY cruise now??

They may have branded themselves as a “luxury” line but in fact they were never on a par with the top luxury lines.  And that’s before the cutbacks in food we are describing.  (However, they are still my favorite line.)

4 minutes ago, doghog said:

Only that's your opinion.

True, but I did just get off of a Celebrity ship 3 weeks ago, and I did 2 MSC sailings during the 2nd half of 2022 and beginning of 2023.  I'll be on Celebrity again in about 3 weeks and MSC again at the end of the year.

So it's not like I'm pulling my opinions out of my backside without any actual experience.

Let me add that on our NYE cruise 2 years ago, Celebrity's MDR food was leaps and bounds better than MSC's.  No longer, at least based on my experience.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

True, but I did just get off of a Celebrity ship 3 weeks ago, and I did 2 MSC sailings during the 2nd half of 2022 and beginning of 2023.  I'll be on Celebrity again in about 3 weeks and MSC again at the end of the year.

So it's not like I'm pulling my opinions out of my backside without any actual experience.

Let me add that on our NYE cruise 2 years ago, Celebrity's MDR food was leaps and bounds better than MSC's.  No longer, at least based on my experience.

Never implied you were pulling your opinions from your backside. Doesn't matter. Still your opinion. 

Edited by doghog

6 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Isn't that rather obvious?

The only thing obvious it's your opinion. I'm not saying it's wrong, as far as you are concerned. You asked, "what's that tell you". I replied with my opinion. 

Edited by doghog

11 minutes ago, doghog said:

The only thing obvious it's your opinion. I'm not saying it's wrong, as far as you are concerned. You asked, "what's that tell you". I replied with my opinion. 

Let me also add that on MSC, the Specialty Dining packages are priced much better.  On my last cruise, I think I paid roughly $70 per person for 3 specialty restaurants.  On our upcoming cruise (NYE), I paid $100 per person for 3 speciality restaurants.  But remember, MSC has a status match, so for many, it's not hard to achieve Diamond Status, and that also includes a free specialty restaurant dinner (plus Prosecco, chocolate & snacks in the room and such).

So for $70-$100 per person, I'm getting 4 specialty restaurant dinners (including 1 free) on MSC and their specialty restaurants are very good.

Obviously, some might say, "If you like MSC so much, just sail MSC".  And I do that, along with Celebrity.  But that's really not the point.  The point is that Celebrity's food quality is dropping a lot, where some other cruise lines, such as MSC, seem to be holding steady or even improving.

I posted this before, but this was my first night's meal on Celebrity a few weeks ago.  A very thin, poor quality sirloin steak with a massive piece of fat & gristle in it (sorry if it's a bit gross, but trying to illustrate the point).  And of course, the obligatory cafeteria scoop of mashed potatoes w/a few veggies.

Michelin-starred chefs?  Hardly.

IMG_9130.jpeg

IMG_9132.jpeg

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1