Has the food choices and quality improved?

Nashna

23 hours ago, retired dude said:

most of the big blue b-ball games are on espn, so no need to get wifi on the ship, we dont go on cruises to watch tv....

Well, they just set our game time for 7pm either SECN or ESPN.  I wonder if while leaving FLL you get regular ESPN or SECN on the ship or if I'm going to have to hope I can stream it on my phone or computer. 

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Well, they just set our game time for 7pm either SECN or ESPN.  I wonder if while leaving FLL you get regular ESPN or SECN on the ship or if I'm going to have to hope I can stream it on my phone or computer. 

you have to hope that it is on espn, if not, we are out of luck....and hope that everyone's favorite game cricket is not on...

• Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 12:36 PM, micruiser2002 said:

But the Blu menu has not been impacted by the recent menu changes.  Also I believe the newer ships still have menus with better options than the older ships.  Look at some of the current menus on the app very disappointing.  Even Luminae has been downgraded.  

Indeed it has. Very significantly downgraded in choices and quality. We are long-time AQ cruisers so we know well.  

Off 11 nights in BLU on Summit through last Sunday, and we chose entrees from MDR twice and opted to eat in Oceanview (OV) twice. (That has never happened before, ever.) And then again to OV on final night because we couldn’t find anything on either menu (BLU or MDR) worth doing a long sit-down dinner. We stopped to tip the servers in BLU on the way to the OV. They apologized; I felt terrible for them. The service was still excellent and they all dutifully told us what was in bread basket each night, even though it was the exact same 3 bread choices each every night we were there. 

In Oceanview, I opted for fresh stir-fry both times although there were other choices (I don’t typically like pre-prepared foods) and since we were too late on the last evening, just opted for fresh grilled chicken on a salad.  

BTW, the filet mignon in Tuscan was the best cut of any meat we had the entire cruise. It was under-seasoned but cooked perfectly and tender.  

The “filet” presented in BLU on one dress-up night was about 1/2 inch thick and the texture was more like that of shredded beef. Of course, it was not medium rate, but was over-cooked, too.  (You’d have to have cooked it like a minute steak to have it prepared as ordered.) 

Never felt so disappointed in Celebrity dining in over 20 cruises in AQ.  And no, we didn’t starve for those who think that should be the standard of comparison.

But I did confirm that Celebrity dining is now a miss. 

Edited by Islander500
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Islander500 said:

Indeed it has. Very significantly downgraded in choices and quality. We are long-time AQ cruisers so we know well.  

Off 11 nights in BLU on Summit through last Sunday, and we chose entrees from MDR twice and opted to eat in Oceanview (OV) twice. (That has never  happened before, ever.) And then again to OV on final night because we couldn’t find anything on either menu (BLU or MDR) worth doing a long sit-down dinner. We stopped to tip the servers in BLU on the way to the OV. They apologized; I felt terrible for them. The service was still excellent and they all dutifully told us what was in bread basket each night, even though it was the exact same 3 bread choices each every night we were there. 

In Oceanview, I opted for fresh stir-fry both times although there were other choices (I don’t typically like pre-prepared foods) and since we were too late on the last evening, just opted for fresh grilled chicken on a salad.  

BTW, the filet mignon in Tuscan was the best cut of any meat we had the entire cruise. It was under-seasoned but cooked perfectly and tender.  

The “filet” presented in BLU on one dress-up night was about 1/2 inch thick and the texture was more like that of shredded beef. Of course, it was not medium rate, but was over-cooked, too.  (You’d have to have cooked it like a minute steak to have it prepared as ordered.) 

Never felt so disappointed in Celebrity dining in over 20 cruises in AQ.  And no, we didn’t starve for those who think that should be the standard of comparison.

But I did confirm that Celebrity dining is now a miss. 

I have not seen any real changes to the actual menu for BLU.  It looks like they still offer the same appetizers as previously?  I thought the mains looked the same also?  Has the menu actually changed or the quality of the food?  

24 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

I have not seen any real changes to the actual menu for BLU.  It looks like they still offer the same appetizers as previously?  I thought the mains looked the same also?  Has the menu actually changed or the quality of the food?  

Nope. Both the choices and quality of the food is diminished. And quite significantly.

I can probably go through it night by night, but for example, the 2 pieces of lamb from the rack of lamb (I was so happy to see it still on menu) were so tough I couldn’t cut through either of them so had 3 or 4 small bites, total. 

Certainly there are lots of changes from pre-covid, but I’m mostly focused on changes even from our last AQ cruise earlier this year in May where we noticed changes but not as impactful as on this cruise).  

The more significant menu changes (from what I had read) happened in August. And I can now absolutely confirm it from my own experience. New menus are a miss on all fronts.  Hope Celebrity is paying attention. Many AQ guests were talking about it on-board, too.  And on last cruise day, I noticed the future cruise desks (4 of them) empty which I’d never seen.  First time I didn’t book a future cruise on board in many, many years.  

Edited by Islander500

1 hour ago, Islander500 said:

Nope. Both the choices and quality of the food is diminished. And quite significantly.

I can probably go through it night by night, but for example, the 2 pieces of lamb from the rack of lamb (I was so happy to see it still on menu) were so tough I couldn’t cut through either of them so had 3 or 4 small bites, total. 

Certainly there are lots of changes from pre-covid, but I’m mostly focused on changes even from our last AQ cruise earlier this year in May where we noticed changes but not as impactful as on this cruise).  

The more significant menu changes (from what I had read) happened in August. And I can now absolutely confirm it from my own experience. New menus are a miss on all fronts.  Hope Celebrity is paying attention. Many AQ guests were talking about it on-board, too.  And on last cruise day, I noticed the future cruise desks (4 of them) empty which I’d never seen.  First time I didn’t book a future cruise on board in many, many years.  

What menu changes did you see?  I am looking at my upcoming sailing and the menu for Blu is the exact same (starters & entrees) as someone posted in January on CC.

2 hours ago, Islander500 said:

Same here, first time I didn’t book a future cruise while onboard in over 10 years! Still got 4 for 2024 booked and hope for better food, the staff and everything else was as good as ever, but we eat good food at home and expect decent food on the ship.

1 hour ago, micruiser2002 said:

What menu changes did you see?  I am looking at my upcoming sailing and the menu for Blu is the exact same (starters & entrees) as someone posted in January on CC.

It would be interesting to read a report from you after your cruise.

I was just on Eclipse and Filet and Lobster tail are Back on the LPC menu.

Not together as they once were but either/or but my waiter got Me both and the quality of Both were Very Good.

when LPC substituted Ribs for Filet and Lobster I made sure X Knew I would No Longer be dining in LPC so maybe enough of us complaining was enough to reverse that take away?

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/1/2023 at 11:35 AM, cgolf1 said:

Curious what is wrong with a Sirloin? Don’t get me wrong, a ribeye, porterhouse, or T-bone are my favs, but with the ridiculous prices of them this year I have been getting fresh sirloins from a butcher and they have been very tasty and tender. That said they are thicker cut and a 2-3 lb steak, so super easy to get a perfect medium rare cook on them. Just curious to learn from others. 

My steak preferences may be different than many as I prefer flavor over texture, so a filet is quite low in my list of steaks. The only texture I hate are tough and chewy ones that end up just short of beef jerky. 

Haven't posted for a while, but the problem with sirloin is that at the lesser grades (I am sure they are not using choice) that the cruise line is buying will be very unforgiving.  Cooking a lower grade leaner cut for the mass of people they have to serve is going to be very hit and miss (probably more miss).  Better to do a thinner or smaller rib eye which will hold up much better sitting under a heat lamp due to the higher fat content of the meat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2023 at 11:14 AM, luv2cruzuk said:

I sailed Aqua Class - (after placing a move-up bid), but I also experienced the Oceanview Cafe and Room Service (a lot of Room service as you'll see in my video!) 😅

That was quite the twist! We’ve put in for an Aqua Class upgrade bid so I appreciated the information you shared. Thanks!