NCL corkage fee

Bunnyhead

If you don’t have the FAS package which allows unlimited bottles of wine brought on for free, there will be a table in the cruise terminal where you will be instructed by security to go and pay $15 per bottle (goes on your account I believe). ETA if it’s in your checked luggage security will flag it and you will be called down to the naughty room to get your bag and be charged for corkage.

Edited by mjkacmom

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

If you don’t have the FAS package which allows unlimited bottles of wine brought on for free, there will be a table in the cruise terminal where you will be instructed by security to go and pay $15 per bottle (goes on your account I believe). ETA if it’s in your checked luggage security will flag it and you will be called down to the naughty room to get your bag and be charged for corkage.

We sail next month. So if we have the FAS,.we can bring as many as we like? Do we have to carry on or can we pack them?

2 minutes ago, bruce85 said:

We sail next month. So if we have the FAS,.we can bring as many as we like? Do we have to carry on or can we pack them?

2 minutes ago, bruce85 said:

Much better to carry them on if you don’t want yo have to wait in line to get your checked luggage.

From the NCLweb page:

Wine & Champagne Policy 

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00 USD

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 USD

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

Corkage Fee is not applicable to guest with beverage package.

While it doesn't specify how many bottles can be brought on, something tells me "unlimited" may actually be limited to how much you can carry. Backing up a semi to the check-in would probably be discouraged.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Bunnyhead said:

NCL doesn't specify how many bottles you can bring.  I am thinking I'll bring 2 (one for me, one for husband) just to play it safe--I don't have the FAS.  Are they going to care if I put both bottles in my suitcase?

If you put in luggage you’ll end up having to go to “naughty-room” to claim luggage and pay corkage fee. Really slows down getting your luggage. As already mentioned much better off hand carrying them on. 

I'm not trying to get out of paying the corkage fee and I certainly don't want to go to the naughty room!.  It's just that the bottles will have been in my checked luggage from the flight.  Sounds like I'll need to find a moment to get them out and transfer them to my hand luggage.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bunnyhead said:

NCL doesn't specify how many bottles you can bring.  I am thinking I'll bring 2 (one for me, one for husband) just to play it safe--I don't have the FAS.  Are they going to care if I put both bottles in my suitcase?

If you put the bottles in your checked luggage, it will be confiscated by Security. You then spend time waiting in a [long] line at Security on the first night of your getting all of the contents of your bags searched by security and contraband confiscated. 

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

If you put the bottles in your checked luggage, it will be confiscated by Security. You then spend time waiting in a [long] line at Security on the first night of your getting all of the contents of your bags searched by security and contraband confiscated. 

You would think NCL would give clear instructions re: the proper way to carry on bottles of wine or champagne.  I'm not doubting your statement, but there's nothing in their written policy that prohibits bringing it in your checked bag.

15 minutes ago, Bunnyhead said:

You would think NCL would give clear instructions re: the proper way to carry on bottles of wine or champagne.  I'm not doubting your statement, but there's nothing in their written policy that prohibits bringing it in your checked bag.

It’s not exactly prohibited, but if you check it the only way they can charge corkage is to get the passenger to the room where the bag is held, they’re not going to open your bag.

It will depend on embarkation port.

(Also some regular ports)

Security are not all in the pockets of the cruise lines and don't care what beverages you have in your bags checked or carrying.

Ships don't rescan the bags.

Some ports the duty free shops are after the security screening, no further checks by ship, the volunteer surrender desk will not have much work.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 9:27 PM, BirdTravels said:

Are there reports of the wine being confiscated? Or do they just charge the corkage fee?  I would bet there are folks who fly into the cruise with wine in their checked bag that don't have a clue that they should have put it in the carry on bag or others who just don't know the policy.  Seems like NCL would just collect the corkage fee.

6 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Are there reports of the wine being confiscated? Or do they just charge the corkage fee?  I would bet there are folks who fly into the cruise with wine in their checked bag that don't have a clue that they should have put it in the carry on bag or others who just don't know the policy.  Seems like NCL would just collect the corkage fee.

They don't go into your luggage without you being present - thus the need to go Security and wait in a line (can be a long line!).  Once the bag is open if it's only wine/champagne if you have the FAS beverage package off you go.  If you don't then the option of corkage fee or them keeping it until the end of cruise.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

They will not open your bags and count your bottles without you being present.  Once they count they will charge the corkage fee to your on-board account (if you do not have a drinks package) and let you go on your merry way with your luggage and wines.

They will only confiscate the wine if you request them to hold the bottles until the end of the cruise.  For example, if you were traveling through Italy pre cruise and purchased some wines to bring home, and didn't wish to consume them on the ship, they will confiscate them and hold until the last day of the cruise (Just as they do when you buy a bottle of Rum in the Caribbean).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

On 9/30/2023 at 1:38 PM, Bunnyhead said:

NCL is not the US Government TSA. They do not have keys to open locks, nor would they search a back without the owner being present. 

It is not "illegal" or "prohibited" to have wine in your checked luggage, but when your bags are x-rayed and show bottles of wine, they supposed to be held by security in the "Naughty Room". The carts of confiscated bags are normally boarded last/late, so it takes time for them to get on the ship. Once your bag doesn't show up at your room by 8 pm, you are free to go stand in line and retrieve your bag. If the screener did a good job, they bag would be tagged "Wine" or "Bottles" or "Alcohol". If the screener just flags the bag as "bad", security is suppose to have you empty all of the contents of the bag for them to inspect (in case there is a weapon in there). 

Each item below represents a piece of luggage that was held by security and a bag that needed to be searched, so the naughty room line can be long. It also represents, more than likely, an angry passenger yelling and screaming in the naughty room and making demands,,,, which slows down your retrieval time. 

image.png.4ae1faf88d20aea4ea397ca627309329.png

Edited by BirdTravels

This is why I’m planning on packing a separate “naughty bag” which I plan on surrendering. Just a bag with all the things that they will want or I don’t care about so I can go when the line is short and tell them to just hold it. First I will get additional info to see what would be in the naughty bag.

I haven’t been to the naughty room yet (well not on a cruise ship at least) and only plan on it intentionally.

19 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

This is why I’m planning on packing a separate “naughty bag” which I plan on surrendering. Just a bag with all the things that they will want or I don’t care about so I can go when the line is short and tell them to just hold it. First I will get additional info to see what would be in the naughty bag.

I haven’t been to the naughty room yet (well not on a cruise ship at least) and only plan on it intentionally.

Crew hallway/staging area on Deck 6 near guest services on big ships. 

But the obvious question is,,, if you have the free drinks package, why would you be intentionally hauling around a case of wine. I get that the wine list on NCL is not stellar, but you "paid" for the drinks package, why not use it? Save the "good stuff" for home.

And if you are embarking in a US port and flying in from Canada, you are limited on alcohol imports. 

12 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Crew hallway/staging area on Deck 6 near guest services on big ships. 

But the obvious question is,,, if you have the free drinks package, why would you be intentionally hauling around a case of wine. I get that the wine list on NCL is not stellar, but you "paid" for the drinks package, why not use it? Save the "good stuff" for home.

And if you are embarking in a US port and flying in from Canada, you are limited on alcohol imports. 

I have no intention on carrying alcohol. I’m in the planning process of a cruise/camping trip. I’d be bringing camping gear including a knife over 4 inches, camp stove etc. Actually probably alcohol as well but I don’t drink wine so it would be scotch probably.

A few quick notes to add in case anyone is interested (I was before I experienced them) - 

- If you have a butler, sometimes they'll go to the naughty room for you (but as others have said, sometimes you meet wonderful people there, so keep that in mind)

- Champagne sabers will get you an introduction to the less fun officer in the security room, even if you disclose it (MANY TIMES) before/as you board.  It was all fine, but a bit of hassle, and they hold onto it and you get it back as you exit the ship (literally as you walk off, not the last night or something)

- I've noticed that staff and especially beverage managers are always happy to prepare and serve wine you bring onboard.  They don't get a lot of training on wines they don't keep aboard, so it's usually fun for them.  If you're into wine, it's lead to many great experiences for us.  

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Because the NCL wine list isn't just bad, it's terrible, many would say it's  undrinkable.  Now why would you not want really good wine on a cruise you've paid thousands for and have looked forward to for months?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Because the NCL wine list isn't just bad, it's terrible, many would say it's  undrinkable.  Now why would you not want really good wine on a cruise you've paid thousands for and have looked forward to for months?

Plus I like to drink wine on my balcony, in the past I always paid corkage for a few bottles even with the UDP.

• Like 1