Most amazing ship you have ever cruised on?

kaz828

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

“Amazing” can be read two ways.  Norwegian Gem provided my most amazingly  bad experience, while Oceania Insignia was amazing in the other direction

Oh I hadn't thought of that -- Norwegian Star: the same as your N.Gem! 

My husband was wowed by the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam when she was first launched. Now we like the newest HAL class, namely the Koningsdam. But not sure "amazing" is the right word. Welcoming and comfortable, yes.

I don't think I can name one single ship as the most amazing.   In very general terms I would say my favorites are the Princess Grand Class and Celebrity Solstice and Millennium Class ships.   Again in very general terms, I prefer ships that do not have the interior boulevards or boardwalks.   Not to say we don't use and enjoy them, especially when doing a family group cruise. 

23 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Oh I hadn't thought of that -- Norwegian Star: the same as your N.Gem! 

On the amazingly bad note, and ironically consistent with NCL, mine were Norwegian Dawn and Norwegian Sky.  

31 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

On the amazingly bad note, and ironically consistent with NCL, mine were Norwegian Dawn and Norwegian Sky.  

It seems that the cruiseline (and NCL-fans) use the excuse that those are small and old ships and that 'we' should sail the big new Norwegian ships to change our minds. But I feel strongly that if a line can't maintain its older ships, AND the morale of their crews (which was also sadly lacking) -- why should I give them another chance?

We had a fine time on RCCL's older small ship the Rhapsody OTS, as well as the two oldest ships that HAL still floats, so I know it can be done.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 11:18 AM, Suzanne123 said:

Celebrity Flora

IMG_2715.jpeg

+1. Celebrity Flora was the most amazing cruise experience I have ever had. 

Runners up are the Viking Sea and Celebrity Edge. I anticipate Viking Octantis being up there, if not #1. 

This thread has brought home to me that I don’t really think much about how “amazing” the ship was but rather where it took me and how much I enjoyed the total experience. 

My favorite cruises by far were undertaken on a small repurposed 1950s European car ferry that became the Aegean Odyssey. Nothing else comes close to comparing to their wonderful itineraries and lecturers on a ship of about 350 passengers.

On 10/4/2023 at 7:36 PM, donaldsc said:

What ship is this?  Looks like a really neat ship and cruise.

DON

USCGC EAGLE .... it was called 'a summer cruise' 😎

CG EAGLE photo

but our WINDSTAR cruises gave some of the feeling

image.png.2af193557277afc225d671129cba6abb.png

Edited by Capt_BJ

14 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

USCGC EAGLE .... it was called 'a summer cruise' 😎

CG EAGLE photo

but our WINDSTAR cruises gave some of the feeling

image.png.2af193557277afc225d671129cba6abb.png

You ought to try a Clipper cruise ship sometime.  They are more of a true sailing ship than Windstar ecen to the fact that all the sails are raised and manipulated by hauling on ropes.  You can also climb the masts and lie on the nets at the bow spirit.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

WindJammer cruises were too .... until they sank a ship in a hurricane with loss of the crew (they had off loaded pass') .... but I mention this tongue in cheek ..... Clipper has a good reputation ... my days of climbing the rigging are in the past!  Here I am at the 'truck' ..main mast EAGLE around '74 ....  

topotheworld001.jpg

and while this 150 foot climb might be impressive I offer this .....

EAGLE and Disney.jpg

do you see EAGLE there .......

Edited by Capt_BJ