New menus 2023 ?

monakayk

1 hour ago, Islander500 said:

Really appreciate your point of view.  Would love to learn more about the Oceania misses. That’s one line we were looking at closely.  It’s helpful to hear it from Celebrity cruisers because we can consider in context to what we both know & are familiar with…Thanx.  

It was a combination of things. The O cruise was a Med cruise in May on Riviera--one of their bigger ships. I realize now that some of it was what all cruise lines were and are still experiencing to varying degrees--very full ships and not enough crew. A high percentage of the crew they did have were very new and training on the job. I suspect the situation is much better now, several months later.

We were in a suite, and some of it was a very disappointing experience with their butler service (first world problem, I know). We happened to draw a dud on that front.

Finally, I was positively livid that the ship missed three ports (Lisbon, Porto, and Guernsey). Guernsey was legit high seas at a tender port, so no issue there. The reason given for the two misses in Portugal was a supposed port strike when there was no port strike and never was going to be one on the dates we were to visit. It was infuriating watching cruise ships from other lines sailing in and out of those ports while we got bonus sea days. NCL ships (O belongs to NCL) were missing a suspiciously large number of ports at that time, often for the flimsiest of reasons. I still don't understand the economics of port skipping, but I'm 100% convinced that hitting a quarterly revenue target had something to do with the decision. I created a bit of a firestorm on the O board when I wrote about this in way too much detail. You can hunt it down if you're interested, but it's probably best if you don't.

There were some great aspects to that cruise as well, and a prior sailing on one of their smaller R-class ships was the best cruise we've ever had. The bigger O ships have an artist in residence who offers free classes during the cruise. My wife participated in that program and it was a highlight of her trip. The excursions we took were fine, our cabin steward was the best ever, the ship was clean and lovely. The specialty restaurants (included for all passengers at no extra charge), the buffet and the MDR were all fantastic. The ice cream on board (included) was memorably excellent as was their grill. 

I guess I'm trying to say that you shouldn't let my specific issues dissuade you from trying O out. The other people in our party (there were 10 of us) all had a wonderful experience, and I know that at least one of the couples has booked another cruise on O already.

And now back to your regularly scheduled X food discussion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, hankandteri said:

It was a combination of things. The O cruise was a Med cruise in May on Riviera--one of their bigger ships. I realize now that some of it was what all cruise lines were and are still experiencing to varying degrees--very full ships and not enough crew. A high percentage of the crew they did have were very new and training on the job. I suspect the situation is much better now, several months later.

We were in a suite, and some of it was a very disappointing experience with their butler service (first world problem, I know). We happened to draw a dud on that front.

Finally, I was positively livid that the ship missed three ports (Lisbon, Porto, and Guernsey). Guernsey was legit high seas at a tender port, so no issue there. The reason given for the two misses in Portugal was a supposed port strike when there was no port strike and never was going to be one on the dates we were to visit. It was infuriating watching cruise ships from other lines sailing in and out of those ports while we got bonus sea days. NCL ships (O belongs to NCL) were missing a suspiciously large number of ports at that time, often for the flimsiest of reasons. I still don't understand the economics of port skipping, but I'm 100% convinced that hitting a quarterly revenue target had something to do with the decision. I created a bit of a firestorm on the O board when I wrote about this in way too much detail. You can hunt it down if you're interested, but it's probably best if you don't.

There were some great aspects to that cruise as well, and a prior sailing on one of their smaller R-class ships was the best cruise we've ever had. The bigger O ships have an artist in residence who offers free classes during the cruise. My wife participated in that program and it was a highlight of her trip. The excursions we took were fine, our cabin steward was the best ever, the ship was clean and lovely. The specialty restaurants (included for all passengers at no extra charge), the buffet and the MDR were all fantastic. The ice cream on board (included) was memorably excellent as was their grill. 

I guess I'm trying to say that you shouldn't let my specific issues dissuade you from trying O out. The other people in our party (there were 10 of us) all had a wonderful experience, and I know that at least one of the couples has booked another cruise on O already.

And now back to your regularly scheduled X food discussion.

Thank you. I can certainly understand your disappointment and how that affected your opinion. I would have been pretty upset, too. Those ports in Portugal are wonderful and I’m sure you were expecting they would be a highlight of your cruise. Much appreciated and hope you’ll be able to go back to visit Portugal sometime when you’re ready.  

An example of the difference between BLU and the MDR. The second chic night had Filet Mignon (for the second time) in BLU. Not once in 12 nights in the MDR. Ordered surf and turf (filet and lobster), the waiter said I will bring two, they are small. Would have been a $35 (plus 20%) upcharge in the MDR.

MDRNight11.thumb.jpg.177b249c7ca79210dae38ae56f911a88.jpg

BLUNight11.thumb.jpg.f9f590972c979e79f86bbc09919dda68.jpg

SurfandTurf.thumb.jpg.b4c50041e5b981a2dd0367ef9e3055a1.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 7:06 AM, hcat said:

we will be in BLU next but could manage those menus with some creative ordering..

Presentation of  the food itself is no longer appetizing, but  of course it's the taste that counts. 

No idea where X sources its food but where we are in NY and Fl...quality of meat is down..prices are up. Only get top quality at upscale restaurants at premium cost!

Who else might imagine this in March 2020 except me (I predicted all this mess during our Shmandemic March 8-24, 2020 cruise on Ponant Le Soleal)?  And it is not any business' fault.  One may not blame any entity for survival not caused by that entity's own foolishness or self-infliction.

12 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

An example of the difference between BLU and the MDR. The second chic night had Filet Mignon (for the second time) in BLU. Not once in 12 nights in the MDR. Ordered surf and turf (filet and lobster), the waiter said I will bring two, they are small. Would have been a $35 (plus 20%) upcharge in the MDR.

MDRNight11.thumb.jpg.177b249c7ca79210dae38ae56f911a88.jpg

BLUNight11.thumb.jpg.f9f590972c979e79f86bbc09919dda68.jpg

SurfandTurf.thumb.jpg.b4c50041e5b981a2dd0367ef9e3055a1.jpg

Now the Blu menu looks rather good.

The MDR menu is rubbish...

• Like 4

On 10/6/2023 at 2:22 PM, Islander500 said:

Based on my Summit cruise last week, you are correct; the Oceanview Buffet has definitely improved from what was reported a few months ago.  At least on Summit, there were many stations open at dinner and the freshly made stir-fry was thankfully back.

Ask me how I know?  The menu in BLU was so diminished in choice and quality we "dined" on the stir-fry in the Oceanview twice in 11 nights, plus ate a salad the evening before disembarkation (when the 4 entree choices in BLU were Tuna, Duck Confit, Meatloaf and Mushroom Risotto) so a total of 3 nights.  For point of comparison, we'd never chosen to skip BLU in over 20 cruises when we have paid the AQ price specifically to dine in BLU.  And that doesn't even include the 2 nights we just gave up and ordered from the MDR menu.

Back in Spring 2019 the cost to move up from a regular verandah to AQ was 200 PP for a 14 day TA. Now its far more of a spread and thats taking into account with AQ you get , usually, basic internet,  drinks and  grats. So apples to apples quite a bit more now.

When we  received FCC for 2 cruises canceled in late 2020, (900 of depost money for each) we quipped that we could do 2 carribean cruises inside cabin and basically go on the cheap. Well, those "cheap" inside cabins with basic internet , classic drinks and grats is now up to 4500 list price for a 9 day cruise. Might be able to get a last minute 7 day for 450 pp plus the internet  drinks and grats.

It might be me getting old and cheap, but its no longer a value to cruise. We have one open right now and wil go, but frankly, our expectations are low, so we probably wil be fine.

The Celebrity analogy is like a marriage of long-term. We get older, and may gain  a few pounds,less agile, less hair, more stay at home et al. It's not the same, but unlike  Celebrity where we can divorce it very easily, we are pretty happy being able to age together.

But we can do a 35 day land trip in Europe for the same 9000 +/- for inside cabins with grats internet and drinks. Forget comparing BLU or Suites, or usings speciality dining at 60 a crack. . And dine well and have sufficient drinks. We spend the same but do more. Benefit is we see full days 8 Am to 10 PM carousing around cities towns and villiages. Downside--this opportunity is only good for as along as health is good as if not , it's back to cruising which is easier on the body.

On fillingcabins, look out to the future, Overall travel is in decline. Just because of a weak economy. Ya need money to do almost any travel now.

Edited by HMR74
  • Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 5:19 PM, zitsky said:

I guess my problem is I can’t tell the different between French escargot and American

Unless you are eating at some pretty fine restaurants in possibly NY or Washington, I would doubt you have ever had American escargot. I did a little deep dive on snails back during the shortage in 2019 or so. They are considered invasive pests in the US, and consequently I believe there are only 2 farms producing snails in the US (maybe 150,000 snails a year total between them?), and they cannot be shipped live. And I think those farms have only been around for about ten years or so. If you have had American escargot, can you tell me how it compares? 

7 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

My jarring difference is

no filet mignon on the child's menu.

There are many other changes but that is the one says cost cutting.

thanks.

Also no filet mignon on any of the 14 MDR adult menus !!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RedIguana said:

Unless you are eating at some pretty fine restaurants in possibly NY or Washington, I would doubt you have ever had American escargot. I did a little deep dive on snails back during the shortage in 2019 or so. They are considered invasive pests in the US, and consequently I believe there are only 2 farms producing snails in the US (maybe 150,000 snails a year total between them?), and they cannot be shipped live. And I think those farms have only been around for about ten years or so. If you have had American escargot, can you tell me how it compares? 

That might have been a joke.  But I bet the snails from my backyard are pretty good with garlic and butter.  Who needs French food anyway?

• Haha 2

The so called "new Menu" for the MDR  was on the app for my Nov 4th sailing on the Summit, but I just noticed that it has now been removed.

Are they changing again? Maybe they have listened  to all  bad feedback and are adding more options, One can only hope . 

• 3 weeks later...

i haven't been on celebrity in 10 years. however i was on rccl twice this year and the difference in the main dining room on two sailings only two months apart was so bad that both families sailing have sworn off rccl for good. many of the same changes occured on rccl as celebrity which makes sense since they are owned by the same company. there was a new menu put in effect in between the two cruises which we did not anticipate. on the positive side, all else was as good as ever. now we just got off an oceania cruise a few weeks ago and never expected a celebrity or rccl cruise would be comparable food wise. that explains much of the price difference. looking at the new celebrity menus i am sure i will find several choices but my wife is pickier and i suspect she will be ordering apps for her mains several nights. in summary, we go on mass market ships with lower expectations on the food but high ones for the overall experience. i assume that will still work on our upcoming one on ascent in february.

1 hour ago, thatbloominplace said:

i haven't been on celebrity in 10 years. however i was on rccl twice this year and the difference in the main dining room on two sailings only two months apart was so bad that both families sailing have sworn off rccl for good. many of the same changes occured on rccl as celebrity which makes sense since they are owned by the same company. there was a new menu put in effect in between the two cruises which we did not anticipate. on the positive side, all else was as good as ever. now we just got off an oceania cruise a few weeks ago and never expected a celebrity or rccl cruise would be comparable food wise. that explains much of the price difference. looking at the new celebrity menus i am sure i will find several choices but my wife is pickier and i suspect she will be ordering apps for her mains several nights. in summary, we go on mass market ships with lower expectations on the food but high ones for the overall experience. i assume that will still work on our upcoming one on ascent in february.

Last night I was looking at the X App for my equinox cruise in January, figuring out what nights we go to Specialty dining.

Not sure if its the right, current  menu or not, or how any times it could and will change.

Very few exciting appetizers (MDR), but 3 choices of soups which is ok as I like soups,  so I could be happy.  But the salads and apps are so uninspiring that it's a shame. Not angry like some are but still disappointed. We used to like a 2 hour even paced dinner, spreading a few drinks over the  2 hours, enjoying a good meal, conversing with other couples at neighboring tables (we dine late which is a different atmosphere in dining room than earlier)  however, thats apparently, a thing in the past.

Oh well, perhaps we get a new menu. Whatever.

I am still seeing the new menus on my December cruise.

However in looking at the wine choices for the MDR I am not impressed.  Many classic wines,  but I am not seeing the premium wines or premium wines with an upcharge ...  Why get the premium package if you only get classic wines?  Trying to figure this one out...

5 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I am still seeing the new menus on my December cruise.

However in looking at the wine choices for the MDR I am not impressed.  Many classic wines,  but I am not seeing the premium wines or premium wines with an upcharge ...  Why get the premium package if you only get classic wines?  Trying to figure this one out...

on wine, I would  think that if I have the premium drink package, if the do not have premium wines ther they will get a couple of bottles of it for the duration of the cruise.

But the problem is they are selling the upcharge to premium is on the low end. Like 8.50 per day.

So I would think most would want the premium

I just learned recently that they do not have premium coffee in MDR. No room for the machines.  Duh, I thought, what kind of ragtag organization wil sell or say something like premium coffee is included but you cannot get it.

Then they  (exec center) said I might be able to have my server go get it from anogther area....just what I want, a cold cup of premium coffee. Hope they have plenty of microwaves to make up for no coffee makers.

My opinion is this company is just not well managed and run. Sure, we have lockdowns but good top level mgt is on top of that type of curve balls that get thrown. The premium wine and premium coffee in MDR have been around for a long time and problems should  have been resolved  by now.

But, I think as I type, if we are not happy during  the cruise which does not get fixed they will happily give us OBC for the next cruise  on  X that we do not want to take.

17 hours ago, thatbloominplace said:

You kind of skipped over your whole Oceania experience.  Was it not memorable?