HELP! My sons ESTA is pending for the fourth day. We sail in a transatlantic from Southampton on Sunday. What can we do?

ellie1145

Our (adult) son did his ESTA on the app on Sunday night and it’s still showing PENDING 

Nobody will help even though he rang the help line. 

So what on earth can we do? It’s been 4 days and they say 72 hours. We are frantic as we think he won’t be allowed to board 

Has anyone faced this problem please? 

55 minutes ago, ellie1145 said:

Our (adult) son did his ESTA on the app on Sunday night and it’s still showing PENDING 

So what on earth can we do? It’s been 4 days and they say 72 hours. We are frantic as we think he won’t be allowed to board 

The app is useless, go online and apply again. We just did it for my wife and had her ESTA in less than 10 minutes.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, crazyank said:

The app is useless, go online and apply again. We just did it for my wife and had her ESTA in less than 10 minutes.

Thank you for your input. We will try it. When he rang he was told not to do it again as it would put him at the back of the queue! 🙈

46 minutes ago, crazyank said:

Had you already applied in the app? It’s really worrying knowing what to do. 

So sorry you are experiencing this.

We also had issues applying via the app on Tuesday. The payment page never came up. We submitted a Help Desk ticket and the automatic response said to expect a reply in 3-5 working days.

Fortunately on checking back in the app, the payment page came up and we could finalize the application. But so stressful.

Was he able to submit and make payment successfully?

4 minutes ago, carolerwo said:

So sorry you are experiencing this.

We also had issues applying via the app on Tuesday. The payment page never came up. We submitted a Help Desk ticket and the automatic response said to expect a reply in 3-5 working days.

Fortunately on checking back in the app, the payment page came up and we could finalize the application. But so stressful.

Was he able to submit and make payment successfully?

His payment has also not been taken. 

I applied using the app. At thd very end (after answering the questions yes or no on criminal record and prior expulsion etc etc) i was expecting the payment page. The app jumped straight to the pending page without letting me pay. I did have an application number from this though. 

i started a new application and immediately was stopped as an application with this passport has already been made. 

After panic i then went to the web site and checked my application using the number given. This gave me the same pending page as the app, still no payment. 

after a few attempts to get to the payment page finally on the app the payment page appeared. This was about after 3 hours expired. I was then able to pay and all ok. I then completed my wifes app with no problem. 

my suggestion is to keep reloading the app page to check status. 

if you have questions write  back. 

15 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

It’s the $14 tax non-Americans who don’t need a visa have to pay to enter the US.

It’s the $14 tax that some non-Americans who don’t need a visa have to pay to enter the US. Canadians, for example, require neither a visa nor ESTA.

3 hours ago, crazyank said:

Had you already applied in the app? It’s really worrying knowing what to do. 

I guess this is a stupid question but would they allow him to get off in Bermuda and fly home from there without entering the US? So no ESTA required? 

Would we need to discuss this with RCI? 

I fear you can’t just disembark wherever you want to. 

1 hour ago, gumshoe958 said:

It’s the $14 tax non-Americans who don’t need a visa have to pay to enter the US.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

It’s the $14 tax that some non-Americans who don’t need a visa have to pay to enter the US. Canadians, for example, require neither a visa nor ESTA.

It's not $14 any more. When we got ours this past April the cost was $21.

• Like 1

The missing payment is the problem. Op the application will stay forever in a pending status unless your son finds a way to pay it. See a previous answer about payment issues through the app. The worst thing you and your son can do is just wait. There is a problem with the non-payment and it won’t resolve on its’ own. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

The missing payment is the problem. Op the application will stay forever in a pending status unless your son finds a way to pay it. See a previous answer about payment issues through the app. The worst thing you and your son can do is just wait. There is a problem with the non-payment and it won’t resolve on its’ own. 

This!

What is the payment status showing on your application?

As European_Cruisegirl has said, unless this is “paid” it treats the application as incomplete and won’t process it any further. It should also show a cutoff date when it will simply cancel the application unless you complete it. 

The fee is an application fee rather than an issuance fee, so it’s payable irrespective of the outcome. I suspect this is where your problem lies. Can you complete the payment on the website rather than an app? Although random applications are pulled for additional screening, I suspect completing the payment will resolve your problem.

Fingers crossed! 

IMG_5258.jpeg

Edited by Jetdriver787
Added photo

15 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

Did he use the offical CPB site? Or did he use one of the for profit sites you see on google?. Has he been to the bank and told them to approve the payment if it still pending perhaps the bank have stopped it?

He he had problems going to America in the past?.

Edited by ace2542

If the payment has not been taken I would be tempted to reapply, they normally take the payment straight away.  Can you see an authorisation for the Money?  If not then I would say there's been a glitch.

The helpline cant do anything with a pending approval ESTA, all they tell you to do is wait.

I assume you used the official CBP Esta site?

Got to ask why you left it so late to do it.  ESTA are valid for 2 years and I would suggest anyone does it straight away after booking to avoid last minute issues.

• Like 1

Sounds like it's a problem with payment as others have said, can you keep trying the payment page as suggested or try on the website.

I did ours last week on the website for a cruise in 6 weeks time and both came through in an hour, had a friend once who left it until the last minute and it took a few days so always do it in plenty of time. 

Hope it all works out for you.