Report on Noordam October.

HappyInVan

Recently got off the 7D Pacific Coastal itinerary out of Vancouver. We visited Victoria (too cold and windy), San Francisco (too hot to walk about), San Pedro (hot hot), and Avalon before docking in San Diego.

Was pleasantly surprised. The ship was in great shape and I (mostly) enjoyed the experience.

Good:

Received a check in time of 1240. Simply walked onto the ship after clearing security. Immigration clearance was in SF before disembarkation. No crowds in the waiting room.

Mostly dined in MDR. Food was well prepared, sauces were tasty, and service was upmarket. Compliments to GM Babak Shaghaghi, FB Melvyn Lobo, Chef Mahendran Sethupathy. No problems with room service for breakfast.

The ships interior was refurbished with much texture and patterns. Plenty of comfortable seats, and a pleasant atrium. Oddly, customer service and excursions were on Deck 1 (unlike the K'dam and V'dam).

The floor of the promenade looked new, with many comfortable new loungers in the shade. And, the new library looked smart with shiny new hardcovers.

My SY room was comfortable. The carpentry was so new that the drawers were stuck. Had to use force to open them. The balcony was wide enough for two chairs and two loungers.

We were sailing with only 1,600 pax (instead of 1,900). Still the ship felt spacious. IMO, the lift lobbies were exceptionally wide. You could cater a small reception in the mid-ship lift lobby. There was the bonus of 4 outside elevators (2 on each side).

The cruise's highlights were the scenic sunrise and sunsets on entry/exit of the ports. In addition, we sighted a pod of whales near Victoria, and a large pod of dolphins that crossed our bow between SF and LA.

Con:

Entertainment/Education was limited. Usual lounge singers, games and classes. CD Erin Karpovich conducted two familiar EXC talks. World Stage also had stage singers, a comedian, and two performances of Step One. IMHO, a modern dance troupe like Step One had too little space onstage to create a presence.

Staff was great on embarkation. The friendliness steadily decline. They were working hard even with the ship not fully occupied.

The Lido buffet was really small. You had to walk around both sides to see the full selection. Unlike the larger ships where the full selection was available portside and starboard. Overall, the food was okay. No liquid scrambled eggs for breakfast as on the K'dam.

Frankly, both pools were tiny like children's pool.

Conclusion: Some will like smaller ships like this Vista-class vessel (launched 2005). However, the older ships need continuous maintenance and upgrading. On my balcony, there was a new wooden banister and plenty of rust on the railings. In my washroom, there was a small separate shower cubicle but covered by a cheap curtain.

IMHO, HAL will only halt its decline by investing in smaller new ships. Continuous refurbishment extends the live of old ships. But, there's a limit on how much longer the old ships remain relevant.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Here's a few photos of the Noordam interior, as well as one of the Sea View pool area just before we left Vancouver. The other ship was the Nieuw Amsterdam.

DSC_5874.jpg

DSC_5921.jpg

DSC_5932.jpg

DSC_5993.jpg

DSC_6086.jpg

DSC_5868.jpg

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Here are a few photos from the itinerary. Chilly and windy Victoria, Golden Gate Bridge and the ever abundant pelicans. San Pedro as we exited at sunset. The tourist-infested harbor at Avalon. The naval heritage in San Diego as we docked in heavy fog.

DSC_5943.jpg

DSC_6172.jpg

DSC_6325.jpg

DSC_6676.jpg

DSC_6700.jpg

DSC_6775.jpg

DSC_6819.jpg

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Thank you for your comments.

Is that the Oak Room in photo four?

Yes, its the Oak Room next to the Crows Nest. Haven't seen anything like this on another ship. The chairs were very comfortable.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, erewhon said:

Thank you for your reply, guess it is now a smoke free room.?

Absolutely!  

BTW, here's what I would like to see more of. Brand new loungers and plenty of them.

DSC_6434.jpg

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for this....I have a short 5 day booked on her next spring, from Vancouver to Ketchikan return.  The only other Vista class ship I've sailed on is the Oosterdam.  Hope she looks as good then as she does in your photos!

L.

• Thanks 1

Here is my own SF port stop report on this cruise to our very lively cruise Roll Call group for this cruise, a stop which we faced with no small amount of trepidation.

This was also the cruise were at the last minute they took away our planned Monterey and Santa Barbara port stops and substituted San Pedro (LA) and Avalon, Catalina.  Agree, over all the cruise was nice surprise and the ship as reported was in lovely condition.

......."SF - the biggest surprise. Inundated by the horror stories of poop city for years,  we were expecting the worst and almost did not want to do anything and be reminded of what happened to the city we both knew and loved while growing up in the Bay Area in the 1950's.

We did do the entire Hop on Hop Off route and came away very pleasantly surprised how little looked really abandoned and damaged by the vagrant camps. Yes, they were there but not as pervasive as we were expecting while much of the city still did look sparkling and attractive. Our port side cabin had a dazzling view across the city and the Golden Gate Bridge.  The commentary on the HoHO was almost laughable and saccharine, but why sell a real experience to day tripping tourists?

Yet, there seemed something empty about the streets and parts of Market Street were very much abandoned. The Montgomery Street BART stop was the entry into the financial business district and it had none of its former bustle. Fisherman's Wharf while pleasant, had none of its original fishing port appeal. Probably has not had it for years as the Italian fishing families moved on to politics and real estate development. Yet people were out, strolling and enjoying themselves. Golden Gate Park looked pristine and lovely - again with many families out enjoying its many attractions.  

Is SF a city that is just too good to die? Or be killed. We came away with a new perspective about its wholesale reputation for urban decay, and can only wish it the best. When the sun went down,  out came the hot-rodders probably doing wheelies on the downtown streets so the real story about SF may not really be known or experienced on a single day port stop."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The oddities of California October weather on this cruise - yes, it was hot in SF, very hot in LA, but we were caught in an intermittent fog bank off Catalina and could not even see the island from the anchored ship at first, while the fog horns blasted every few minutes.

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

San Francisco was too hot to walk around? That is a never heard before complaint!

Sometimes happens around beginning of October. I did some work out there for several years, while living on the East Coast. Evidently, in a lot of years around the autumnal equinox the prevailing wind patterns shift to blow in from the Central Valley out to sea. It can lead to rather warm temperatures. One year, I brought a jacket with me to San Francisco in June and needed it. When I returned in early October, high temperatures were pushing 100 F.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

Sometimes happens around beginning of October. I did some work out there for several years, while living on the East Coast. Evidently, in a lot of years around the autumnal equinox the prevailing wind patterns shift to blow in from the Central Valley out to sea. It can lead to rather warm temperatures. One year, I brought a jacket with me to San Francisco in June and needed it. When I returned in early October, high temperatures were pushing 100 F.

I am fully aware...I have lived in the Bay Area for almost all of my 66 years. The hottest day was 91, with a couple days in the upper 80s. That was during Fleet Week...definitely a time to be out and about in SF.

7 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I am fully aware...I have lived in the Bay Area for almost all of my 66 years. The hottest day was 91, with a couple days in the upper 80s. That was during Fleet Week...definitely a time to be out and about in SF.

It was Fleet Week when we in SF- with a tribute to deceased Senator Diane Feinstein who was 'lying in state" (not technically) at the SF City Hall, since she had initiated Fleet Week as a SF city council person.  Groups of well-mannered Navy personnel out having a good time, and showing off some of their ships docked along the Embarcadero.

Old advice from my mother circa 1950's, when visiting SF as a teenager with friends in our hats, suits and gloves .........never talk to the sailors!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Absolutely!  

BTW, here's what I would like to see more of. Brand new loungers and plenty of them.

DSC_6434.jpg

Those steamer chairs look great. My favourite thing on a HAL ship! I see they have covered them with light fabric. I wonder about the wisdom of this. We saw the same thing on the Zuiderdam last year but they were light striped fabric. So many marks and stains showing that they really didn’t look very good. I get that they probably wanted a lighter look to go with the refurbished interiors, but the old dark blue or dark red fabrics were much more practical.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

San Francisco was too hot to walk around? That is a never heard before complaint!

I was there too and didn’t notice a heat wave but after a summer in Texas everything north of hell feels pretty good 😊 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Absolutely!  

DSC_6434.jpg

These are very comfortable loungers, since the leg rest is angled on these old teak classics. Wonderful part of being on this Vista ship. They could use this style in the extra-cost "retreat" cabanas. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The weather was strange on this voyage. SF and LA reached 29-30 Celsius at noon. In SF, Noordam docked at 11am, and I got off at noon.

The problem in SF was its high humidity. Felt very uncomfortable. Did not sweat. We docked at Pier 35 and I walked to Pier 39 to view the seals. Turned around and returned to the ship, instead of walking on to Fisherman's Pier. Had intended on taking the F trolley at Jones, and on to the Sausalito ferry.

In San Pedro, I got off the ship at 1000. I walked along the Parkway to the Municipal Building where I took Bus 142 to Long Beach. The city was very neat and clean. On the way back, I decided not to bother with Cabrillo Aquarium. Got off at Gaffey at 1st and walked downhill back to the dock. My body felt stressed. 

Fog was persistent; sea fog and coastal fog. The fog was lifting in Avalon when we docked at 0700. By 1100, it was clear. Then, it rolled back in at 2:30pm!

DSC_6720.jpg

DSC_6722.JPG