Which Cruise Would You Pick?

starstruck05

So right now, Mom and I are scheduled in April of 2025 to go to Alaska from Seattle. Never been to Alaska or Seattle for that matter. However today a 16 day Journeys cruise from NOLA (our homeport) to Barcelona is now available. That one is 4 days after the Alaska one ends so no way to do both. We have plenty of time to decide. Which would you pick? We've also never been to Barcelona either. 

I thought the flights would be outrageous but if I was to buy flights from Barcelona now it's less than $1000 for both of us. Obviously the price will be different 2 years from now but at the moment it's not unaffordable. Even the cruise in a balcony room is only $1300 pp which is less than I payed for our upcoming Mardi Gras cruise. Alaska is indeed a bucket list trip and Barcelona wasn't originally but it is now 🤣 since I can Uber 10 minutes from my house to Port of NO. 

Are you suggesting Barcelona is going somewhere?

Starstruck05, there are a million factors that would go into such a decision, and they will all be subjective.  For example, do you like lots of consecutive sea days?  If so, a transatlantic could be wonderful.  If not, it could be Hell.  While I get why you are soliciting opinions, ultimately only you can make the call…

28 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I don’t think I would do Alaska in April…a bit cold, and you might not get in for glacier viewing due to ice.  EM

That was indeed a concern of mine, mostly if we would make the glaciers. I don't mind the cold.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Drew B 58 said:

Are you suggesting Barcelona is going somewhere?

Starstruck05, there are a million factors that would go into such a decision, and they will all be subjective.  For example, do you like lots of consecutive sea days?  If so, a transatlantic could be wonderful.  If not, it could be Hell.  While I get why you are soliciting opinions, ultimately only you can make the call…

Going to Barcelona from New Orleans on a cruise is almost unheard of so yeah in that aspect it's going somewhere 🤣. Seadays are a blessing. I would take a cruise to no where if it was still a thing. Trust cruise critic won't make the decision for us, logistics would. I was just interested to see what my cruise critic buddies would pick. I'm blessed enough to even have a choice and I honestly wish I could do both.

• Like 2

Barcelona but if you're budgeting, be aware of costs.  One way repositioning cruises are most often the best values, typically because of the cost of airfare  Be aware that the flight cost will be closer to $1000pp than $500.  OW tickets to/from Europe are expensive - it's typically cheaper to buy a RT.  The lowest priced tickets you see on flight searches generally combine multiple fares on various low cost carriers.  Be aware that if you fly one carrier from New Orleans to XXX, then another carrier from XXX to Barcelona, you will pay the fees (including baggage) separately on each airline.  Also pay attention to baggage fees because they can be hefty flying long-haul --- and most European carriers are strict about weight.  Also note you follow the baggage fees of the first airline you're traveling with.

Always be weary of the low cost long-haul carriers.  I say this only because we're booked on a cruise across the Atlantic shortly that we got an incredible deal on.  We then bought flight tickets for less than $300pp (including baggage and meals-yes those cost extra on low cost carriers-but not seats).  Well, less than a month out the low cost carrier ended the seasonal service early.  So we had to buy replacement tickets at nearly $900pp.  

Just something to think about.

Edited by Itried4498

9 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

Barcelona but if you're budgeting, be aware of costs...

Always be weary of the low cost long-haul carriers.  I say this only because we're booked on a cruise across the Atlantic shortly that we got an incredible deal on.  We then bought flight tickets for less than $300pp (including baggage and meals-yes those cost extra on low cost carriers-but not seats).  Well, less than a month out the low cost carrier ended the seasonal service early.  So we had to buy replacement tickets at nearly $900pp.  

Yikes!!🫣