What happens next on Queen Mary2?

Millieloulou

We are really interested in what goes on for our beautiful ship’s long awaited refit

Do all the crew disembark and rejoin later?
Does the captain stay with the ship whilst she’s in Rotherham?

Are all the stores taken off?

Why is she going to Rotterdam and not where she was built?

Over to you ,Cunarders.

16 minutes ago, Millieloulou said:

Crew do not normally leave the ship as there are a 1001 jobs that have to be done whilst the ship is in dry dock.

17 minutes ago, Millieloulou said:

Most likely.

18 minutes ago, Millieloulou said:

No

18 minutes ago, Millieloulou said:

Any number of reasons.There seems to be a trend at the moment for Carnival ships to use Rotterdam - I know that some ships are having an air lubrication system fitted which is being done in Rotterdam so that may be the main reason.

7 hours ago, Millieloulou said:

As noted above, no.  There will be over 1000 sub-contractors onboard (the shipyard does not do the renovations of the hotel side of the ship, the cruise line hires sub-contractors to do this, and they live onboard) that will need to be housed and fed by the cabin stewards, galley and restaurant staff.  Other staff will be used to clean up daily after the sub-contractors, and to provide "fire watch" for shipyard workers doing cutting and welding around the ship (since the welder cannot watch where the sparks are going, a "fire watch" with an extinguisher is stationed both where the work is being done, and also on the other side of walls, or decks, where things could catch fire).

All ship's officers remain onboard, just like the crew.  The Captain's job doesn't end when the ship is in dry dock, it gets even more difficult.

No.  Unlike commercial ships in dry dock, cruise ships have the capability of connecting a hose to a sea water inlet on the hull, and another hose on the sea water outlet, and the shipyard provides sea water for cooling a ship's generator using one of the dry dock pumps.  Therefore, all hotel services are maintained throughout the docking, so the walk in fridges and freezers remain in service to feed the crew and sub-contractors.

While I believe that Chantiers (where QM2 was built) does do ship repair, many yards specialize in new building only, and don't take ships back for subsequent repairs.  Also, the time frame for the ship to dry dock is set by statute, and so the cruise line will look for a shipyard that has a dry dock available at the time needed, and for the requisite length of time needed.  Dry docks are limited real estate, and as such are in great demand (remember, dry docks are used by commercial ships as well, and cruise ships only account for about 5% of all the ships in the world), and are typically booked years in advance.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I don’t think it’s really a refit it’s more dry dock for essential and legally required maintenance. I think there will be some areas re carpeted  re upholstered  and redecorated etc..  and I understand the WiFi will be upgraded in cabins but as for major changes I think people may be disappointed. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

I don’t think it’s really a refit it’s more dry dock for essential and legally required maintenance. I think there will be some areas re carpeted  re upholstered  and redecorated etc..  and I understand the WiFi will be upgraded in cabins but as for major changes I think people may be disappointed. 

essentially correct  major refit in 26

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I remember Chengkp75 saying that his hair got greyer by the day, when he was a chief and the ship was in for a refit.

And what didn't turn gray, fell out faster.  I also tended to develop a twitch whenever the word "Chief" was shouted.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

@sogne a refit or similar in 2026? So glad to hear that, I would really love to do a TA in QM2...one day...(dreaming!) I am very new to cruising/"voyaging", but I have always been fascinated with things maritime, and I am enchanted by QM2. I am wondering how much longer her life expectancy is as a liner on TA voyages. Any thoughts/inside information? I have booked a ten-day sailing from Fremantle (Perth Aust) to Sydney in Feb 2024 in case she is retired, and I never get to sail across the Atlantic. At least I will have been on an ocean liner. Can't wait!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, maggielou362 said:

I am wondering how much longer her life expectancy is as a liner on TA voyages

She is only 20 years old so I would expect the best part of another 10 years - especially as Carnival have no new ship orders other than those already under construction.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, maggielou362 said:

@sogne a refit or similar in 2026? So glad to hear that, I would really love to do a TA in QM2...one day...(dreaming!) I am very new to cruising/"voyaging", but I have always been fascinated with things maritime, and I am enchanted by QM2. I am wondering how much longer her life expectancy is as a liner on TA voyages. Any thoughts/inside information? I have booked a ten-day sailing from Fremantle (Perth Aust) to Sydney in Feb 2024 in case she is retired, and I never get to sail across the Atlantic. At least I will have been on an ocean liner. Can't wait!

Full extensive 20 year refit in 26 to prolong her life for amther 15/20 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1