Cancellation of cruise in the Middle East

Hill Country Dakota

1 hour ago, Prosecco220 said:

As you say, factors arise during a cruise that may force the ship to avoid port. That is understandable. However, if Viking knew a full month ahead that a particular cruise could not stop in ANY of the scheduled ports, I feel sure they would cancel the cruise and give refunds. Oceania is trying to salvage this pretty expensive trip by abandoning the original itinerary and substituting an entirely different cruise. Plus they’re subjecting their customers to 9 days sailing through a war zone. 

That's saying it as straightforward as I believe it can be said.

When someone is selling a product, one bad review far, far outweighs a whole lot of good ones. And that's where social media comes in the the picture. I don't buy anything from an unknown vendor without checking them out.

5 hours ago, 1 EastEnder said:

Are you able to share what advice the attorney gave.  Did he or she suggest a class action lawsuit, or any recourse?

1 hour ago, Prosecco220 said:

As you say, factors arise during a cruise that may force the ship to avoid port. That is understandable. However, if Viking knew a full month ahead that a particular cruise could not stop in ANY of the scheduled ports, I feel sure they would cancel the cruise and give refunds. Oceania is trying to salvage this pretty expensive trip by abandoning the original itinerary and substituting an entirely different cruise. Plus they’re subjecting their customers to 9 days sailing through a war zone. 

Told me to wait see what happens with cruise. 

We are on the Nov 18 sailing of the Nautica Holy Lands and Middle East 21 day voyage. We received earlier notification that our 2 days in Jerusalem were deleted and 2 stops in Italy were added.  Disappointing enough but we could live with this. We paid large $ for our bucket list trip to Petra, Luxor and the Wadi Rum.  On October 23 we received another itinerary and the only 2 stops that were on our original itinerary were Barcelona (embarkation) and Dubai (disembarkation).  We are now going to 1 stop in France, 4 stops in Italy, 1 in Malta, 2 in Greece and a lovely 9 consecutive days just getting the ship to Dubai. We have been to all these stops and we could cruise for 9 days on our own darn boat. We were NEVER offered any options. We asked for FCC - NO, Upgrades - NO, refunds - NO.  No conversation and of course you can't cancel because it is way less than 60 days before departure.  We have never cruised with Oceania before (we are elite with Princess) and NEVER will again. they are not a high-value, Luxury cruise line with supports their clients. They. have demonstrated that their only concern is maintaining a very large bottom line.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Linda Deenen said:

I guess lucky for those who book through a travel agency. We have always booked directly with the cruise lines.  Lesson learned!  

9 minutes ago, Linda Deenen said:

I guess lucky for those who book through a travel agency. We have always booked directly with the cruise lines.  Lesson learned!  

5 hours ago, 1 EastEnder said:

Are you able to share what advice the attorney gave.  Did he or she suggest a class action lawsuit, or any 

7 hours ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

Gale force winds.  Huge waves.  We could not even go out on deck.
we each got a $100 credit for the O’Life excursion we missed.

Lots of people getting seasickness meds.

a nice surprise - The Barbie Movie in the theater.  

I was going to tell you that you should get the $100 credit, but it seems you already found out. 

On another note, this seems to be most unfortunate for Oceania that has been recently trying to groom new customers, and they get them, and then decide to treat them like this when the poop hits the fan. Can we get Sr. out of retirement to smooth this mess over?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Linda Deenen said:

Always book through a TA. Find one that offers rebates. With approx. 10% of cruise price rebate we get back from our TA, we see no reason to pay higher price by booking directly.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ORV said:

I was going to tell you that you should get the $100 credit, but it seems you already found out. 

On another note, this seems to be most unfortunate for Oceania that has been recently trying to groom new customers, and they get them, and then decide to treat them like this when the poop hits the fan. Can we get Sr. out of retirement to smooth this mess over?

Sometimes it just takes the one right person.

31 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I keep thinking about Edge, on Celebrity and going through the canal as I type this.  Hope they are all safe and make an uneventful journey.  We were on that cruise, but canceled and changed to TP from Sydney...

Per Cruisemapper the Edge, Silversea Spirit, Azamara Journey and Cunard Queen Elizabeth have recently passed through the Suez Canal either just recently or past couple days. Looks like all there now in southern portion other than Azamara. 

Edited by EJL2023

26 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Per Cruisemapper the Edge, Silversea Spirit, Azamara Journey and Cunard Queen Elizabeth have recently passed through the Suez Canal either just recently or past couple days. Looks like all there now in southern portion other than Azamara. 

Yes, I noticed that too, but things can alway change in a moment's notice.  I know there was a delay before entering, but that is not unusual.  Love Cruisemapper!  I am waiting to hear from a friend onboard who is doing a review; she is on a b2b. 

On 11/3/2023 at 12:30 PM, Charlene Jones said:

My travel agency is so angry with Oceania over its treatment of customers that they refunded me my money and are going after Oceania.  I'm beyond happy that I've been made whole, but wish it had come from Oceania as opposed to the travel agency. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Prosecco220 said:

Consumer advocate Chris Elliott (elliott.org) reports he is handling multiple complaints in regard to Oceania Middle East cruises and so far has gotten one of them resolved with a FCC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/3/2023 at 12:34 PM, SophieM said:

I think the ticket contract says you waive your right to a class action suit. 

Don't fool yourself.  Class action lawsuits are ALWAYS for the benefit of the lawyers involved.  The consumers get pennies on the dollar.  I would always choose to handle things individually rather than be part of any class action lawsuit.  I find it amusing when I am sent a random check for $1.25 in the mail for a class-action lawsuit I happened to qualified for.

• Like 3

I do think that "O" has managed to give themselves millions of dollars in very negative publicity.  Just today, there is an article in USA Today, about  the "O" itinerary situation and it does not put the line into a good light!  In fact, I suspect many who read USA Today would not ever consider booking "O."

I will add that the wishy/washy O policy changes are nothing new..  We experienced the same thing on a Marina booking during the COVID years.  After refusing to refend our money (for some major itinerary changes) "O" than relented after requests from both our cruise agency (a member of a very large consortium) and ourself. Since O did ultimately great our request (for a full refund) we subsequently booked an even longer (and much more expensive) O cruise. Screwing (for lack of a better term) one's customers is not a good long term strategy for survival.  

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Screwing (for lack of a better term) one's customers is not a good long term strategy for survival.  

I used to be in sales and we knew that keeping a happy customer was way easier than winning one back. Plus they'll tell other people. Like here.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, S4POPO said:

Don't fool yourself.  Class action lawsuits are ALWAYS for the benefit of the lawyers involved.  The consumers get pennies on the dollar.  I would always choose to handle things individually rather than be part of any class action lawsuit.  I find it amusing when I am sent a random check for $1.25 in the mail for a class-action lawsuit I happened to qualified for.

Yes I still have a check in my drawer for $ .21   

• Haha 1

Hi All friends here who book 11/29 O Middle East cruise, please check USA Today new note announcement: Editor's note: Oceania Cruises issued the Sherwoods a full refund after publication of this story. I suggest all of us call O directly and start to request the same kind of refund with same attitude that “we Getting something completely different than what you bought'. I guess O top management might change their current policy to let all of us get refund if we cancel this cruise. Let’s do it! 

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I do think that "O" has managed to give themselves millions of dollars in very negative publicity.  Just today, there is an article in USA Today, about  the "O" itinerary situation and it does not put the line into a good light!  In fact, I suspect many who read USA Today would not ever consider booking "O."

I will add that the wishy/washy O policy changes are nothing new..  We experienced the same thing on a Marina booking during the COVID years.  After refusing to refend our money (for some major itinerary changes) "O" than relented after requests from both our cruise agency (a member of a very large consortium) and ourself. Since O did ultimately great our request (for a full refund) we subsequently booked an even longer (and much more expensive) O cruise. Screwing (for lack of a better term) one's customers is not a good long term strategy for survival.  

Hank

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bmanjason said:

Hi All friends here who book 11/29 O Middle East cruise, please check USA Today new note announcement: Editor's note: Oceania Cruises issued the Sherwoods a full refund after publication of this story. I suggest all of us call O directly and start to request the same kind of refund with same attitude that “we Getting something completely different than what you bought'. I guess O top management might change their current policy to let all of us get refund if we cancel this cruise. Let’s do it! 

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Stuck with a $20,000 bill? Oceania guests struggle for refunds amid major cruise changes

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2023/11/02/oceania-cruise-refunds-israel-hamas/71406253007/

5 minutes ago, Bmanjason said:

There is also any article in “frequent floaters “