Travel kettle

Werangels

Hello

Would it be ok if we have a travel kettle in our luggage which will stay in our case whilst we are on the ship?  We are staying in a few other places and they all have nespresso machines which make a lousy cup of tea!

Thanks.

This is Azamara's list of prohibited items:

Prohibited Items
The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated. Illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

Firearms & ammunition, including realistic replicas
Sharp objects, including knives and scissors (Personal grooming items such as safety razors and scissors with blades less than 4 inches are allowed)
Illegal drugs & substances

Candles & incense
Coffee makers, clothes irons, & hot plates
Baseball bats, hockey sticks, cricket bats, bows & arrows
Skateboards & surfboards
Martial arts gear
Self-defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks
Flammable liquids and explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks
HAM radios
Dangerous chemicals, including bleach and paint
Electric water kettles
Extension Cords and Multi-Plug Outlets/Power Strips

As you can see, electric kettles are prohibited.

I suggest that on embarkation you present the kettle to Guest Relations so that there can be no 'misunderstandings'. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Werangels said:

Hello

Would it be ok if we have a travel kettle in our luggage which will stay in our case whilst we are on the ship?  We are staying in a few other places and they all have nespresso machines which make a lousy cup of tea!

Thanks.

You may find your case is delayed on delivery if the kettle is picked up by the embarkation scanners. You would eventually be asked to go to the “naughty room” and you’d probably find they will keep it until disembarkation 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, uktog said:

You may find your case is delayed on delivery if the kettle is picked up by the embarkation scanners. You would eventually be asked to go to the “naughty room” and you’d probably find they will keep it until disembarkation 

Thank you.  I thought that may be the case.  Naughty room?  That made me giggle 🤭.  

39 minutes ago, uktog said:

To avoid delay to luggage, pack the kettle separately and declare at check-in ??

Edited by anniegb
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, blag said:

This is Azamara's list of prohibited items:

Prohibited Items
The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated. Illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

Firearms & ammunition, including realistic replicas
Sharp objects, including knives and scissors (Personal grooming items such as safety razors and scissors with blades less than 4 inches are allowed)
Illegal drugs & substances

Candles & incense
Coffee makers, clothes irons, & hot plates
Baseball bats, hockey sticks, cricket bats, bows & arrows
Skateboards & surfboards
Martial arts gear
Self-defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks
Flammable liquids and explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks
HAM radios
Dangerous chemicals, including bleach and paint
Electric water kettles
Extension Cords and Multi-Plug Outlets/Power Strips

As you can see, electric kettles are prohibited.

I suggest that on embarkation you present the kettle to Guest Relations so that there can be no 'misunderstandings'. 

Thank you Blag.  Very helpful.

All you have to do is ring room service or if you want a cup of tea in the morning when you wake up just fill in the breakfast sheet and put on your door the night before and hey presto the tea  fairy turns up at the chosen time

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rosroz said:

All you have to do is ring room service or if you want a cup of tea in the morning when you wake up just fill in the breakfast sheet and put on your door the night before and hey presto the tea  fairy turns up at the chosen time

Even better (for me at least) is the tea and coffee area at the end of Windows that's open 24hrs and has a Bunn hot water dispenser and a large selection of teas/lemon slices/honey. I've been up there in the middle of the night quite a few times to make myself a cuppa. They always leave the lights on over that area. 

Phil 

5 hours ago, Rosroz said:

Thank you.  This isn’t actually for on the ship, it is for other p.a es we are staying during our trip.  We love the drinks/breakfast service on board.  

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Even better (for me at least) is the tea and coffee area at the end of Windows that's open 24hrs and has a Bunn hot water dispenser and a large selection of teas/lemon slices/honey. I've been up there in the middle of the night quite a few times to make myself a cuppa. They always leave the lights on over that area. 

Phil 

DH’s favourite too!  He prefers the coffee here than in Mosaic.  

On 10/21/2023 at 4:36 AM, uktog said:

This is precisely what happened to me on a recent cruise, (on another line).  My travel iron was picked up and I was summoned to the naughty room where I had to open my bag so it could be confiscated until the end of the cruise.   I did notice that there were quite a few other bags that were held as well, so obviously I was not the only one.

• Haha 3

How I wish that Azamara would provide a kettle for our cabin on request, and, before I get a lot of posts saying that they are dangerous and a fire risk, please let me explain that kettles and hostess trays are standard features in cabins on virtually all ships sailing from the UK.

I have requested, and received, a kettle for our cabin when sailing on Celebrity and Princess cruises in many parts of the world.

We are true Brits who like our own brand of tea made with freshly boiled water so room service water is never hot enough. There is nothing like starting the day with a proper cuppa in bed!

Here is an example…..Celebrity Infinity - Valparaiso to Rio, March 2023

IMG_1647.jpeg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Izzywiz said:

How I wish that Azamara would provide a kettle for our cabin on request, and, before I get a lot of posts saying that they are dangerous and a fire risk, please let me explain that kettles and hostess trays are standard features in cabins on virtually all ships sailing from the UK.

I have requested, and received, a kettle for our cabin when sailing on Celebrity and Princess cruises in many parts of the world.

We are true Brits who like our own brand of tea made with freshly boiled water so room service water is never hot enough. There is nothing like starting the day with a proper cuppa in bed!

IMG_1647.jpeg

Must say I agree with you. We bring our own Yorkshire Tea bags with us and use the breakfast cards to order fruit juice & tea (just using the hot water), but it’s not the same as making  a cup of tea with just boiling water.

• Like 1

It’s so nice to know that there are like minded people who sail on Azamara.

I spoke to the hotel director about the possibility of supplying kettles when we were on our last Azamara cruise in December 2022.

He said that the same request had been made many times by passengers from countries where kettles are standard features in cabins and he had referred our request to higher management. I’m not holding my breath!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Izzywiz said:

IMG_1647.jpeg

As a UK resident, the biggest factor in making quality tea is the quality not the temperature of the water. Brewing good tea in large parts of England can be challenging.

TBH as a Brit I am delighted that there are no kettles in the cabin - an accident waiting to happen - JMO.

Edited by anniegb

16 minutes ago, anniegb said:

As a UK resident, the biggest factor in making quality tea is the quality not the temperature of the water. Brewing good tea in large parts of England can be challenging.

TBH as a Brit I am delighted that there are no kettles in the cabin - an accident waiting to happen - JMO.

As a northerner living further south than is comfortable and in a hard water area, I understand completely about quality of water!!

• Like 1

I agree about the quality of the tea so that’s why we always take our own favourite brand. I also agree about the quantity of the water but, as all the water on the ship is from the same source, I know from 30 years of cruising both with and without a cabin kettle, that freshly boiled water makes all the difference for our enjoyment.

I am curious about your comment about the kettle being an accident waiting to happen. Have you experienced a problem? P&O has over 12,000 cabins, all with kettles, and that is just 1 cruise line. In all my years of cruising, I have never heard of a serious accident caused by the kettle itself. 

41 minutes ago, Izzywiz said:

I agree about the quality of the tea so that’s why we always take our own favourite brand. I also agree about the quantity of the water but, as all the water on the ship is from the same source, I know from 30 years of cruising both with and without a cabin kettle, that freshly boiled water makes all the difference for our enjoyment.

I am curious about your comment about the kettle being an accident waiting to happen. Have you experienced a problem? P&O has over 12,000 cabins, all with kettles, and that is just 1 cruise line. In all my years of cruising, I have never heard of a serious accident caused by the kettle itself. 

I don't cruise P&O and rarely sail ex UK - so no incident to report.

Yes the water on the ship may be standardised but is it of sufficient quality to brew quality tea??

In cabins with kettles occupied by families, I would be astonished if there had never been an incident but would you hear about it??

BTW my preference if for tea made in a pot using loose tea but that is another debate.

PS It could be a nice income earner for the cruise line - a supplement for supplying a kettle in the cabin 😉

Edited by anniegb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Werangels said:

As a northerner living further south than is comfortable and in a hard water area, I understand completely about quality of water!!

We have hard water where I live too and I'm very choosy about the taste so have to have a Brita water filter at home which improves the tea no end for me.  I do not like the taste of ship water particularly, but seem to get on ok with the Bunn machine in Windows (which has to be the same water from elsewhere). Don't even get me on the carafs of hot water they bring to your cabin. It all smells of stale coffee that has been in the jug before. Why they don't keep separate jugs marked "water" all of the time I don't know 🤷‍♂️

Phil  

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, excitedofharpenden said:

We have hard water where I live too and I'm very choosy about the taste so have to have a Brita water filter at home which improves the tea no end for me.  I do not like the taste of ship water particularly, but seem to get on ok with the Bunn machine in Windows (which has to be the same water from elsewhere). Don't even get me on the carafs of hot water they bring to your cabin. It all smells of stale coffee that has been in the jug before. Why they don't keep separate jugs marked "water" all of the time I don't know 🤷‍♂️

Phil  

We have a Brita One Cup which I love.  I hope you realise you have now completely put me off my morning carafe of hot water 🤢!  I am going to take some fabulous Jarrolds teabags with me to take away the lingering coffee taste I hope! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil  

All the hot water jugs onboard Onward have large hot water stickers on them, we had no problems with coffee water in the 3 weeks we were on. Disembarked on Sunday so it’s a recent experience.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Riocca said:

All the hot water jugs onboard Onward have large hot water stickers on them, we had no problems with coffee water in the 3 weeks we were on. Disembarked on Sunday so it’s a recent experience.

That's why I was careful to say "all of the time" because you can't guarantee they'll be kept separate. Certainly Journey and Quest were not like Onward and that isn't enough reason for me to stick to a particular ship. Lol 

Phil 

• Like 2