When does NCL assign guarantee Cabins?

rodndonna

We have an NCL guarantee inside booked for late January on the Viva.

Last week we received an email for bidding upgrades and we bid (fairly low)

Just noticed yesterday that our inside cabin is now actually assigned. Now that I see our cabin location which we really like, I am thinking to reduce our bid for fear of paying for an upgraded room in a crappy location.

Is it normal for NCL to assign a GTY cabin so far in advance? Is is something they do before the bidding process and we just didn't notice?

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

That is Urban Legend. Once assigned, rooms are not supposed to change. 

https://www.ncl.com/fr/en/cruise-faq/what-guarantee-stateroom-cene

“Once the stateroom has been assigned, there will be no changes.“

I hope you are right as we are going to redo our bid based on our assigned room.  I guess I can just keep checking and change bid if they reassign us to a location I don't like.

48 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

That is Urban Legend. Once assigned, rooms are not supposed to change. 

https://www.ncl.com/fr/en/cruise-faq/what-guarantee-stateroom-cene

It actually happened to me in January, and it wasn't a guarantee room.  I booked a specific inside cabin and months later NCL just arbitrarily moved me to another.  The agent I spoke with had no idea why I had been moved.  This was months before the actual cruise, so highly unlikely that it was some sudden maintenance issue.  It worked out fine.  After a bit of productive complaining by me, they tossed in a hundred bucks of OBC, and I ultimately had another agent find us (and DD) a nice pair of inside cabins one deck down.  This was on the Sky, and they were actually the nicest inside cabins we've had on any ship.  😎

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We've sailed with NCL for almost 20 years & almost always book a Sailaway/GTY cabin (usually inside).  We've gotten our cabin assignments anywhere from 3 months in advance (a European cruise on Gem) to, almost literally, the evening before sailing (we were using the NYC hotel's printer the night before to print our luggage tags!!).  In our experience we've NEVER had a cabin change EXCEPT when we've complained about price differential & gotten an upgrade (another European cruise) or 'won' the bidding lottery and gotten an upgrade (twice in the last 4 sailings).  That's our experiences with GTY cabins...

So as the ol' gambler sez, 'You pays you money and you takes you chances'...lol.

Edited by tomk3212
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, RD64 said:

“Supposed to” being the operative words - anything is possible.

Dude, the operative words are the company policy. Speculating on "what if the sky is falling" does not help the OP or anyone here on CC. It is Fake News.

Edited by BirdTravels

2 minutes ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

To the OP,

If your cabin is to your liking, keep it and stay there.

That's what we are thinking - either removing our bid or at least dropping them to absolute minimal.

The only thing we really miss on an inside is not having a sofa to sit on (chair is just not the same!), but not sure if having an Ocean view with a sofa in a crappy location is any better than just having an inside cabin in a preferred location.

As as this is our first time on the Viva and only our second NCL cruise in 15 years. it's all a crap shoot for us anyway 😃

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

That's what we are thinking - either removing our bid or at least dropping them to absolute minimal.

The only thing we really miss on an inside is not having a sofa to sit on (chair is just not the same!), but not sure if having an Ocean view with a sofa in a crappy location is any better than just having an inside cabin in a preferred location.

As as this is our first time on the Viva and only our second NCL cruise in 15 years. it's all a crap shoot for us anyway 😃

We have never booked an inside, because we need a window to see out.  Depending upon the time of year that we cruise, we book balconies in warm seasons, or ocean views when it is chillier.