which deck to go ashore on the Getaway?

dbrown84

Hello fellow cruisers.  I just booked one of the solo insides on the Getaway on a January cruise, and I had the choice of deck 9 and deck 5.  I went with deck 5 in a cabin next to the medical center because its close to the stairs/elevators, which I like.  It just occurred to me that I should have asked which deck is used to exit the ship in ports.  Does anyone know which deck is used on the Getaway?  I'm hoping it's deck 7

27 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

I'm hoping it's deck 7

Isn't deck 7 the embarkation/debarkation deck? That seems really high for a port. I want to say deck 3 is the deck I remember most, but I may have a screw loose. 😎

• Haha 1

Just now, IAcruising said:

Isn't deck 7 the embarkation/debarkation deck? That seems really high for a port. I want to say deck 3 is the deck I remember most, but I may have a screw loose. 😎

I think you're right about deck 7 being for embarkation/debarkation.  That's probably why I had deck 7 on my mind.  

41 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

Hello fellow cruisers.  I just booked one of the solo insides on the Getaway on a January cruise, and I had the choice of deck 9 and deck 5.  I went with deck 5 in a cabin next to the medical center because its close to the stairs/elevators, which I like.  It just occurred to me that I should have asked which deck is used to exit the ship in ports.  Does anyone know which deck is used on the Getaway?  I'm hoping it's deck 7

Usually 4 forward. Could be 5 if the dock configuration is bad. Not deck 7. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 1

Just now, sansroof said:

False.  It alternated between 5 and 7 on my recent 11 night Europe itinerary.

ok, no need to haggle over exactly which decks.  I think what I've learned is "it depends".  It could be one of several decks. thanks everyone

15 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

ok, no need to haggle over exactly which decks.  I think what I've learned is "it depends".  It could be one of several decks. thanks everyone

Understood, just didn’t want false information out there. On our trip, it was on 5 more than it was on 7 but it was on 7 a couple of times - and for at least one port it was both (fwd gangway on 5 / aft gangway on 7) so you could pick 🙂

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

I would never ever book a room on Deck 5.  

Lots of times it is very noisy because of setting the gangways.

Many crew cabins are on Deck 5

I'm concerned mostly about the lines/traffic blocking the cabins.  I doubt I'd be bothered by the noise, if any.  Not sure what to make of the crew cabin comment.  

Just now, www3traveler said:

Crew members work very strange hours coming and going to cabins 24/7, sometimes quiet, sometimes not.

Sometimes cabins on Deck 5 are under a bar, restaurant or the theater-- none are desirable.

ahhh, I see now about the crew cabins.  I tend to not go to my cabin/bed until between 2 and 3 in the morning and fall straight asleep after finishing whatever food I just picked up from O'Sheehan's and my last drink.  I'll sleep thru whatever noise there may be, as long as they are not actually banging on my door.  Even then I might sleep thru it :)

11 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

ahhh, I see now about the crew cabins.  I tend to not go to my cabin/bed until between 2 and 3 in the morning and fall straight asleep after finishing whatever food I just picked up from O'Sheehan's and my last drink.  I'll sleep thru whatever noise there may be, as long as they are not actually banging on my door.  Even then I might sleep thru it 🙂

One other issue would be weather.  You could have a very rough ride if your cabin is on a low deck if you sail into rough weather.  Lots of complaints the last week or two because of rough seas while sailing to or from Alaska.  The lower the deck, the more you could feel the ship's movements.

2 hours ago, www3traveler said:

One other issue would be weather.  You could have a very rough ride if your cabin is on a low deck if you sail into rough weather.  Lots of complaints the last week or two because of rough seas while sailing to or from Alaska.  The lower the deck, the more you could feel the ship's movements.

I have always found the higher the deck, you feel more movement.........as in much more movement. General rule of thumb is a low deck in the middle of the ship for a smoother ride.

Just now, mexicobob said:

I have always found the higher the deck, you feel more movement.........as in much more movement. General rule of thumb is a low deck in the middle of the ship for a smoother ride.

not that movement has ever really bothered me, but I've also read that the higher the deck, the more you feel the movement.  I've also seen plenty of posts that say low deck in the middle is what you want if you are bothered by ship movement.

I have been told for the smoothest ride possible, you need to be a close to the middle of the ship as possible both top to bottom and bow to stern.  I have had passengers tell me that you do not want a balcony or an oceanview cabin either.

• Like 1

We had an outside room on deck 5 on the Getaway and they used deck 4 for loading the tenders...which meant that the tenders were *right outside our window*. In addition to the noise, it was also jarring to see the tenders and lots of people when we opened the curtains. While I loved the family oceanview rooms, I would avoid deck 5 in most cases.

Also, deck 5 is under a public deck, so any furniture movement from above can be heard in the cabin. We were startled awake a few times when people in the library or card room above us dragged a chair or a table late at night. Ugh.

13 hours ago, www3traveler said:

The lower and more centered a person is on a ship will be the best ride. Their is more movement the higher and closer to the bow and stern you go