Viking Newbies Question Regarding Evening Attire-Ladies

kkelley

Good morning! I would like to first thank all of the cruisers that take the time to post and help other people on the Cruise Critic Board. I have been a member for many years and do not post frequently, but read frequently.

I have one simple question regarding the ladies attire for the evening. We are veteran cruisers on many lines, not loyal to any one line, we shop by itinerary.

Today is prep day (laying out all the clothes) prior to packing for the West Indies Transatlantic.

Simple question for ladies dress, I will wear capri slacks on some evenings on other cruise lines. Will this be an appropriate attire for Viking evenings. 

Quick and simple and thank you in advance. 

If dressy rather than casual they will be fine, or if worn with a nice top. 

Nobody dresses up, jackets and ties are rare. Many women wear slacks and flat shoes, and go for a fancy shawl or earrings to add a bit of glam. 

The only things to avoid are jeans and trainers

1 hour ago, kkelley said:

Thank you for the response. Dressy, starched and nice tops.  Earrings are required in my wardrobe. 😂

The earrings are optional, that's just what I've seen people do. We just go for no jeans or trainers, collared shirts and generally not looking scruffy. I haven't worn a skirt or dressed up in 30 years, and that was for a garden party at Buckingham Palace. Lots voluntarily go for a dressier look than the dress code requires. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madmedic said:

Another question from my DW on the topic of evening attire. She likes to wear a nice cocktail dress in the evening, nothing too glitzy.. Would she feel overdressed?

No, there will be people in casual in the evening, if they are eating in the World Cafe, but many like to dress up a bit in the evenings

• Like 1

2 hours ago, madmedic said:

Another question from my DW on the topic of evening attire. She likes to wear a nice cocktail dress in the evening, nothing too glitzy.. Would she feel overdressed?

I like to get dressed up for dinner, particularly if we’re going to Manfredi’s or Chefs Table - I often wear a dress or trousers & a dressier top.  I find there’s not many occasions now where you can dress up so our cruise is the ideal opportunity.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, madmedic said:

IMHO, as long as it is within the stated dress code (because I am not advocating anarchy), wear what you want as long as it makes you happy!  This is your vacation and it is your choice what you wear. If dressing up makes you happy, then do it -- and do it with joy. 

As to the question, would she feel overdressed, that is something only she can answer. Would she be overdressed? First, I don't like the term "overdressed;" it is judgemental.  Let's put it this way, a small number of women chose to wear cocktail dresses -- just as a small number of men choose to wear blazers/sports jackets.

All I say don't be like one older couple that I saw on one cruise. They were the most unhappy looking couple I have even seen on a cruise ship. Every night, he wore a double-breasted suit, she wore a cocktail dress and the family jewels. They looked elegant.  Each night, they sat alone at their table, stone-faced and stone-cold silent. I don't think I ever saw them talk to one another let alone to anyone at a nearby table. Every night, they looked miserable and unhappy -- and not because of what they wore but what they didn't wear -- a smile.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

IMHO, as long as it is within the stated dress code (because I am not advocating anarchy), wear what you want as long as it makes you happy!  This is your vacation and it is your choice what you wear. If dressing up makes you happy, then do it -- and do it with joy. 

As to the question, would she feel overdressed, that is something only she can answer. Would she be overdressed? First, I don't like the term "overdressed;" it is judgemental.  Let's put it this way, a small number of women chose to wear cocktail dresses -- just as a small number of men choose to wear blazers/sports jackets.

All I say don't be like one older couple that I saw on one cruise. They were the most unhappy looking couple I have even seen on a cruise ship. Every night, he wore a double-breasted suit, she wore a cocktail dress and the family jewels. They looked elegant.  Each night, they sat alone at their table, stone-faced and stone-cold silent. I don't think I ever saw them talk to one another let alone to anyone at a nearby table. Every night, they looked miserable and unhappy -- and not because of what they wore but what they didn't wear -- a smile.

Totally agree with you Peregrina!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

Viking specifically mentions jeans but I have not seen anything that bans trainers.

Sportswear isn't allowed unless in the gym or pool. But regardless, the smart casual dress code, when applicable, would exclude trainers

34 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Sportswear isn't allowed unless in the gym or pool. But regardless, the smart casual dress code, when applicable, would exclude trainers

I wonder if Lulu leggings and a nice tunic or sweater would be okay, or would the leggings be considered sportswear?

2 hours ago, millybess said:

I wonder if Lulu leggings and a nice tunic or sweater would be okay, or would the leggings be considered sportswear?

I've worn full-length, skinny-leg pants with a nice tunic or long sweater dozens of times in the Restaurant.  While these aren't technically leggings, the look is similar/almost identical to me, so I think you'd be just fine.  I think of mine more as "stretch pants" like Laura Petrie would have worn.  Maybe the only difference is that the material is a little thicker than actual leggings, but I don't think anyone would notice that.

• Thanks 1

Sorry I am from the UK - Laura who ?

In many places in Europe, including the UK, it has been fashionable over the past couple of years to wear white 'sneakers' (not a term we usually use in the UK we call them 'trainers') with dresses of all lengths.   Now we are going into Autumn the white shoes are often replaced with boots - short, medium or knee high - sometimes with high heels but often flat and chunky.

Skinny trousers (sometimes called jeggings) would be fine, provided they are not worn with an athletic type vest.  For the age range onboard  a  longish top, to cover our midriffs and possibly our tummies and rear ends would be preferable.

I am happy with whatever people care to wear, but the "I just climbed up to the Parthenon and haven't bothered to  shower  or change my clothes" is not nice.  It really does not take much time to wash.

Personally I like to dress up a little and not wear what I would for an afternoon gardening.  I like to think of dinner onboard as an occasion.  

• Like 9

As Mrs Miggins says, trainers are now very much part of fashion trends- thank goodness for those of us who still like to wear dresses but need a lot of support in the footwear department.  My physio is absolutely delighted at this development.  Of course, I do have a pair of smarter indoor trainers for that occasion. 
Viking have no issue if you wear trainers in the evening wherever you eat onboard- we actually specifically checked up onboard on that. 
However unless it’s a result of a late running trip ashore, I see no reason to wear day excursion gear in the evening on an ocean cruise 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Sorry I am from the UK - Laura who ?

In many places in Europe, including the UK, it has been fashionable over the past couple of years to wear white 'sneakers' (not a term we usually use in the UK we call them 'trainers') with dresses of all lengths.   Now we are going into Autumn the white shoes are often replaced with boots - short, medium or knee high - sometimes with high heels but often flat and chunky.

Skinny trousers (sometimes called jeggings) would be fine, provided they are not worn with an athletic type vest.  For the age range onboard  a  longish top, to cover our midriffs and possibly our tummies and rear ends would be preferable.

I am happy with whatever people care to wear, but the "I just climbed up to the Parthenon and haven't bothered to  shower  or change my clothes" is not nice.  It really does not take much time to wash.

Personally I like to dress up a little and not wear what I would for an afternoon gardening.  I like to think of dinner onboard as an occasion.  

"...for the age range on board, a longish top, to cover midriffs and possibly tummies and rear ends would be preferable."  

For sure!  Of course, I think anyone over the age of 6 or 7 looks a whole lot better with their read ends covered with they're in any type of leggings.  I also just thought of the term we used to use for the Laura Petrie-type pants...ski pants!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, aungrl said:

"...for the age range on board, a longish top, to cover midriffs and possibly tummies and rear ends would be preferable."  

Thinking about what to pack for our Panama Canal trip later this year.  I guess I will leave the tube tops at home.  😎

• Haha 2